Torn Between Two Bikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Torn Between Two Bikes

Iíve got a long term decision to make that wonít affect me till the end of next riding season. I have two bikes and may have to get rid one. One of my bikes obviously a 2016 Versys 650LT. My other is a 2007 Honda Interceptor I picked up last year. Iíve fallen in love with the Interceptor but I donít think it would be the smart one to keep. Right now every time I think of going for a ride I want to take the VFR, itís just so addicting. Got some time to think about this but donít know what Iím going to do when the day comes along.
Nonsequitur likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lost between two lovers and feeling like a fools...

Turk and Nonsequitur like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My views have changed significantly over the last few years. I always rode cruisers until they just got too big and heavy for me and my abilities. I fooled myself into thinking I'd never ride anything but a cruiser.
Then I found the CTX, then slowly worked my way into the ADV world with a V-strom and now the Versys.
Last summer I bought a used 2007 EX500 Ninja. What a blast that thing was to ride!!! And I never thought I'd be on a sports bike.

So I know what you're feeling...it IS addicting to ride those things!!! I sold the EX but wish I had kept it. It was just so much fun to zip around on it!

With that said, if I was to get another Kawi, it'd probably be a Ninja650. They feel comfortable to me and since most of my riding is commuting and one summer out of state(s) trip I'm thinking that's the direction I'm going in on my next bike purchase. I really like those FJR's but I'm beginning to think they're just not practical...until I'm retired.

So, I'd keep the one that you ride the most and for the purposes you need it for. Always "fun" to own more than one motorcycle but then you have the dilemma you're in now...which one gets ridden, and which one sits. (Plus the extra costs that comes with extra motorcycles!).

I'd ask myself...which one do I "need" and which one do I "want".
Nonsequitur likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
With that said, if I was to get another Kawi, it'd probably be a Ninja650.

The Ninja 650 is the reason I bought the Versys. I owned a 2012 before I bought my Versys, used it as a sports tourer with soft saddlebags. Loved that bike but wanted integrated, hard, lockable luggage plus the Versys was a bit more comfortable, adjustable windscreen, it just made more sense. The tuning of the Ninja motor was much better for me and I got better fuel mileage. If Kawasaki made the Ninja 650 with integrated luggage like the 1000 I would probably still own it.

And youíre right, it will be a need vs want.
Devilsfan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Right now every time I think of going for a ride I want to take the VFR, it’s just so addicting. Got some time to think about this but don’t know what I’m going to do when the day comes along.
Know what you mean about the VFR. I've owned three of them (1993, 1999, 2000), and yes, they are addicting. My 2000 was my favorite bike of all time. I wish I could have kept it but 4 shoulder operations and development of an arthritic neck put an end to my viffer love affair. Now I have to ride sitting straight up which is why I now have a Versys. Great bike but it will never replace the VFR as my favorite.

Gone but not forgotten:

Turk, Devilsfan and Nonsequitur like this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Know what you mean about the VFR. Great bike but it will never replace the VFR as my favorite.

Gone but not forgotten:

Nice! And you had the 5th gen considered by many to be the best of the VFRís with the great whine of the gear driven cams. Love that yellow paint job too.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Did a "test-ride" Saturday on an Indian Scout.

I've ridden H-Ds w/ 'forward controls' before, but MY reality is that I HATE them!, and the Scout did NOT change my mind.

NICE bike otherwise.

turn8a and biglefti like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
My views have changed significantly over the last few years. I always rode cruisers until they just got too big and heavy for me and my abilities. I fooled myself into thinking I'd never ride anything but a cruiser.
Then I found the CTX, then slowly worked my way into the ADV world with a V-strom and now the Versys.
Last summer I bought a used 2007 EX500 Ninja. What a blast that thing was to ride!!! And I never thought I'd be on a sports bike.

So I know what you're feeling...it IS addicting to ride those things!!! I sold the EX but wish I had kept it. It was just so much fun to zip around on it!

With that said, if I was to get another Kawi, it'd probably be a Ninja650. They feel comfortable to me and since most of my riding is commuting and one summer out of state(s) trip I'm thinking that's the direction I'm going in on my next bike purchase. I really like those FJR's but I'm beginning to think they're just not practical...until I'm retired.

So, I'd keep the one that you ride the most and for the purposes you need it for. Always "fun" to own more than one motorcycle but then you have the dilemma you're in now...which one gets ridden, and which one sits. (Plus the extra costs that comes with extra motorcycles!).

Funny, I am in the exact opposite situation, as I rode for almost 25 years before I even swung a leg over a cruiser. There was a sort of personal bias, but I started on super sports (had 2 R6s before I stepped up to a R1), while I had the R1, I was commuting on it daily, and my brother ended up giving me his V-Strom 650; which instantly became my commuter. The R1 ended up being totalled by a left turner who struck me, so I rode the V-Strom daily and replaced the weekend bike with several different "experiments", a FZ6R, ZX6R, CRB1000RR, and another R1. In 2014 we moved quite a ways away from where I work, and I got rid of everything but the V-Strom and picked up a new Mustang GT. Eventually the Mustang took over as my commuter and I sold the V-Strom and put all of my gear into boxes and into the garage; but my heart still longed for 2 wheels.

When my wife had a medical emergency it put some things in perspective for me, and I decided I would sell my Mustang to get her the car she had been wanting for a few months (after my brother bought the same car and she fell in love with it). The Mustang made a nice dent, and huge down payment for her new car, and left me with enough to get back on a motorcycle. I went to buy a Yamaha FZ-09, but while I was at the dealership I swung my leg over the Versys that now belongs to me, and has racked all of my miles through the winter until earlier this month. My younger brother decided he wanted a cruiser, after my wife and I found him his dream bike and bought him a used ZX14R. At the time he had a FZ6R that was his weekend ride, and it was being neglected for the ZX14R; so he asked if I could work a deal for a trade. After several attempts from Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, I reached out to the dealership that I bought my Versys from and negotiated a straight trade, his immaculate 2012 FZ6R, for a low mileage Yamaha V-Star (XVS1100) Custom. I didn't get to ride it until we got it all the way home, but I was instantly taken by the cruiser bug. After looking for a couple weeks, and reading quite a bit, I added a VTX1800F3 to the garage next to my Versys. Needless to say the VTX has been my commute animal for the last few weeks and I am really loving it!

TL;DR - After riding for years I finally tried a cruiser, and then 2 weeks later, bought one to keep my Versys company.
Fastoman, Turk and Devilsfan like this.

A Degree and a DD-214.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Did a "test-ride" Saturday on an Indian Scout.

I've ridden H-Ds w/ 'forward controls' before, but MY reality is that I HATE them!, and the Scout did NOT change my mind.

NICE bike otherwise.

I test rode a Scout a few times and I really liked the bike as well but like you I couldn't get past the forward controls. They do have a factory modification to have mid-mount controls but it's still forward of your knees I believe, just not as extreme. Then of course there is the new FTR from Indian. A very interesting machine.

But, I'm still stuck with my decision.

The object of my affection.

I think I will do the ECU flash to my Versys, if it does what I've read it may sway my opinion of keeping the bike longer. I really do like my Versys as well, it's like an unsung hero that just keeps on doing it's job so well.

Last edited by Turk; 05-07-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Going down to one bike is a dilemma I hope to never have to face.

For me it would come down to why am I dropping down to one bike.

If it is for financial reasons I would obviously keep the bike with the lower cost to own. Fuel economy, insurance, registration.

If I am only going to be riding local roads it would be the one best suited for local roads.

If it was for health reasons and my riding was going to be limited it would be the one I want to caress in the garage and hang out with.

If it was because I was selling everything and hitting the road it would be the one most capable of taking me there and has the support structure if needed.

Or I might just find that dream bike and get it.

Good luck with your decision.
turn8a likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Going down to one bike is a dilemma I hope to never have to face.

For me it would come down to why am I dropping down to one bike.

Good luck with your decision.
I suppose I never mentioned the reason. Next year in August my lease on my Smart Car runs out. Because of the Smart car I can actually fit three motorcycles in my garage with the car. When the lease is over I'm probably going to get a larger electric car and will no longer have space for more than one bike. I could park one of the bikes outside I suppose but I don't really like that idea. Maybe store it off site in Winter Don't want to park the car outside either. We live in a heavily forested area and between the tree sap and numerous acorn dents my previous car endured it's not a good option I also have a really strange yard layout that prevents me from adding on to the garage or adding a shed which would be a good alternative.

I've been eyeing a BMW R1200R or RS as a replacement for both or if I don't want to spend that much cash maybe a Tracer GT. I've got time to think.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I suppose I never mentioned the reason. Next year in August my lease on my Smart Car runs out. Because of the Smart car I can actually fit three motorcycles in my garage with the car. When the lease is over I'm probably going to get a larger electric car and will no longer have space for more than one bike. I could park one of the bikes outside I suppose but I don't really like that idea. Maybe store it off site in Winter Don't want to park the car outside either. We live in a heavily forested area and between the tree sap and numerous acorn dents my previous car endured it's not a good option I also have a really strange yard layout that prevents me from adding on to the garage or adding a shed which would be a good alternative.

I've been eyeing a BMW R1200R or RS as a replacement for both or if I don't want to spend that much cash maybe a Tracer GT. I've got time to think.
When I was between garages and needed a place to store my bikes I bought a 5x8 enclosed trailer with a ramp door to store my bikes.It was like a portable garage.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post

When I was between garages and needed a place to store my bikes I bought a 5x8 enclosed trailer with a ramp door to store my bikes.It was like a portable garage.
Now that I am not physically able to distance ride I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer to haul the bikes and be my portable garage at hotels.
turn8a likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...I've been eyeing a BMW R1200R or RS as a replacement for both or if I don't want to spend that much cash maybe a Tracer GT. I've got time to think.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:

You don't even have this much room? https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...w=1536&bih=754

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You don't even have this much room? https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...w=1536&bih=754

Nope. Trust me I looked at those. Along the side of the garage where that would fit we have an above ground heating oil tank. The other side of the house is set into a hill with a tiered garden. There is no access to the very small backyard that would be suitable for a motorcycle to traverse. We have a very strange lot as it was the last house built on the cul-de-sac, long drive off the main road and then built into a hill, sorta like a lopsided mushroom.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nope. Trust me I looked at those. Along the side of the garage where that would fit we have an above ground heating oil tank. The other side of the house is set into a hill with a tiered garden. There is no access to the very small backyard that would be suitable for a motorcycle to traverse. We have a very strange lot as it was the last house built on the cul-de-sac, long drive off the main road and then built into a hill, sorta like a lopsided mushroom.
OK. Last attempt.

https://www.harborfreight.com/low-pr...lly-95896.html

and roll the bike into a corner. Get two if you need both bikes on one to make it work.

I know ordinances are awful in New England, but how about a carport roof in front of the garage entrance to expand the roof coverage of the garage?

Final attempt. Rent a storage space nearby. Can't be too much for a one bike storage unit.

I'm done. Good luck with your decision.

Oh, and if you have to get down to one bike, take a look at the new Moto Guzzi V85.
Turk likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 AM

Garage
how about a cycle shell?

CycleShell Enclosure - Outdoor Motorcycle Cover - Protection

used one for sale on ADVrider, in Mass

09 V650
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnap View Post
how about a cycle shell?

CycleShell Enclosure - Outdoor Motorcycle Cover - Protection

used one for sale on ADVrider, in Mass
This could actually work. Iíve forgotten about these. I was considering purchasing one when we almost bought a condo down in Cambridge. We do have a side drive where I could place this. Iíll keep this in mind and some of twowheelís shed suggestions.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

tough choice, especially with the red/white/blue paint job on that VFR, was always my favorite color on the VFR.

Tracer would probably split the difference, and is faster than both ... but if you ride with the ball of your foot on the peg, you will hate the Tracer, the passenger pegs are too far forward and I kept catching my heel on them when I test rode the Tracer (I do ride with the ball of my foot on the pegs). That and the Versys 1k SE happened and I am fairly certain that will be my next bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode