Engine got louder all of a sudden? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm. Just added T-Rex crash bars- would that have anything to do with the extra hot air coming my way? Anyone of you experience that?

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Feel for air pushing out where the exhaust can meets the pipe incase theres a leak around the exhaust gasket. That'll make a lot of noise. Do it cold so you don't burn yourself.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It’s as if the fan comes off and on very three minutes. The exhaust heads are torqued.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
Itís as if the fan comes off and on very three minutes. The exhaust heads are torqued.
Check coolant /oil level first. If fan is activated every 3 minutes , than your engine is overheating.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil just changed. Coolant level full. Nothing has changed other than I added the T-Rex crash bars. I’m baffled as to why the routes I took that never turned on the fan now turns it on every time I’m at a stop l.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
Oil just changed. Coolant level full. Nothing has changed other than I added the T-Rex crash bars. Iím baffled as to why the routes I took that never turned on the fan now turns it on every time Iím at a stop l.
Because we are heading into summer?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright guys - FORGET the hot air - let's solve the reason why Fiona feels so different to me now -

I've narrowed it down to a growl at 3-4500 RPS that wasn't there before. Used to be a purr, now is a growl. At 6,000 rpms, purrs.

Any idea?

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

LOOSE exhaust manifold nuts...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
New tires and/or chain adjusted incorrectly.

Prove me wrong.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm going to take a completely different route on this. Todd is deaf., but He knows something is going on. I agree, it's not "loud" like those of us can hear type loud. Todd has his own way of making sense of the world. I'm not deaf, but my best guess is that he is feeling some vibrations. And he probably feels them much more intensely that the rest of us who are not deaf. So I'm with Todd, something is wrong. Or at least different.

IMO, I don't think it's tires because he says it subsides when the clutch is pulled in. So to me it's engine / drivetrain. Chain and sprockets would be a first thought. After that, I really think Todd needs to involve a person who can hear if anything is actually going on with the engine.

As far as heat... again, Todd knows his bike. But one thing I find is that even folks who know their bikes do is that they fail to consider ambient temp changes. Remember that a cooling system has a limited capacity to shed heat. If it's 95* ambient, you have to know the bike is going to be close to "fan on" temps in a short time as compared to 60* ambient. Todd, if you recall last year at this time / ambient temp, and you think your bike is running hotter this year, it's time to get the system serviced.

And please let us know if you figure out the "growl".
Smiley and RoaringTodd like this.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
something is wrong. Or at least different.

IMO, I don't think it's tires because he says it subsides when the clutch is pulled in. So to me it's engine / drivetrain. Chain and sprockets would be a first thought. After that, I really think Todd needs to involve a person who can hear if anything is actually going on with the engine. And please let us know if you figure out the "growl".
Thank you, Steve, - I've decided to involve my dealer (which is an hour and half away) in the hopes they can identify what I am feeling. There definitely is a difference in how the motorcycle responds compared to this time last year. I've checked what I can for loose bolts and tubes. I agree about the tires, the clutch pulling in quietens things down. it's really growling when accelerating in third to cruising rpm speed. Above that, it's as it should be.

The bike will be brought to the dealer this Friday. Fingers crossed.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:33 AM

This may be a long shot, but it explained the problem when my Versys suddenly got loud.

On a few bikes, particularly with high miles, a stress fracture develops in the exhaust pipe where it slips into the muffler. This happened to me after about 70,000 miles and while I was on a trip. The crack quickly spread and the exhaust was leaking and definitely louder. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. A few others here on the forum had the same issue.

It's probably not your issue, but it's worth taking a light and looking under the bike where the two parts of the exhaust slip together to see if there's any crack or corrosion.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode