• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Are all US Gen3's California models?

Greetings all,

I recently had the tank off of my 2015 650 that has about 5k miles to change the air filter and add some wiring.
I was following the service manual and per this page it would appear my bike is a California model?

It has the black box on the side like the lower picture.
I bought it new (leftover) in the spring of 2016 in Washington state which I think has similar emission standards.

Anyway, I figured I'd ask if any of your US models look like the top picture?

One more thing that concerned me a little is when I put the top of the air box back on it didn't seem like it wanted to snug down into the seal all the way around until the tightened the bolts quite a bit. It seemed like it was slightly teetering on a high spot or something. Once all 8 of the bolts were snug it seemed fine. Has anyone noticed anything like that? The replacement air filter element I put in is a HiFlo HFA2610 that also was not a prefect fit. It sat down in it's spot fine but the bolt hole to secure it to the airbox was not aligned perfectly and I had to oval out the whole with a drill.

Thanks

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:03 PM

Garage
Washington does require that MY 2009 and later vehicles meet CA emissions requirements. I presume that applies to motorcycles. It's also been speculated that dealerships on the west coast all get CA bikes, which is plausible on various counts.
Alpha One Nine likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM

I was also surprised that my 2016 had the California emissions equipment, I paid for the little white thing and ditched that big black box. Reused hoses from the black box but left any electrical stuff plugged in, no codes afterwards.

I recently put in a Hi-Flo air filter and it snapped into the grooves perfectly. The airbox lid is a bit finnicky, sometimes the surrounding wire harnesses get in the way so make sure nothing is pinched. I would have a slight gap around the lid till all the screws were snugged down, but dont have to use the force of the screws to pull the lid down.
Fly-Sig and Alpha One Nine like this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
I would have a slight gap around the lid till all the screws were snugged down, but dont have to use the force of the screws to pull the lid down.
I should clarify that the bolts for the air box lid have more resistance before they snug down than a bolt going into threaded aluminum.
I could tell when it was snug enough though. I guess that's what 11 inch pounds (torque spec in manual) feels like huh?
I cut the cable tie for that wire harness that covers the front left bolt to get it out of the way. That one was a pain.
Thanks for sharing you experience.

Rick
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
...Anyway, I figured I'd ask if any of your US models look like the top picture?

One more thing that concerned me a little is when I put the top of the air box back on it didn't seem like it wanted to snug down into the seal all the way around until the tightened the bolts quite a bit. It seemed like it was slightly teetering on a high spot or something. Once all 8 of the bolts were snug it seemed fine. Has anyone noticed anything like that? The replacement air filter element I put in is a HiFlo HFA2610 that also was not a prefect fit. It sat down in it's spot fine but the bolt hole to secure it to the airbox was not aligned perfectly and I had to oval out the whole with a drill.

Thanks
My '15 V650LT (in BC) is like the first pic (NO 'box'), and I've never had any issues changing air-filters.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

2015 650 ABS Tight AirBox

I did a post on this in my https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html post #4 Tank / Air Box Removal , I was doing a valve shim so removed the whole air box, I had to pry it out, after doing the valve shim I used something like 6 of the 100 LB wire ties on the harness , marked with phasing tape in my photo. After it went in easy, while apart I took the screws out checked the filter then put it back together, before reassembly. I also recall the throttle cable was pushing on the air box, after like I said it went easily together ( more detail in my #4 post).
quexpress and Alpha One Nine like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM

What does that white gizmo thing try to accomplish?

I removed the Evap canister. The control box for the Rostra cruise control fits perfectly where it was, even used the same holes.

I bought my bike used in FLA and it had the canister. It now occupies a spot in the bike section of a storage cabinet, way down low and in the back.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM

My 15' isn't a Cali model (bought in SD)..........no problem changing air filter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Mine, bought in Utah, was a California model. I swapped out the charcoal filter for the little white gizmo when I was troubleshooting a problem. It turns out the mounting bracket where the filter box mounted is perfect for attaching a little hidden container. I have a spare key in there just in case I lock my keys in the trunk while away from home. The charcoal filter doesn't affect performance in any way, so there's no reason to pull it off. If I wasn't using that position to mount the hidden storage box I would put mine back the way it was.

The little white plastic thingy is basically just a little purge tank. If fuel overflows out of the fuel tank it runs through the white thingy and out to the ground via a hose. It also vents something but I don't recall what.

I left the electrical connector attached to the purge valve but even that isn't necessary. It doesn't throw fault codes either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode