5Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Lee R
  • 2 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First time to remove sprocket cover after 20k miles

I know I should have cleaned it out before, but I'm a busy guy - sue me. I didn't plan to bother until I replaced the chain, which will be in the next few days. It had been getting pretty noisy and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I saw a big blob of this gunk sitting on the top of my kickstand after falling out of the housing. The chain was dragging through it. Surprisingly, the chain looked pretty good after cleaning it all up, but it is pretty stretched. The sprockets still look like they're basically brand new, so I'll just be replacing the chain.

It took about 4 hours, almost 2 cans of WD-40 and an entire roll of paper towels to get it all cleaned up. It was caked all along the chain guide and everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60346467_2258317974230984_4220867457897725952_n.jpg (65.6 KB, 83 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You may want to actually look at new sprockets before making that determination, especially the front. You will have accelerated wear and maybe/probably some vibration using the old sprockets. If the rear looks decent, do flip it. The front has got to be toast, despite looking "OK".

I had to use old sprockets/new chain on a trip. The chain was done at 4k miles. That was mostly spirited mountain riding, though. As a comparison, the same DID xring chain mounted with new sprockets is still in excellent shape at 18k miles, with a lot of spirited riding, also. (This poor bike)

As always, YMMV.

And do not use a clip on master link, DAMHIK,IJK.

Have fun!

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
I know I should have cleaned it out before, but I'm a busy guy - sue me. I didn't plan to bother until I replaced the chain, which will be in the next few days. It had been getting pretty noisy and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I saw a big blob of this gunk sitting on the top of my kickstand after falling out of the housing. The chain was dragging through it. Surprisingly, the chain looked pretty good after cleaning it all up, but it is pretty stretched. The sprockets still look like they're basically brand new, so I'll just be replacing the chain.

It took about 4 hours, almost 2 cans of WD-40 and an entire roll of paper towels to get it all cleaned up. It was caked all along the chain guide and everywhere.
I have a small putty knife that I use, then some window cleaner and paper towels, you may be surprised, but I use window cleaner on my barbecue for removing grease.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:03 PM

All the goop in there led me to try Eddies WD-40 solamente on my last chain.My new chain Im using Teflon spray and WD. Trying to get away from the thick,gooey stuff that ends up in there! Yea,Ive used a butter knife to scoop all that stuff out first before I use solvents to wash it out...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I cleaned mine at about 6500 miles... Used Goop Hand Cleaner and a brush then some Kerosene to get the stubborn stuff off....

P1020240 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020243 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I cleaned mine at about 6500 miles... Used Goop Hand Cleaner and a brush then some Kerosene to get the stubborn stuff off....

P1020240 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I was expecting Joe to chime in - HIS front sprocket area looks like you could eat off it - while his BEFORE pic (above) looks like an AFTER CLEANING pic of mine....
weljo2001 and quexpress like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM

Not a big deal, if anything a little more wear on the chain and sprockets, but they aren't super expensive to replace and depending on how much you ride it could be years before you need too. If you don't like cleaning just accept the extra wear and replace them sooner. Life's to short to worry about stuff like that. Just watch for kinked chain links or actual chain problems so you don't break a chain through total neglect lol.

I used to commute by bike (moving out of the far north so I will again) and at 25,000 miles a year chain maintenance became a once a week at best thing and I've had my sprocket cover cake up like that. I still got 20-25k out of a chain and rear sprocket. The fronts tended to last less but who care's they cost like 10 dollars. The entire combo is @ $75-100 and takes maybe 30 minutes to change out every 10-15k if you abuse it. You will get much better life if you take the time to clean/maintain or just replace more often.
quexpress likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Chain replaced, all is well again in the world, the V feels like a new machine again. I did go ahead and replace the rear sprocket, and INTENDED to do the front sprocket also. Holy Jesus, I couldn't crack it. I don't have an impact gun so I had to go by the way of breaker bar with pipe extension. It just wouldn't budge for me, so i gave up. The front sprocket is still in great shape so I'm not too worried. I don't know what the factory torque is on that nut, but it has to be something like 500 ft lbs. And the biggest insult is how shallow the nut itself is, compared to the rear axle nut. It's hard to get a good bite and keep the socket on it. I'll just take it to a shop whenever I feel the need to replace it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Chain replaced, all is well again in the world, the V feels like a new machine again. I did go ahead and replace the rear sprocket, and INTENDED to do the front sprocket also. Holy Jesus, I couldn't crack it. I don't have an impact gun so I had to go by the way of breaker bar with pipe extension. It just wouldn't budge for me, so i gave up. The front sprocket is still in great shape so I'm not too worried. I don't know what the factory torque is on that nut, but it has to be something like 500 ft lbs. And the biggest insult is how shallow the nut itself is, compared to the rear axle nut. It's hard to get a good bite and keep the socket on it. I'll just take it to a shop whenever I feel the need to replace it.
It's probably the highest torqued part on the bike. Just take it in they can pop it off and replace it very quickly.
weljo2001 and VersysCurses like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Not a big deal, if anything a little more wear on the chain and sprockets, but they aren't super expensive to replace and depending on how much you ride it could be years before you need too. If you don't like cleaning just accept the extra wear and replace them sooner. Life's to short to worry about stuff like that. Just watch for kinked chain links or actual chain problems so you don't break a chain through total neglect lol.

I used to commute by bike (moving out of the far north so I will again) and at 25,000 miles a year chain maintenance became a once a week at best thing and I've had my sprocket cover cake up like that. I still got 20-25k out of a chain and rear sprocket. The fronts tended to last less but who care's they cost like 10 dollars. The entire combo is @ $75-100 and takes maybe 30 minutes to change out every 10-15k if you abuse it. You will get much better life if you take the time to clean/maintain or just replace more often.
25,000 miles a year? That's some serious riding brother. I thought I was going overboard at 10k miles a year, ha!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
25,000 miles a year? That's some serious riding brother. I thought I was going overboard at 10k miles a year, ha!

And it's been winter for 3 of those and away for travel another 3

I look forward to living down south again where you can ride all year round, then who needs the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode