What do you get from a new exhaust? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What do you get from a new exhaust?

Other than a different sound (louder, deeper) and a few horsepower increase, what is the benefit if any of a new exhaust?

Changing the exhaust is one of the more expensive farkles and performance benefits seem pretty minor unless you also change intake and get the ECU retuned. So am I missing something or are the majority of folks spending the money on a new exhaust just for a new sound and a few extra ponies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Garage
I think you pretty much summed it up. A reduction of weight is another benefit I can think of.
Overall, it just sets your bike apart from the next. Which is important to many riders.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Some exhaust changes actually reduce HP....careful of which system you choose.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:36 AM

I figure dropping 15 pounds (off me, not the bike) would be the equivalent as adding a 2-3 more HP, and wouldn't cost as much as a full exhaust. But buying an exhaust would be so much easier in this world of craft beer. :^)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
You get the well-deserved obloquy of your fellow citizens.
Ziggy and Wolfcamp like this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmost View Post
You get the well-deserved obloquy of your fellow citizens.
And YOU get the award for using the most eloquent, unusual word in your post!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You get less weight, better looks and a much lighter wallet.......
Jack of Heats JoH and Brockie like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM

You get $1000 less in your pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Other than a different sound (louder, deeper) and a few horsepower increase, what is the benefit if any of a new exhaust?

Changing the exhaust is one of the more expensive farkles and performance benefits seem pretty minor unless you also change intake and get the ECU retuned. So am I missing something or are the majority of folks spending the money on a new exhaust just for a new sound and a few extra ponies?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

The days of loud and proud has to be on the way out soon. At least I personally am hoping. Electric motorcycles now are winning the races so what does exhaust noise really mean going into the future? And as far as handling on the tall Versys, losing weight up higher on the bike is more important than at the bottom of the bike. Carrying your weight lower is better for the center of gravity..
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

You guys are great! Confirmed my suspicions, Your ride is your ride and if you want a different sound that is fine with me. I am half deaf and wear noise cancelling ear buds when I ride to try and save what I have left so exhaust sound is kind of irrelevant to me for the most part. However I do like that old school loud grunt from the bike next to me at the stop light. Kind of reminds me of the Dunstall Megaphones I had on my nike back in the early 70s. (Probably why I canít hear worth a crap today)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

YOU GET THE SAME SMOKE MINUS THE WEIGHT....SORRY YOUR TITLE MADE ME DO THIS AND I AM FROM OLD SCHOOL
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:08 AM

Quote:

I am really not sure but after two years I really feel like I need some bass coming out of my bike to fall in love for it again since I haven't ridden it much at all other than the 10 min a week ride to not let it sit!
I just found a still expensive but not 1000 dollars option on Amazon for US$349,00.
Musarri Brand..never heard of it btw...

http://www.amazon.com/Musarri-Street...08703800&psc=1

Anybody knows if this is any good? Found a few videos on youtube and the sound is ok! I was hopping to find something more throaty as a Arrow...but those go for 750 at least so...what are your thoughts?
Thanks!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Go YOSHIMURA....Sounds nice on the V
Randyjaco likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Garage
You've all forgotten the best part of loud exhausts...

Pissing off your neighbors!

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
> What do you get from a new exhaust?

A general recognition of how poorly you value money?

I'm not saying there is a charity nearby that could really use 500$, I'm saying think of all you can do with that money, like a month of food...
Fastoman likes this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You guys are great! Confirmed my suspicions, Your ride is your ride and if you want a different sound that is fine with me. I am half deaf and wear noise cancelling ear buds when I ride to try and save what I have left so exhaust sound is kind of irrelevant to me for the most part. However I do like that old school loud grunt from the bike next to me at the stop light. Kind of reminds me of the Dunstall Megaphones I had on my nike back in the early 70s. (Probably why I canít hear worth a crap today)
Sad to say I'm old enough to remember Dunstalls. I wear ear plugs 100% of the time, too. My bad ears come from 9 years working on a flightline.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Additional HP??? Maybe 30 years ago when carburetors ruled and epa emissions were yet to be invented.

Today's exhaust systems are carefully designed to work in conjunction with the engine to produce great results. As others have mentioned, bolting on an expensive aftermarket system often will result in a loss of not only peak HP but more importantly torque, especially torque right where you want it, down low in the revs. This is not just my opinion, ask a few competent engine builders/tuners who have a dyno and they can show you the dyno runs to back this up.

I get the desire for better sound, less weight, and something new and shiny to rub on in the garage but the exhaust system is only half of the equation. The other half is adjusting air/fuel ratios to match the new noise maker. If you are fortunate there may be a flash available for your bike and new exhaust. Most of the time however this is not the case.

Where do you go from here? Maybe you can find a tuner who would be willing to spend countless hours developing a new flash for your machine and ask you to shell out another large chunk of Benjamin's. Or as many do you can buy a power commander and end up dorking up the air/fuel ratios even further.

My advice? Save your money for tires and gas. Just ride your bike and enjoy it.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualbert View Post
I am really not sure but after two years I really feel like I need some bass coming out of my bike to fall in love for it again since I haven't ridden it much at all other than the 10 min a week ride to not let it sit!
I just found a still expensive but not 1000 dollars option on Amazon for US$349,00.
Musarri Brand..never heard of it btw...

http://www.amazon.com/Musarri-Street...08703800&psc=1

Anybody knows if this is any good? Found a few videos on youtube and the sound is ok! I was hopping to find something more throaty as a Arrow...but those go for 750 at least so...what are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Good Price and top notch quality.....https://delkevic.com/complete-system...ls/versys-650/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
Plus one on the Yoshimura. The previous owner put one on my Gen1. I don't know what it really does for the bike, but it sure sounds good.
Randy
Fastoman likes this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Good Price and top notch quality.....https://delkevic.com/complete-system...ls/versys-650/
They don't have any V1K slip ons?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode