Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Car dealers

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Axel Johansson 
#1 ·
I know this is ever so slightly off topic but I’d appreciate anyone’s input on this “issue”.

I’m looking for a used car and found one at Carmax. Price was right and the car has all that I want. It had to be shipped to my local store but it’s free shipping so lucky me.

Within minutes of requesting the store to store transfer I noticed that the price had suddenly increased by $2,000 on the website.

I have the “we’ve found your car” email from the search criteria I had set up, the text I sent the store rep requesting the transfer, and screen shots of the website that shows the car, mileage, VIN, stock #, and price (pre increase).

To me this just smacks of blatant price gouging, though I’m expecting them to say that market conditions impact pricing. Of course nothing has been said to me about this sudden price hike so it should be an “entertaining meeting” when I go and see it 😄.

Has anyone else experienced this, or care to share their thoughts.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess this is why people call it stealership.
in any case, try to document the price increase, it is great that you post this in this forum, people will know about the credibility of carmax.
If you can document this in other fora, it is certainly a blow to them.
Having said that, it is also something you can use during your “entertaining meeting”.
Good luck

#3 ·
Do NOT sign ANYTHING until you get the deal you want!

Know what the wholesale value of the vehicle is and be willing to pay a reasonable amount above that for them to make a profit. After you’ve inspected the vehicle, and it meets your criteria, you can have fun with the paperwork. When the sales ass(ociate) hands you their first draft of the agreement, strike the initial price and write in a price at least 1k lower than they had previously advertised. Lower if the vehicle isn’t as good as advertised (very likely). Then strike all other admin fees, warranties, and up charges other than those required by law.

Then let them scamper off to their boss. Tell them you are leaving in 5 minutes if they haven’t returned by then. When they come back with a counter offer (higher than your offer), review it, and strike the price and reduce it $500 below your initial offer and hand it back. Repeat as required to get the price you want, or leave them hanging with yet another unsold vehicle on their lot. You can even write something to the effect that it is a limited time offer that expires at a time of you choosing before walking out.

The worst they can do is refuse your offer. Since the used car market is beyond saturated, they can either accept your offer, or you can make some one else’s commission cheque bigger.

It’s a buyers market, be an aggressive buyer!

#4 ·
We bought our last vehicle from Carmax, and we found them honest and very easy to work with. That said, call the location the car is going to. Speak with a salesperson or the sales manager. Explain all this to them and ask about the website sudden price increase. Let them know the information you have, and that the information/price is what prompted you to request the *free* transfer. If they won't honor the pre-ship price, don't go see or test drive the car. Period. You haven't signed anything. You owe them nothing.

#5 ·
I have found Carmax cars to be overpriced, but are a good source for those who don't want to negotiate. At least you know when you see another car with the "CarMax" logo on the rear that they overpaid as well and you can form some kind of club.

I don't buy into the "we price based on the market and not what the insurance company will pay out if the used car gets stolen tomorrow" There should be no immediate depreciation on a used car.

Of course this is one of the reasons I will never own a jeep wrangler. Too many people willing to pay too much to own one, and the fact that they are proven to be less than reliable.

#7 ·
If too many are willing to pay too much, then it is a market force determining the price.

Arguably people find whatever service or assurance CarMax provides to be worth paying a premium over other sources for the same car. Other people may not find it worth the premium, but CarMax is serving a particular market.

It is the same with very many products where objectively the price is too high, but for whatever reason there is a large enough group of buyers willing to pay that premium.

#8 ·
Bingo. And I'm the target market. I don't want to play the game. I research what I want, know what I'm willing to pay, and just want to buy. I don't want to haggle, I don't want to be upsold, I just want to buy a dang car. I actually prefer private party sales because it's a quick conversation regarding price. CarMax has a lot to look at and choose from and the warranties they offer are outstanding.

So let's make a deal - you go haggle and be aggressive and I'll pay what I think is fair without the game and we'll both be happy with our purchase. No need to insult each other's methods.

Nope I said no games...take it or leave it.

#9 ·
Update:

Once my local store told me they’d received the car and I’d arranged the test drive, I mentioned to them the pricing issue. To his credit, my rep listened to what I had to say, asked me to forward him the screen shots and told me he’d get it figured out.
Within the hour he called back and told me Carmax will honor the original listed price. The local store blamed the shipping store for trying to jack up the price. I think having the website screen shots helped them make their decision 😄. If the car checks out I’ll probably buy it as it’s now a screaming deal.........to go along with the killer deal I got on my Versys!

Dave

#12 ·
Well, they basically forgot to add in the 3 option packages when it was initially listed. It’s priced at just under $21k w/ 24k miles, model year 2017. Its got the base 2.4l engine instead of the turbo, but it’s fully loaded. Only seen pics but will test it tomorrow. I’m very happy with the price as long as everything checks out.

Dave

#15 · (Edited)
Many car dealerships do this trick. I mean, suddenly adding an extra 2K to the price. It’s like simulating you to buy it now before the price goes up even more.
I’m not sure whether it’s this case, but if you look for a car online, they can track you with cookies and affect your mind but a sudden price increase. They’re just testing your limits as they do it in-store too.
So, look for other options online, and you can find something suitable. Besides, online it became even easier to find a good ride. I’ve even read recently the post on how to get a car without a license. So, everything is possible now.

#16 ·
Your first problem is dealing with Carmax. That place is an absolute joke. When my son was selling his car, they offered him $1,500 for his car. He ended up selling it to an individual for $8,000. Carmax had similar cars (year, mileage, and condition) on their site for $12,000-$14,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.