Do crash bars make a bike harder to pick up?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post Do crash bars make a bike harder to pick up??

Hi! I'm thinking about getting the T-Rex Engine Guard / Crash Cage. I do have one odd question though... Do they make a dropped Versys 650 harder to pick up? I dropped mine in a Zero speed (and zero brains) mishap in my garage. I'm 6' 2" and 220 lbs., but I'm also 65 years old and messing up my back real badly is not an option. If it makes the bike harder to pickup than it already is I might not get them.

What do you guys think? I'm sure none of you have actually dropped a bike, but maybe some of you "have a friend" that may have first hand experience.
C-17 Pilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM

I actually JUST installed these bars on my 650, and although Ive not tested them if they work as expected, by keeping the engine and fairings off the ground, I would think the bars would be higher off of the ground, than it would be without the cage, once its down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RocketyMan likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Anything that gives you some angle is good...unless the crash bars cause a negative angle (I've never seen any).

Jay
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM

I will say they don't hurt, and probably actually help.

How did you lift the bike? This video is the propper way to do it.

Our V's have way more angle and make this a thousand times easier than this But this is the way to do it.
Ass on the seat, 1 hand on bars, one hand on grab rail. Its all thigh muscle and 0% back. You literally walk the bike up. Completely controlled and stable.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
I will say they don't hurt, and probably actually help.

How did you lift the bike? This video is the propper way to do it.

Our V's have way more angle and make this a thousand times easier than this But this is the way to do it.

Ass on the seat, 1 hand on bars, one hand on grab rail. Its all thigh muscle and 0% back. You literally walk the bike up. Completely controlled and stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRF64N-PmQ
That's for a Harley. Real bikes are easier to pick up.

I'm kidding, of course.

Picking up dropped bikes is part of any basic motorcycle safety course. This is primarily due to the fact that dropping bikes is a normal part of riding. I really don't get why manufacturers don't include drop protection from the factory.
Rob9876 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFordMan View Post
I actually JUST installed these bars on my 650, and although Ive not tested them if they work as expected, by keeping the engine and fairings off the ground, I would think the bars would be higher off of the ground, than it would be without the cage, once its down.

Any lumpy or rough spots in the finish? I can't tell from the photos. Those bars look pretty freaking nice.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Any lumpy or rough spots in the finish? I can't tell from the photos. Those bars look pretty freaking nice.

Nope. I was happy with the finish of them and the fact that theyre more of an eggshell finish, if they added metal flake theyd match the frame. So far Im happy with them.

52Degrees likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I'm kidding, of course.

Picking up dropped bikes is part of any basic motorcycle safety course. This is primarily due to the fact that dropping bikes is a normal part of riding. I really don't get why manufacturers don't include drop protection from the factory.
I helped a guy get his bike back up on its tires one cold dark morning. He'd missed a corner and managed to have the wheels uphill in the ditch. That was the biggest PITA I've had to deal with, just glad it wasn't my bike!

We'd have loved a nice flat surface with good traction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
52Degrees likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I'm kidding, of course.

Hey harleys are real bikes!! Just think of all the trailer sales they account for.

I actually had this discussion a few weeks ago on a car forum (lots of 2wheel guys there) All of them to a 1 said it was never in their class and had no idea when I posted the same video during the convo.
HoosierFordMan and 52Degrees like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey harleys are real bikes!! Just think of all the trailer sales they account for.
You also have to figure most the time a Harley is dropped it's in parking lot of a bar, so there are others to help pick it up. I'm kidding, my dad has ridden a Harley for over 30 years and I've owned one as do many of my friends.
Kyle E and 52Degrees like this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:

I actually had this discussion a few weeks ago on a car forum (lots of 2wheel guys there) All of them to a 1 said it was never in their class and had no idea when I posted the same video during the convo.
Seriously? They had all taken the course and none of them learned to pick up a bike? That's crazy!

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips and encouragement

Hi, All Thanks for the tips and encouragement!
I appreciate the input and the advice on lifting. (I used the same technique as the young lady in the video but on my too smooth garage floor the bike just wanted to slide away from me.)

The thought that the bike would be a few degrees more upright if laying on the crash bars makes sense to me. And they look SO GOOD. Ill be ordering them soon!!

Thanks, again!

By the way, once again, I'm jealous because I didn't find a green Versys!
HoosierFordMan likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 PM

Garage
Lucky for me dropped my bike 3 times and never had to pick it up on my own. Must have the charm, 5'6 on a tall bike ofcourse now its lowered 4.5 in all around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
Lucky for me dropped my bike 3 times and never had to pick it up on my own. Must have the charm, 5'6 on a tall bike ofcourse now its lowered 4.5 in all around.

What kits did you use to lower and did you do both front and back? Im thinking of lowering mine as Im just barely shy of flat footed on her. Im 59 and inseam is lacking a bit. I had my saddle shaved a bit at the front of it to allow some more leg drop which helped but the lowering kits intrigue me. The owner of the shop I bought mine from talked me out of it a year ago. Id appreciate your input. Thanks

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:14 PM

Garage
https://motowerk.com/products/standa...for-versys-650, suspension tuning, I do have 170/60/17 on the rear does raise the rear about half inch. Must have ajuster kickstand after lower or you be like me on the 3rd drop wind caught it. https://soupysperformance.com/kawasa...ide-stand.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:53 AM

Crashbars add some minor weight, but they raise the angle a bit, unless the rubber isn't on the ground of course.

Manufacturer don't add things (and weight) for which they can't raise price, especially a crashbar on a street bike for which over 90% of buyers don't care.

This viral lifting technique (with butt against seat) is not doing it for me..

a) my back may be straight, but I end up crouched with no force in very bent legs, not to mention little grip from the heels (just try in mud or grass). And my dorsals (vertebrae between lung) suffer greatly.

b) I'd rather push with shoulders (or lift handlebar) like this guys:

Last edited by dddd; 03-08-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restart2017 View Post
...What do you guys think? I'm sure none of you have actually dropped a bike, but maybe some of you "have a friend" that may have first hand experience....
Me? Nope, NEVER happened.

Fellow driving a pickup helped me get it back on its tires.

When I rode a KLR650, I dropped it in the woods in the Rockies, handlebars LOW. I tried to "spin it around" to get the tires to the LOW point, but I couldn't.

Headed into the woods till I found a 4' long heavy branch, then used THAT as a lever to get the bike up enough that I could get my legs UNDER it (resting just above my knees!), and then I was able to get it UP.

Called myself a dumbsh*t a BUNCH of times over that incident!

Kyle E and 52Degrees like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
he cheated Now try those lift without luggage rack bike is negative tilt or flat and heavy stress just come out of a crash.
52Degrees likes this.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 PM

Just thought Id add this as Im working on installing the STS Smart Turn module. NO problem with the T-Rex bars on getting the fairings off. I was very happy to learn this! Thought yall might find it interesting as well.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Angle of lean-(lying flat on the ground) is not effected much by crash bar but by the side casing. Naked bike will have have more lower angle when lying flat on the ground and its a bit harder to pick up.

Your side casing will keep your bike a bit higher and will assist in picking up the bike. drop once but it took two to pick it up due the the angle on the ground which was a slope.

Best, try not to drop it if you are on a sole ride..
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode