• 4 Post By jackrobinson
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Dave31410

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Adjust handlebar angle/height?

Hi.

What I think must be done is to lower the handlebar.
Is it possible to loosen the handlebar clamp and lower the handlebar by a bit?
How is it done? Is this safe?

the rationale:

This isn't really a mod but an adjustment I reckon I should do.
I have had my V-650 2018 model since July-18. No mods. She's totally stock 'cept for the new tires.
When I go on trips of an hour+ I have noticed that I get wrist pain, mostly on my right brake hand.
There is tension on my wrist, even when I take my 2 fingers off the lever but less.
The levers position seem to be right.
What I have analyzed recently is that the handlebar is a bit too high and I tend to lower my forearm to get my shoulders and back in a comfortable position.
This causes my wrist to be slightly bent in which my hands are angled up from my forearm.
I do not wish to heighten the saddle since I am 175cm high (5'9") and I wouldn't want to have less foot contact with the ground.

In the case I readjust the handlebar, I'll need to readjust the levers' angle.
It'll also move my hands position and thus my whole body slightly back, but I reckon I have spare space on the seat.

Last edited by jackrobinson; 03-21-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Not sure if you can "lower" the handlebars but I'd suggest to adjust them forward and back and then you can align the levers accordingly.
Have you thought to add risers? I but some Bike Master risers on mine and changed a lot of the feeling I was having. The Bike Master risers have levels to adjust from 1/2" to 3/4" and 1".

Unless you change the bars out, I'm not sure there's much you can do.

There is a post on installing the Woodcraft clip-on's:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...port-bike.html
jackrobinson likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, you can adjust the handlebars. I would put some masking tape on the bars where they meet the clamp so you know where they are now. Loosen the clamp and move the bars slightly. Small changes can make a big difference in how they feel. Put a soft towel on your gas tank so it doesn't get scratched!

You may want to get risers and move the bars back closer to your body. I found it much more comfortable for me to be more upright and to have the bars physically a bit higher than they were.
jackrobinson likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Your levers may be fine, but just to make sure, most riders have their levers set too high, which causes wrist and/or blood-flow issues for some. I blame dealers for setting them way too high off the showroom floor. Rotate the levers down until your forearms, wrists, hands are in line when you're covering the levers with your fingers (which means they're probably curled slightly) when you're in your normal seating position. It's difficult to get it spot on when standing still, so take the appropriate tool with you on a ride so you can do some trial-and-error adjustments. If you also ride off-road, you may want to rotate the levers down even a touch further so they're in a good position for standing up.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinson View Post
Hi.

What I think must be done is to lower the handlebar.
Is it possible to loosen the handlebar clamp and lower the handlebar by a bit?
How is it done? Is this safe?...
As someone else notes: if you SLIGHTLY change the angle of the bars - 5 to 7 degrees will [PROBABLY] make a huge difference - and moving the levers so that your arms and fingers form a continuous "line" when activating them will REALLY help.

Another item - Kawi sends the bikes out w/ the clutch engage/disengage point a LONG way from the bars - the clutch disengages after a VERY SMALL pull from the resting position. One of the first changes I've made to ALL MY V650s was to set the adjuster to ABOUT 1/4" of threads showing which moves the engage/disengage point to just a small distance from the bars, so that IF you need to slip your clutch you can actually do it. This will also keep you from breaking your clutch cable as easily as it happens when set as 'Ma Kawi' does their set-up. Here's a pic of my clutch-lever set-up:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8240437copy.jpg (229.7 KB, 8 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Another item - Kawi sends the bikes out w/ the clutch engage/disengage point a LONG way from the bars - the clutch disengages after a VERY SMALL pull from the resting position. One of the first changes I've made to ALL MY V650s was to set the adjuster to ABOUT 1/4" of threads showing which moves the engage/disengage point to just a small distance from the bars, so that IF you need to slip your clutch you can actually do it. This will also keep you from breaking your clutch cable as easily as it happens when set as 'Ma Kawi' does their set-up. Here's a pic of my clutch-lever set-up:

Did the clutch lever adjustment, and it's quite the difference, I love it !

#1!

LOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to help you Phil!

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Glad to help you Phil!

I've done this to the clutch cables on quite a few Kawis for friends....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Talking I'm stoked!

Ok.
Yesterday, with the help of my mechanic and while sitting on the bike, I lowered the handlebar to the max (leaving clearance with the tank) and then adjusted the levers.
After the 15 minute ride home readjusted the brake lever again.

Today, after part of the solo trip including highway and hilly twisties I readjusted the brake lever yet again.
The clutch cable was already adjusted.

Verdict: I really enjoyed the ride back home. Suddenly going on trips isn't a freaking body wrecking nightmare.

Thanks a bunch folks for the suggestions. This changed everything for me.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

-
jackrobinson likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Another item - Kawi sends the bikes out w/ the clutch engage/disengage point a LONG way from the bars - the clutch disengages after a VERY SMALL pull from the resting position.
I learned long ago on Japanese cycles that if you preload the shifter with your toe (slight upward pressure) you can upshift with almost no clutch pull.
jackrobinson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode