Engine got louder all of a sudden? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Engine got louder all of a sudden?

Greetings Versyland - I posted this on ADVrider, but didn't really get a good answer - thought I'd try here.

The situation - all of a sudden my motorcycle just seems to "feel louder" to me. I'm Deaf, so it's not an audible thing, however I really do sense a difference than what I remember it used to be, and what it is now.

When I am above 30mph, the engine seems to really "growl" more than I am used to. Below 30mph, is the normal engine feels. Pulling in the clutch really quietens down the bike.

Chain is within specs and lubed. I recently changed from the stock tires to Shinko 705's.

2017 Versys with only 4k miles.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Check engine mounts for proper torque? Are exhaust headers tight?
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post

I recently changed from the stock tires to Shinko 705's.
Tires. Totally different tread pattern than OEM. Ask someone who can hear how much tire noise they hear when you ride past them.
jaaklucas likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That’s interesting. How does this explain pulling in the clutch makes it quiet down?

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Garage
maybe the clutch itself?

if you pull the clutch & rev the engine does it still vibe? if yes, its engine. if no, its probably drive train
quexpress likes this.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
Not to hijack this thread, but I also noticed a considerable audible change when I pulled in the clutch lever. I thought it was just me. I will be following this discussion.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You say that you are deaf...........it seems to me that you are not hearing louder but feeling more vibrations. I would start by checking the entire bike for any thing "loose" that could be causing an increase in vibration. Cupping of the tires will cause this as well as a deep low frequency hum that you may actually feel. Good luck with the search.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Todd, I know it must be difficult to describe how you sense that the engine change is due to deafness, but could it be vibration you are sensing? Yes, noise is vibration, but I guess I'm asking you if you sense the change through the handlebars, seat, footpegs etc?

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Can it be that your hearing got better, cause engine doesn't get louder all of as sudden if nothing is wrong. Run a visual check and check loose fittings.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Tires are suspect, but it could be something loose somewhere -- I'd torque check every bolt and fastener on the bike. If it's still under warranty, perhaps ask the dealer. Or if you know someone with a Gen 3 Versys, ask them to take it for a spin. Noises and vibrations are very difficult to localize and diagnose. Did you make any other changes at all, including windscreen, luggage, tank bag, etc.?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Garage
Have your throttle bodies ever been synced?

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Perhaps the bike is just following your lead?

Your handle is "Roaring" Todd.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Perhaps the bike is just following your lead?

Your handle is "Roaring" Todd.
Good one.

A friend suggested putting the rear wheels in a stand and apply throttle and see if that is indeed the shinkos or something else.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I recently changed from the stock tires to Shinko 705's.
If I were a betting man, I would place all my chips on the different tires.

Tires can totally change the character of a bike. Handling, vibration, and noise are most often affected.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Good one.

A friend suggested putting the rear wheels in a stand and apply throttle and see if that is indeed the shinkos or something else.
Be very careful if you do this. Bad things can happen if things go sideways.

I still think it is the tires and why it changes with the clutch lever pulled is because you eliminated a second component to the vibration. You are feeling a stack up of vibrations and the tires put it over the top. This is just my internet diagnosis.

The other possibility is the change in chain slack, alignment that may have occurred during the tire change that is affecting the frequency and amplitude of the feelings you are getting from the bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
just one more thing to consider... not exactly sure how it could happen but if the air filter or part of the air box is loose or some how failed it could be intake noise.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a new one - the engine now gets very hot when riding within 15 minutes. Fan comes on and just heats up my whole right leg. Never done that.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Here's a new one - the engine now gets very hot when riding within 15 minutes. Fan comes on and just heats up my whole right leg. Never done that.
You never let us know if the previous issue was ever resolved.

It is normal for the fan to come on when the engine reaches a certain temperature in order to help cool it off by pulling air across the radiator. This usually only happens when you are sitting at a light.

Are you wearing different riding pants / shoes than you normally wear?
Where are you located and what are the current temps?
Were you riding steadily at a certain speed or where you riding stop light to stop light?
What is the level of fluid in the overflow container?
When the fan kicked in did the bike cool down or did the fan continue to run?
Have you ever changed the coolant?

What you indicate in your post doesn't sound like a problem, but a feature of the cooling system. If it overheats, then you have a problem which would lead to checking he thermostat, water pump, etc.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You never let us know if the previous issue was ever resolved.

It is normal for the fan to come on when the engine reaches a certain temperature in order to help cool it off by pulling air across the radiator. This usually only happens when you are sitting at a light.

Are you wearing different riding pants / shoes than you normally wear?
Where are you located and what are the current temps?
Were you riding steadily at a certain speed or where you riding stop light to stop light?
What is the level of fluid in the overflow container?
When the fan kicked in did the bike cool down or did the fan continue to run?
Have you ever changed the coolant?

What you indicate in your post doesn't sound like a problem, but a feature of the cooling system. If it overheats, then you have a problem which would lead to checking he thermostat, water pump, etc.
Hey there - no, the sense the engine was running abnormally louder than normal never really got resolved to my satisfaction. The common consensus was that it was from the new tires, however I never bought it.

The fan coming on and spewing hot air happened during riding, not sitting, on a normal ride. I have had this for two years, and this is the first time I've felt all that hot air. Even when I pull into the garage, there is no hot air. Last night as I pulled into the garage, I could feel the fan spinning hot air, which is a first.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Hey there - no, the sense the engine was running abnormally louder than normal never really got resolved to my satisfaction. The common consensus was that it was from the new tires, however I never bought it.

The fan coming on and spewing hot air happened during riding, not sitting, on a normal ride. I have had this for two years, and this is the first time I've felt all that hot air. Even when I pull into the garage, there is no hot air. Last night as I pulled into the garage, I could feel the fan spinning hot air, which is a first.
I would guess that it is time for a cooling system inspection. Start with the level in the recovery tank. Have you smelled any coolant escaping? There would seem to be an issue, somewhere. Also, if the coolant is low enough to not touch the temperature sender the sender will not reflect an accurate reading. In other words, it may not trip the idiot light.

If the coolant is more than two years old, change it. It's a time thing, mostly, not miles.
Smiley likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 05-21-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode