More newbie questions...spools and stands - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ohio Rider
  • 1 Post By Ohio Rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

More newbie questions...spools and stands

I want to be able to lift up my new Versys...primarily to clean/oil my chain. I have not used spools and a lift before. With my Rebel 300, I used a 'snapjack' and it did the job. (Snapjack will not work on my Versys...not to mention the Versys is a lot heavier with much higher center of gravity)

So while investigating spools, some things I ran across mention spools are for protecting the swing arm from damage if the bike falls over. While this may be true, I thought spools primary function is for lifting the bike up with a stand?

I have found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756WSC1H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Next...what about the stand? My biggest (or first) question is what about width & height? How do you know the stand height will get the bike off the ground? (different tire/wheel sizes will effect this) What about the width/distance between the arms? Is this an industry standard? Some stands look adjustable, some don't. I'm looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcy...e%2C151&sr=1-3

At this point, all I'm looking for is lifting for ease of chain maintenance, but I suppose the two piece lift mentioned above would be good for winter storage.

Comments/observations/guidance are appreciated.
HoosierFordMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
I want to be able to lift up my new Versys...primarily to clean/oil my chain. I have not used spools and a lift before. With my Rebel 300, I used a 'snapjack' and it did the job. (Snapjack will not work on my Versys...not to mention the Versys is a lot heavier with much higher center of gravity)

So while investigating spools, some things I ran across mention spools are for protecting the swing arm from damage if the bike falls over. While this may be true, I thought spools primary function is for lifting the bike up with a stand?

I have found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756WSC1H...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Next...what about the stand? My biggest (or first) question is what about width & height? How do you know the stand height will get the bike off the ground? (different tire/wheel sizes will effect this) What about the width/distance between the arms? Is this an industry standard? Some stands look adjustable, some don't. I'm looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcy...e%2C151&sr=1-3

At this point, all I'm looking for is lifting for ease of chain maintenance, but I suppose the two piece lift mentioned above would be good for winter storage.

Comments/observations/guidance are appreciated.
I intially put spools on and purchased a bike lift for the same reasons as you. I wanted to make lubing the chain easier and an my VERSYSOCD, for keeping the wheels clean. I struggled with the lift I bought, making several modifications, without success, due to not having good clearance to the rear end of the bike.
This year, I purchased and installed a center stand and couldnt be happier.
Should have went this direction in the first place.
Just my opinion/experience.
Hope you find what you are looking for!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
im not a fan of the front stand that lifts by the bottom of the forks.good price on the pair you linked though

i use one that lifts from the head/ triple tree.
dont try to use front stand without having bike on rear stand first!

09 V650

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 05-04-2019 at 01:40 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Not sure about the Venom stands (I know a few members on here own them) but I had to get the Pit Bull triple-tree stand for the front (if you're ever going to do front tire work I strongly suggest a triple-tree stand!!!). The Pit Bull can be used as a fork lift or you can buy the attachment for the triple-tree lift. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT PLUG for the triple-tree!!!

But if you're just doing a rear lift...get one of those Harbor Freight ones. I use one and they're fine...and cheaper $$$.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...and-99701.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Looks like Amazon sells the rear half of what I linked in the original post. All I really want to do at this moment is clean/oil the chain. $49...and we get a 5% Amazon discount with free shipping. I could also see me using it when I do oil changes....although I don't know if it's necessary, and I'd see how sturdy the bike is before I start torquing/twisting the oil filter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036QX4EY..._t2_B0036QZ8VQ

I know this may sound/look obvious, but I want to make sure the stuff (lift and spools) are the correct equipment for what I'm trying to do.
HoosierFordMan likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 AM

I think you need 10mm rear spools. The ones you linked to are 8mm.

T-Rex makes super sturdy stands, but they are full price too. At $49 I don't think you can go wrong as long as you can return the item if it doesn't work for you.

The rear fender gets in the way of some of the rear stands, but you may be able to bend it out of the way. That would be my main concern with the model you are looking at with that little cross piece up by the handle.

You don't need a track stand to change the oil. I do use one because it is a lot easier to get access to the drain plug if it isn't tilted over on the sidestand. FWIW, with my rear stand the appearance of the oil level doesn't change compared to not having the rear lifted. Some people refuse to add oil with the rear lifted, but the real world difference for my V650 on my stand is imperceptible.

The rear stand is by far the best way to go for chain clean/lube. But when I go on a road trip I use a Pack-Jack, basically the same thing as your Snap-Jack. The rear stand is vastly superior and worth buying just for chain maintenance.

A front triple-tree stand is really nice to have for front end maintenance. You'll want a really solid one, not necessarily the cheapest you can find. A simple front fork lift is probably not going to meet your needs if you are going to do your own tire changes, tire balancing, or brake servicing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I think you need 10mm rear spools. The ones you linked to are 8mm.

T-Rex makes super sturdy stands, but they are full price too. At $49 I don't think you can go wrong as long as you can return the item if it doesn't work for you.

The rear fender gets in the way of some of the rear stands, but you may be able to bend it out of the way. That would be my main concern with the model you are looking at with that little cross piece up by the handle.

You don't need a track stand to change the oil. I do use one because it is a lot easier to get access to the drain plug if it isn't tilted over on the sidestand. FWIW, with my rear stand the appearance of the oil level doesn't change compared to not having the rear lifted. Some people refuse to add oil with the rear lifted, but the real world difference for my V650 on my stand is imperceptible.

The rear stand is by far the best way to go for chain clean/lube. But when I go on a road trip I use a Pack-Jack, basically the same thing as your Snap-Jack. The rear stand is vastly superior and worth buying just for chain maintenance.
In my original post, I did see where I linked to a Ninja rather than the Versys. But now I've found a Versys spool, and they still list it as 8mm. I'll email the dealership.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Swingar...omotive&sr=1-2

But this gets me thinking....If I have the spools, I can perhaps still make use of my snapjack on road trips. But like I said above, I'll be nervous about using it. It seemed slightly scary on the rebel 300...which is considerably lighter and lower center of gravity. But still, worth looking into.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Dealership says 8mm
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Model / Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
Dealership says 8mm
When you post the Model and year is always helpful, if your dealer said 8 mm then I would guess it is a 650 Versys 2015 or newer, previous years were 10 mm, as my 07 wouldn't fit my 2015. As to pack jack etc.I have a thread and several more under Stand
in the How To Forum , I have a rear pit stand and also the Venom triple tree stand for use at home, the rest of the time I carry my homemade prop stand, I can lift either the front or rear wheel for tire plugging or chain lubing, the effort for the rear is about like lifting 40 pounds with one arm. One thing to note, anyone with a center stand, be aware if you get a flat, you will need help to get it up, and also you need to be cautious about level ground. My prop stand has been used on a dirt sloped entrance to a farmers field in the middle of a swamp with mosquitoes like the Off commercial . Most shoulders of roads around here are sloped towards the ditch, so putting the bike on the stand, you are on the left side of the bike and the high side, once it starts going over, you are on the wrong side of the bike to stop it.

I included measurements in this thread;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...T-Rex makes super sturdy stands, but they are full price too....
I originally bought a full set of TREX stands for my AZ V650 (front, rear, triple-tree), then when I bought the '09 for Canada I bought the TREX front, and triple-tree stands, along w/ an H-F rear. I 'stumbled' along w/ that H-F rear-stand until I finally had had enough (it gently started SLOPING to one side - so I was always afraid it would fail on me - and I got my fingers caught by the tail-light extension MANY times) and so I ordered the TREX rear stand to go w/ the fronts I already had - NOW I'm a 'happy camper'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode