Saddlebags...newbie questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ohio Rider
  • 1 Post By frozenhawaiian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saddlebags...newbie questions

I'm a new rider with a new Versys 650....and I'm interested in soft luggage and saddlebags.

My main question is about how to keep the bottom of the saddlebags from tilting inwards and possibly hitting the tire. (or just looking dorky)

I've searched the interwebs, and I can't find if I need to purchase some attachable metal rods to the bike to guard against the bags hitting the tire. (or holding them in place.) Lots of bikes require this.

The luggage mounting slots used for the LT's cases are still there on the 'regular' non-LT version. Is there something purchasable to take advantage of this?...to keep soft bags from tilting inward? (If not, I can't believe some company hasn't come up with something.) The general style of saddlebags I'm looking at have either straps or velcro-enhanced straps between the two bags. Is the idea to make sure the straps are so tight (or just tight enough) that it keeps the bags from tilting in?

I'm also interested in whether I should be taking advantage of the rear seat hand rails. That looks like something that would aid in securing luggage.

Here's the kind of stuff I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077TPKNH4...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-503000...sr=1-2-catcorr

In all the promo pics, they are all perfectly positioned (imagine that) and don't tilt. And even pics online of real users don't have any tilting problems. Any advice is appreciated.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There is a rack system out there that utilizes the LT mounting slots. I can't remember offhand which manufacture it is. There are small bits permanently mounted to the frame, but the main part can be quickly mounted/dismounted using those slots.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

givi also makes racks just mean to support soft bags like the ones you posted, they're a bit cheaper than the one meant to be mounts for hard panniers.
leftbrain99 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
givi also makes racks just mean to support soft bags like the ones you posted, they're a bit cheaper than the one meant to be mounts for hard panniers.
Thanks, if anyone knows about these generic(?) racks for soft bags, I'd appreciate a link. Because the links posted by Flysig are meant for hard cases. I think they could be used for soft cases....but I'm having difficulty with the idea of spending $340 for specific equipment I don't need. ....and spending more on the support frame than the cases themselves.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Rider View Post
Thanks, if anyone knows about these generic(?) racks for soft bags, I'd appreciate a link. Because the links posted by Flysig are meant for hard cases. I think they could be used for soft cases....but I'm having difficulty with the idea of spending $340 for specific equipment I don't need. ....and spending more on the support frame than the cases themselves.
2015-2019 v650 saddlebag supports: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017

2010-2014 v650 saddlebag supports: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2010-2014
(I'm not sure why Givi and Revzilla both have the wrong image up, but this rack really looks like this (LINK)

Last edited by leftbrain99; 05-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
2015-2019 v650 saddlebag supports: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017

2010-2014 v650 saddlebag supports: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2010-2014
Thanks, I had already saved that web page thinking this could be what I'm looking for. But it's nice to get some confirmation from someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode