Any issues with the Versys 650 2015? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
As a data point, I bought my 2015 Versys LT ABS for $5400 from a dealer near Seattle last October. Has 11k miles. Also Oxford heated grips. Fairly new Shinko DS tires, newer brake pads. So I think you are right in the ballpark.

I've only put maybe 500 miles on it, but fairly happy so far.

-dm
Interesting on the brake pads. Mine are still original with over 54k miles on them but they are getting replaced along the front tire next week.

And it's not like I ride it like I have a bowl of gold fish on the seat. I am on my tenth rear tire.
jaaklucas likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 PM

I'm replacing my brake pads this week. The rear got weak after riding through some very fine silt last summer. Like talcum powder. They've never been the same. Might as well do the front while I'm at it bleeding the brakes and putting on new tires.

eta: It happened at about 7k miles

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 03-29-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Im at 50k on my 2015 and pads are still good. I dont overuse them though in the city, I drive cautiously. I clean my disks with a SOS soap pad when I wash the bike or alcohol and paper towel when I lube the chain. Get the baked on brake dust off regularly and your pads will stay clean. I have bicycles with disk brakes too and downhill mountain is real tough on brakes. Keeping the disks clean vastly improves the braking performance and longevity of the pads.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Interesting on the brake pads. Mine are still original with over 54k miles on them but they are getting replaced along the front tire next week.

And it's not like I ride it like I have a bowl of gold fish on the seat. I am on my tenth rear tire.

I've had the privilege of riding with you, or more like way behind you, so I TOTALLY get why you go through more rear tires than brake pads!!!
onewizard likes this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Im at 50k on my 2015 and pads are still good. I dont overuse them though in the city, I drive cautiously. I clean my disks with a SOS soap pad when I wash the bike or alcohol and paper towel when I lube the chain. Get the baked on brake dust off regularly and your pads will stay clean. I have bicycles with disk brakes too and downhill mountain is real tough on brakes. Keeping the disks clean vastly improves the braking performance and longevity of the pads.
The rear pads are ORIGINAL on my '08, which has 85,219 miles on it, w/ LOTS of pad left, so I "have my doubts" about WHY the dealership in Anchorage replaced them on my '15 back in '16, w/ LESS than 10K miles on it.... But NOW has 63,914 kms, so about 50K kms (30K miles) on those brake pads w/ LOTS of pad left!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 PM

For those who know about Steve's ("Shouldabeen") mod, what is the mod? Something that just plugs in? Not super clear.
Thx!
I bought my 2015 new and in the past, Steve's Concours mods and carb work were always something I went to early and often!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
For those who know about Steve's ("Shouldabeen") mod, what is the mod? Something that just plugs in? Not super clear.
Thx!
I bought my 2015 new and in the past, Steve's Concours mods and carb work were always something I went to early and often!
It's a reflash for the ecu. You send him the ecu, he flashes it that day and sends it right back to you. I have it. My bike was the guinea pig for the final tweaks on it. I go to spend the better part of two days at his skunkworks watching a master at work.

He is in the process of moving to a new house, so contact with him now could be maybe not so smooth.

You already know his work quality.

And hiya from an ex Connie owner.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
It's a reflash for the ecu. You send him the ecu, he flashes it that day and sends it right back to you. I have it. My bike was the guinea pig for the final tweaks on it. I go to spend the better part of two days at his skunkworks watching a master at work.

He is in the process of moving to a new house, so contact with him now could be maybe not so smooth.

You already know his work quality.

And hiya from an ex Connie owner.
Awesome. Thx. I also had a '99 Conk.
Now to find where the ECU is!
I'll probably revisit this idea at the end of this season so I don't have any down time. And Steve will be settled into his new home too!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I haven't heard that it's a "general problem" w/ the Gen 3s, but my forks started leaking EARLY (around 16,000kms). Kawasaki replaced seals in both forks under warranty.
Dust and dirt will do a number of seals.

I have just north of 28k miles on the original seals and no sign of leaking.

Just riding on pavement of course helps seal mileage.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Awesome. Thx. I also had a '99 Conk.
Now to find where the ECU is!
I'll probably revisit this idea at the end of this season so I don't have any down time. And Steve will be settled into his new home too!
Knowing Steve, he probably has a video on it. It's under the seat. There is a bit of a trick to it to get it out easily, which I am sure would be covered in the video.
Squishman likes this.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Dust and dirt will do a number of seals....
I added a set of "Forkskins" after the new seals were installed. They are NOW on BOTH of my V650s, and here's a pic of my '08.

quexpress, Squishman and hawkerjet like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Garage
I got my 2015 in November of 2018, with 18.5k on the odometer. I do oil changes at 3k-4k miles and lube the chain every other day during commute usage (I commute 156 miles daily). I have put about 10k miles on it since I have owned it, and I replaced the chain and sprockets with a D.I.D. 520 X-Ring chain and new sprockets, at 21k miles, and added a gear indicator, aux lights, power outlet, Leo Vince Exhaust, Corbin seat, and heated grips. I love the Versys, but have been commuting on my VTX1800F to try to share up the miles between the two motorcycles, but by far the Versys is the best commuter!

A Degree and a DD-214.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode