paint coming off forks - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
paint coming off forks

Has anyone else had this problem.
Where the bottom part of the fork leg goes into the painted bit the paint has started to lift off. This is a 6 month old 3000 mile bike, it's been out in a bot of rain but not much, hardly any salt on the roads either and been hosed down if it got wet or dirty.
Kawasaki's response to a warranty claim is that there's a recess there that water will sit in and if they were to repair it it would happen again!!!
So how is that my fault, basically they are saying the design of the forks is the reason the paint has lifted, but they won't repair it. I'm absolutely disgusted and considering what I should do next. I will ring them direct (my local dealer has tried and got nowhere) and see what they say. I will also ask for a written confirmation of their reasons. If there's no movement from them I suppose the next thing will be to email every motorcycle publication I can think of (worldwide is easy with the internet) telling them about Kawasaki quality and warranty.
Anyone else had this problem as a precedent would be useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM

Post up some pictures please! I would like to see what you are talking about before commenting. It could be possible more are doing this and we just have not noticed.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Corrosion and paint problems are much more common in your area in UK, although I haven't seen any previous complaints about fork bottoms.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/to...html#msg174347

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Wow, that seems like not a lot of rust to get that upset about.
That said, mine is an '09 with 35k miles and lots of Oregon rain and the fork bottoms are fine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just checked my '08 (40,600 miles) and the paint's FINE. (And the part is aluminum, so no rust possible.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Baron650, it looks like that after only 6 months, what's it going to look like in another 6 months if they don't do something about it. IN my opinion there shouldn't be any paint flaking off so quickly. And it is aluminium so it's not rust. If you bought a new car and the paint started flaking off after 6 months it wouldn't be acceptable, it would be back at the dealer in a flash. A bike shouldn't be any different. I think manufacturers of bikes in general have got away with it for too long, why should you have to give your bike a thorough wash and dry every time you take it out, it makes it an impractical form of transport if it's going to start falling apart if it gets wet. And let's not forget the Versys is not a sunny Sunday afternoon toy, it's meant to be an anywhere any time kind of bike (as long as it's dry)
Not good enough Kawasaki !!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM

It's not called rust, but aluminum does oxidize. Exposed aluminum surface errodes as aluminum oxide powder builds up... Just touch it up with a dab af semi-gloss black paint to protect it. Keep an eye on your chassis as well and be ready with your paint as it will rust guaranteed, especially in damp and salty UK.

Last edited by invader; 01-27-2013 at 07:46 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Should have spent a bit more and bought the Tiger 800
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmanxman View Post

Should have looked after it a bit more

Fixed.............

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Davy, Davy, Davy!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have an issue with rust on my 08's frame. Basically all the frame brackets are showing signs of rust as is the fork area pictured. I left my bike outside last winter (under a bike cover) and also drove it on some salty roads in the early spring. This seems to have been the root cause. I also stored the bike outside, again under a cover, during the riding season.

IMO motorcycles are not built like cars. They give no thought to rust or corrosion resistance. If you store your bike inside and don't drive it on salty or wet roads it will never be an issue, but if you do, hose it down with fresh water after every outing, spray and frame and other rust prone parts with Rust Check or similar oil film.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 AM

Just to let this forum members see- UK Versys forum:

[quote author=jaffacake link=topic=5314.msg62456#msg62456 date=1236280176]
i got my fork lowers replace on warranty as the black paint was bubbling off were the tubes meet the black cast bits, and i had my tank replaced on warranty due to the paint having a whitish swirl effect, oh guess what checked my forks and it is happening again, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :192: (smiley getting ass wacked) bad kawa
[/quote]

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/to....html#msg62456
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode