5Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By Devilsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Daytona Bike Week 2019

Anyone going? I'm planning to head out first thing in the morning.

Probably the same old, same old. But, I got an email from Kawasaki saying they were doing demo's there. If I get there early enough I should be able to get my name in. we shall see...IF they're actually there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
I remember when I lived there and rode my air cooled Honda 550 four SS bike down main street. It started to overheat and put out white smoke. Talk about Rice Burner comments! LOL!

I remember when Boot Hill Saloon was a hole in the wall biker bar that no one but bikers would dare enter.
Devilsfan likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Got up at 5:30 this morning to make the 3 hour ride to Daytona...so I could be there in time to sign up for demo rides at the Kawasaki tent. Start up the bike...NO FREAKIN' HEADLIGHT!!!

I am REALLY starting to hate this bike. Can't wait for any other maintenance. After my front axle fiasco and now this...I know these are "little nuances" but a bike shouldn't be this difficult. NEVER had these issues with my Suzuki's and Honda's. Maybe it's a calling to NOT give Kawasaki another go.

Venting again??? Yes, but, sweet Lord, what's next on this thing??? It's a year old with 11,000 miles!!!

So...I wait until the auto store opens to get a new bulb. Even then, if I left for Daytona I'd be stuck in all the mess and there'd be ZERO chance of finding any openings for demo rides. I may try again tomorrow as I took a day off so I could enjoy TODAY and not have to worry about getting home in time for tomorrow.

Uggg...I'm so pissed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Got up at 5:30 this morning to make the 3 hour ride to Daytona...so I could be there in time to sign up for demo rides at the Kawasaki tent. Start up the bike...NO FREAKIN' HEADLIGHT!!!

I am REALLY starting to hate this bike. Can't wait for any other maintenance. After my front axle fiasco and now this...I know these are "little nuances" but a bike shouldn't be this difficult. NEVER had these issues with my Suzuki's and Honda's. Maybe it's a calling to NOT give Kawasaki another go.

Venting again??? Yes, but, sweet Lord, what's next on this thing??? It's a year old with 11,000 miles!!!

So...I wait until the auto store opens to get a new bulb. Even then, if I left for Daytona I'd be stuck in all the mess and there'd be ZERO chance of finding any openings for demo rides. I may try again tomorrow as I took a day off so I could enjoy TODAY and not have to worry about getting home in time for tomorrow.

Uggg...I'm so pissed.
I have had many Kawasaki motorcycles and they have all been great bikes. I usually part with them at about 30,000 miles though because I am ready for something else, but have gone 60,000 miles on the Vulcan Voyager.

If I were in your situation I would have just put it on High beam and hit the road.

I have never had to replace a headlight on a bike, but I do run LED running/fog lights on all my bikes to make me more conspicuous and just in case the headlight blows so I would never be in your situation since I would still have forward lighting.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Uggg...I'm so pissed.
You tried high beam? For a new bike you seem to have numerous electrical problems. Be aware the headlight relay is powered up by the stator AC output initially, the low and high beam are off the same relay and fuse circuit. I had over 500 hours on my 07 low beam before I switched to the Osram 65 watt lamp, it is a rare occurrence for OEM bulbs to fail in Kawasaki at that low of mileage, but who knows, maybe Kawi has gone the China route on the 2017.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You tried high beam? For a new bike you seem to have numerous electrical problems. Be aware the headlight relay is powered up by the stator AC output initially, the low and high beam are off the same relay and fuse circuit. I had over 500 hours on my 07 low beam before I switched to the Osram 65 watt lamp, it is a rare occurrence for OEM bulbs to fail in Kawasaki at that low of mileage, but who knows, maybe Kawi has gone the China route on the 2017.

High beam was fine.

I replaced the stock bulb. Everything's hunky dory now.
onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Got up at 5:30 this morning to make the 3 hour ride to Daytona...so I could be there in time to sign up for demo rides at the Kawasaki tent. Start up the bike...NO FREAKIN' HEADLIGHT!!!....
If it happens again - remove the high-beam bulb and replace your low-beam bulb w/ IT!
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If it happens again - remove the high-beam bulb and replace your low-beam bulb w/ IT!
Great idea in a pinch!

Unfortunately, my trip today was during the dark times (time change) and a lot of back roads with critters. Auto Zone opened at 8 and I went over there for a new bulb.
I used to keep a spare in my CTX tool kit but that went with the new owner. I'll be keeping a spare in the Versys kit from now on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Garage
With an LED low beam and a pair of LED fog lights, you'll be triple covered x2 or better.

I've had 3 kawasaki bikes, including this one. The one I bought for $200 took me 35k in one year. I didn't put anything on it except tires and drive chains, and only because I didn't know better than to use cheap chains.

Incandescent bulbs fail. Especially in bikes. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's kind of just the way it is and always has been.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Decided to make the treck to Daytona this morning. Rode through pitch dark and foggy the first hour of the ride. Once the sun came up, beautiful weather! 80’s and sunny!

Anyway, I made it to International Speedway where all the demo rides happen. I got there about 10:00 am. Luckily for me 1) It was Monday morning and, 2) Pretty much everything but the Niken was available to test ride! (SECRET – Bike Week on Monday mornings if you want to have the privilege to pick whatever ya want!!)

They had Indian (wasn’t interested), Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki. I have to tell you, unless you’re into fast crotch rockets Suzuki’s line sucks!!! Nothing new and it seems like nothing has changed for them. Kawasaki…NO Concours!!! WTF?!?! That’s the ONE BIKE I wanted to ride!

I signed up for the Ninja 400 and then over to the Yamaha tent for another go at that FJR, just to make sure my first demo wasn't mistaken. (It wasn’t! LOVE that bike!!!)

Here’s some pics of the speedway. Notice the few people than normal. Just the way I like it!

Here’s a Honda DN-01. Interesting pre-CTX/NM-4 model with DCT. No longer in production.

This caught my eye. A Harley V-rod…with batwing and hard bags. Did a double take because I never saw a V-rod decked out like that. I actually like it!

Thought I might get lucky with this one! She wasn’t having any of me.

350 Choppers, Inc. Why??? I guess because they can.

Now for my reviews:

Here are the two Ninja 400’s. I rode the red one but I don’t think there was a difference other than paint.
This thing is fun! Reminds me of the EX500. We got to twist the throttle a little and it has some get up and go. I mean, it IS a 400cc so it’s not hyper-drive! But for an entry-level or a great around the town bike it really shines. With that said, I felt the powerbands were good as you could feel it catching at about 4,000 rpm and then it felt like it was telling you to wind it out and hit that red line! Kawasaki has done really good on these little rides!
Would I buy one? Definitely, for a good dealer price. They’re just a fun bike to ride, plain and simple.

Then on to the FJR. My review…simply AWESOME!!! This was my second test ride and if there was ever a bike that “just fits” it’s this one! A tad heavier than I’ve grown to like but the seat is thinner and lower, I can flat foot it and it rides like you’re on a cloud! Has excellent pick-up and grunt. The handling is superb (for the route we took – no major twisties but a few sweepers) and you can lean and feel it “flicking”. Obviously all the bells and whistles – not that I need heated grips in Florida. But I love the retractable wind screen and the two throttle modes. It fits me perfectly, I’m a tad hunched but not too much where the weight’s on my wrists.
Would I buy one? Hell yeah!!! And I plan to. Gonna ride out the Versys for another year then, unless something better comes out, I can see an FJR for a long time bike.

Then I went to the Honda tent where they told me I had to ride 30 miles over to RC Hill Honda where their truck was doing all the demo rides. They lady said Monday was pretty quiet. I really didn’t want to spend the time there but, it’s kind of on the way home, so I went. Hardly anyone there! I rode the NC750X. I owned a NC700 with DCT but just didn’t like the feel of the bike and I couldn’t get used to that DCT. They had a manual NC750 so I hoped on it.
I will say, at this dealer, they had a long route. So we go to open the bikes up. The NC750 is definitely an improvement from the 700cc model. Still rides the same but has a lot more grunt to the engine. Also, the seat is wrapped in a more “sticky” material so I wasn’t sliding my crotch into the storage area (where most gas tanks are). Problem was, after about 10 minutes, my ass was numb on that seat.
Overall, would I buy one? Probably not. I felt like I was riding next to the Motorcycle.com guys who said, for an around-the-town bike, the NC750 is nice. But anything else…it’s still lacking – something. I think the rake is to short as I still feel like I’m sitting right on top of the front wheel. And man, do you have to shift quickly! Redline is at 6500 rpm’s and you get there QUICK!
So, not a bike I’d go for.

What I did ride is a CB500F. Luckily for the long route because the first 10 miles I wasn’t impressed. But once we hit the open area…for a little 500cc that thing has an amazing powerband! I want to say at around 3500 rpm you can feel it hit and then all the way to redline it feels like it’s still grabbing you and flinging you forward! It’s not as quick off the line but once ya hit that powerband it will go for you!

As for the seating position, I prefer the Ninja. The CB felt like a GSX-750 I rode a few years back – way forward and if I stopped quick I’d probably go over the front of the bars. But once I got a few more miles on it, it was just a fun bike to ride!
Would I buy one? I guess. It’s fun for a local bike, get’s outstanding gas mileage from a 3.7 gal tank and I know Honda’s reputation. But to be honest, if I had to pick between that Ninja 400 and the CB500F…I’d take the Ninja. Mainly because it’s just a lot more comfortable for me. Also, I’m somewhat familiar with the engine from the EX500 I had and worked on. Don’t get me wrong, that CB is also really easy to maintain as everything is accessible from behind the radiator. But that Ninja is just a better designed motorcycle, IMO.

So, fun day, great weather and not too much of a crowd. Had a good time.
quexpress and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing all the reviews and the bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode