3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Road Rage? New Dashcam catches it.

I just installed a dashcam on the V650 in time for a quick trip to Moab. On the way home this idiot seemed like he was intentionally trying to skim close to me on the highway. I saw him coming in the mirror and moved to the right of my lane.

The good news is it was otherwise a good trip.

Anyhow, my first moto video. Watch the white pickup who follows the guy towing the trailer.

Devilsfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Pretty good quality (infinite better than not having anything )
details?

installed on the bike directly, looks pretty stable, front and back..... interesting....

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

The quality of the video is much better than the youtube version for some reason. License plates are easily read.

It is the Innovv K2 system. After reading all the reviews of all the systems I decided this one best met my mission, so I caved in and paid up.

The video can have a bit of a waterfall effect if there is vibration. The front camera is mounted in the little round area in the bottom of the nose cowling between the headlamps. At first I tried it mounted on the windshield brackets to have the protection of the windshield but there was a lot of vibration there. Plus bugs on the windshield mess with the quality. The rear camera is mounted under the GIVI top box plate. It is pretty well protected from splashes from the rear tire there, and quite stable. No bug smears on the front lens so far. And it survived a hail storm, too. The main unit is rain resistant, not waterproof. I have it mounted under a fairing for easy access to swap out memory cards. I think it would fit easily under the seat, too, but I wanted it closer to the power source behind the instrument cluster.

So far I would rate it as very good, 9/10. I like being able to disable the speed display on the data block, though I generally am running well within the average speed of those around me. Still, no need to self-incriminate.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Nice system, but pricey.
strange that's just rain resistant and not water proof, especially on a bike :O

Thanks for sharing.

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:05 AM

Garage
Utahans are pretty friendly people from my experience, so maybe that counts as road rage in that perspective. But I get worse than that every day in my mile and a half commute to work. I'd call this just a jerk driver rather than a rager.

Anyway, I have the K2 as well, but I haven't been able to get it working yet. The distributor sent me a new control unit and new cameras and I've tried a new sd card, but no matter what, I keep getting an error that the lenses are not connected correctly. Sounds like there is some compatibility issue with certain Android phones connecting to do the initial configuration - mine is a Google Pixel. So I am going to try my gf's iphone and hope that works.

As for the video quality - it's much better before the upload to YouTube, which adds significant compression.

It's nice to see someone else her splurged on the K2 like me. I hope I can get mine working soon, though.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yep....in my area that would be classified as ignorant driving (the norm) rather than road rage. You have to be fully engaged all the time every where you go.
james75 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Yep....in my area that would be classified as ignorant driving (the norm) rather than road rage. You have to be fully engaged all the time every where you go.
That was my intial impression when it happened, but looking at both the rear and front views before/after changed my mind. The guy is riding the left lane for a long time before this. He then moves slightly towards the centerline as he gets past the vehicle behind me, then as he gets within a couple of car lengths he crosses the centerline into my lane to pass me. He rides up behind the trailer in front of me, taps his brakes in response to my horn, then pulls into the left lane to continue on his way in the left lane.

I saw no evidence or reason for him to be targeting the guy in the trailer in front of me, and he was otherwise moving along in the left lane. My conclusion is it was an intentional harassment rather than heads-down driving, which was my initial thought.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
Anyway, I have the K2 as well, but I haven't been able to get it working yet. The distributor sent me a new control unit and new cameras and I've tried a new sd card, but no matter what, I keep getting an error that the lenses are not connected correctly. Sounds like there is some compatibility issue with certain Android phones connecting to do the initial configuration - mine is a Google Pixel. So I am going to try my gf's iphone and hope that works.
Hmm, weird. The fact it doesn't see the cameras doesn't sound like a phone connectivity problem, but if they've sent you all new components then maybe it is?

With my older iPhone it works just great. One of the cameras had a bad sensor and the color was all red, but they sent me a new camera which was here within 2 days.

All this offloading of work to the phone is something I don't like. It relies on the hardware and software in your phone to be and remain compatible. In a few years there is a high probability our phones will be sufficiently changed to no longer work with the gizmo. I have some music products this has happened to, and it really annoys me you can't buy the self contained items any more, but it is cheaper to build them without all the computing power on board.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Why the hell do trucks towing trailers feel like they have to pass you?
This should not happen.
IMHO, it's your road timidity not their road rage.
Take hold of that round rubber thingy under your right hand and twist that sumbidge.

Bikes are fast.

Nice dash cam. What brand did you say? Not finding it right off on amazon.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Last edited by webmost; 04-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I have the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
The quality of the video is much better than the youtube version for some reason. License plates are easily read.

It is the Innovv K2 system. After reading all the reviews of all the systems I decided this one best met my mission, so I caved in and paid up.

The video can have a bit of a waterfall effect if there is vibration. The front camera is mounted in the little round area in the bottom of the nose cowling between the headlamps. At first I tried it mounted on the windshield brackets to have the protection of the windshield but there was a lot of vibration there. Plus bugs on the windshield mess with the quality. The rear camera is mounted under the GIVI top box plate. It is pretty well protected from splashes from the rear tire there, and quite stable. No bug smears on the front lens so far. And it survived a hail storm, too. The main unit is rain resistant, not waterproof. I have it mounted under a fairing for easy access to swap out memory cards. I think it would fit easily under the seat, too, but I wanted it closer to the power source behind the instrument cluster.

So far I would rate it as very good, 9/10. I like being able to disable the speed display on the data block, though I generally am running well within the average speed of those around me. Still, no need to self-incriminate.
Just realized I never made a thread in How to, so I have a question as to what method / software you use to download from the Innovv? FYI I bought everything direct, including the 250 gig SD card, which the Canadian site said wasn't compatible.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...vv-others.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
That wasn't road rage. That was just someone driving with their head up their rectum, like so many people do.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Person following GPS person

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
That wasn't road rage. That was just someone driving with their head up their rectum, like so many people do.
I have seen this happen several times, after many miles, it became obvious that the lead vehicle knew where they were going and the following vehicle was making sure they didn't get lost, so their eyes were in front instead of paying attention to what they were doing. How do I know this? When the lead vehicle ran a light and the following vehicle did the smart thing and stop, the lead vehicle was pulled over a 1/2 mile down the road, pulled back out once the following vehicle came into view. This is a very stupid procedure, I have on several occasions told somebody to pay attention to the road, if I get 2 or 3 car lengths ahead, or I lose sight of the trailing vehicle, I will pull over, if after 10 minutes passes expect a phone call from me. I also keep the route simplified, when possible I give key turns on paper in the order of approach, also the street or highway names.
I expect the same thing when going on rides with a individual or a group, if I ride with a guy that goes like hell and doesn't pay attention to the trailing bikes, usually that becomes the last ride for me with them. Following someone and not paying attention to your surroundings kind of defeats the purpose of riding.
james75 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
Why the hell do trucks towing trailers feel like they have to pass you?
This should not happen.
IMHO, it's your road timidity not their road rage.
Take hold of that round rubber thingy under your right hand and twist that sumbidge.

Bikes are fast.

Nice dash cam. What brand did you say? Not finding it right off on amazon.
We had strong winds and turbulence off of all the big trucks. I find it less fatiguing and safer to hang out in the right lane at the same speed as the truckers going my direction, at least on the level and downhill sections. Thus I get less turbulence from trucks going in the opposite direction too.

When the speed limit is 65-80 as it is in this part of the country, I have no need to increase my risk by matching the highest speeds out there. I've seen pickups going 90 with their front end pushed so high in the air I wonder if they have much steering traction on the front wheels. The trailer that passed me was doing 70-75.

The dashcam is the Innovv K2.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have seen this happen several times, after many miles, it became obvious that the lead vehicle knew where they were going and the following vehicle was making sure they didn't get lost, so their eyes were in front instead of paying attention to what they were doing. How do I know this? When the lead vehicle ran a light and the following vehicle did the smart thing and stop, the lead vehicle was pulled over a 1/2 mile down the road, pulled back out once the following vehicle came into view. This is a very stupid procedure, I have on several occasions told somebody to pay attention to the road, if I get 2 or 3 car lengths ahead, or I lose sight of the trailing vehicle, I will pull over, if after 10 minutes passes expect a phone call from me. I also keep the route simplified, when possible I give key turns on paper in the order of approach, also the street or highway names.
I expect the same thing when going on rides with a individual or a group, if I ride with a guy that goes like hell and doesn't pay attention to the trailing bikes, usually that becomes the last ride for me with them. Following someone and not paying attention to your surroundings kind of defeats the purpose of riding.
Agreed with your general comments. Idk if you are inferring that the 2 vehicles were with each other. In fact they were not. After crowding me and running up on the rear of the trailer, the white pickup pulled back into the left lane and passed the trailer. Either he was trying to harass the rear end of the trailer or he was trying to harass me. In the extended video he clearly just rides the left lane as far as he can be seen to the rear and then to the front.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yep, just another ass on the road.

Bet he didn’t even know or thought twice about being an ass when he woke that day.
Probably not his first go around.

Like my neighbor said last year, “I can be the biggest a-hole you’ve ever met”. << My response “only because you’ve had a lot of practice at it over the years Joe”.

2018 Versys 650
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Agreed with your general comments. Idk if you are inferring that the 2 vehicles were with each other. In fact they were not. After crowding me and running up on the rear of the trailer, the white pickup pulled back into the left lane and passed the trailer. Either he was trying to harass the rear end of the trailer or he was trying to harass me. In the extended video he clearly just rides the left lane as far as he can be seen to the rear and then to the front.
I have had a guy ride my tail when I had the DRZ400S, I slowed down he slowed down, eventually I turned off the road, this was a night in the dark, this guy was no more than 5 feet from my rear. Over the years I have had a few, generally I either accelerate slightly, if the guy follows, I slow right down about 10 or 15 KM/HR below what I was running at, almost said 10 to 15 below the posted speed , I do this the first chance there is a safe area to pass me, if the guy doesn't take the bait and he continues to harass and I am talking 3 minutes tops, I signal and turn off the road or pull over. Not worth getting into a fight.
However this brings back memories with the DRZ400S, riding with my son and his Honda 919 , just after the sun went down, 10 o'clock at night, temperature had dropped to about 15'C, he was in the lead on a very narrow paved road going through a swamp, we see headlights turn onto the road a good mile in the distance then disappear, he pulled over but I went passed and turned around. Turns out a guy drove into the swamp, big guy starts coming at my son, so he leaves, by this time I turn around and get back, now the guy comes to me, says we ran him off the road, that we were riding side by side. I offered to call for help, what I don't realize is the guy is getting my plate number , he is agitated and with the DRZ , with the motor off no headlight, plus I have no bars on my cell phone, he gets made with me and tells me to F off, that we ran him off the road. So about 1/2 mile down the road my son is waiting, bike off and wants to leave because we are both cold, he tells me what happened when he got on scene, I tell him my take. I call the police because I am suspicious, the dispatch tells me they had a guy on the other line describing how he was run off the road by us.
Let me say this guy was six foot and at least 300 LBs, if you ever get in a situation like this, do what we did , drive a mile away and call, telling dispatch we were dealing with a agitated person and were afraid for our own safety, well there was a 3 car response, the Sargent came by and told us he had officers at the guy in the swamp , was concerned about the safety of his officers and would return, for us to stay in place and wait. He came back and said the guy was getting off shift, had gone to MacDonald's and the drink probably fell over making the left hand turn, he reached across and steered into the swamp ( that is what the officer supposed happened) the officer said this guy was known to them.
He then said that he was amazed that father and son road together and was a bit jealous, said that we did the right thing and really appreciated us sticking around. That was about 11 years ago, I think I rode once last year with my son, kind of miss that, and he still has his 919, but is considering selling because he doesn't ride much, and his wife has a compressed disc problem, so not the best mode of transportation.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
the guy comes to me, says we ran him off the road, that we were riding side by side. I offered to call for help, what I don't realize is the guy is getting my plate number , he is agitated and with the DRZ , with the motor off no headlight, plus I have no bars on my cell phone, he gets made with me and tells me to F off, that we ran him off the road.

Let me say this guy was six foot and at least 300 LBs, if you ever get in a situation like this, do what we did , drive a mile away and call, telling dispatch we were dealing with a agitated person and were afraid for our own safety
Crazy! Those situations are the reason I got the dashcam. I've heard too many stories about false allegations of all kinds.

An old Harley biker once told me he carries a pocket full of glass marbles to deal with aggressive drivers. He just tosses a few back at the aggressive vehicle. They'll do a lot of damage but shatter, leaving no evidence. That isn't my style, but honestly I understand the emotion behind it when people do dangerous things to harass someone who isn't doing anything wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode