Alaska in May... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alaska in May...

Here is my response to asdf38's query about traveling to Alaska in May:

If possible wait until later in June. You can still get hit with snow in May and why not wait until the midnight sun? As well, the highway will be cleaner in June and the landscape won't be as barren. I admire your courage. I don't know if I would be up for it. It's a long way with a lot of nothing in between but trucks and motor homes.

If you would like a place to stop along the way just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Don't know where you're starting from, but I've been twice, and left the Calgary, Alberta area 1st of June - that way you're AHEAD of most vacationers, and BUGS! . Wouldn't want to be TOO much earlier than June, tho'.
First time got to Seward in the Keni (sp?) Peninsula about day #8. Rode my Bandit 1200S.
Second time only went to Skagway (day 6) as the main thrust was to get to Bella Coola, BC via "THE HILL". Rode my KLR.
Cheers,
Ed
PS Had GREAT rides, LOVED the scenery, and plan to do it AGAIN!!!

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-11-2008 at 10:07 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM

so my plan now is I might be working as a tour bus driver (I don't know where yet) but I will leave SLC, UT the first week in may, if the roads are clear I'll ride there and if not I'll take a ferry up... The ferry will be worth it but I'd rather save the money and ride... I'll see what happens as it gets closer...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

The first week in May is really sketchy. Even if the roads are clear you can still get hit with a late season snow storm. You will definitely need a Plan B.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM

We were all around Alaska for two weeks this past June starting on the 7th and the weather was GREAT....no bugs either.
Sadly we were not on a bike but wishing we could have been.

I talked to locals everywhere we went getting info about coming back on a bike and most said May can really be iffy.
Good luck,
Dan
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM

My wife and I were in Alaska this past August and saw lots of bikes going north up the Dalton highway towards the Brooks Range and beyond. We must have counted at least twenty in our three days up there. That road is not too bad, but not for a street bike either. The ones we saw were dual sport 650's and BMW 800's mostly.

It rained most of the summer in the interior this year, so bring good rain gear. And the temperatures are averaging in the 50's or so, but in July can get up to 90 in Fairbanks. Good luck and you will enjoy Alaska. We did.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I traveled around the U.S. mainland in late April/Early May many years ago. Started in Florida, then through the southern states to Nevada, then across the northern states and down the breadbasket, back to Florida. We were in a car pulling a pop-up camper, not a bike. The weather was extremely variable. Still a lot of snow on the ground, mostly slush. We got caught in a ice storm or two in the Idaho/Wyoming/Montana area. Best part of the trip was that most of the places you want to see were opening up for the spring after being shut all winter, but the tourists weren't out in force yet, so we felt like we were all alone.

Personally, going as far north as Alaska, I'm with the others and think I'd wait till a little later in the year. Dang, I wish I could go!!

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode