5Likes
  • 1 Post By SouthernCruizer
  • 2 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By Squishman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Boring Colors

Does anyone agree that the 2019 colors are bland? Only one color choice in the U.S. What's with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzharris View Post
Does anyone agree that the 2019 colors are bland? Only one color choice in the U.S. What's with that?
I'm used to only 1 color choice, having come from a 12 year period of riding 3 generations of Yamaha FJRs, only produced in a single color per year. LOL
Craigar likes this.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 AM

In 1909 Henry Ford said “A customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black”
hawkerjet and Devilsfan like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Welcome to the world of Kawasaki. Back when I bought my '11 I had to buy some of my paint matched accessories from the UK because Kawasaki USA decided that all the accessories would be black.

When talking with the dealer in the UK they told me that some people have bought complete color sets from them for the US Versys. Fortunately then the tanks were all black so it was just the plastics.

If you want new but prefer the colors of previous years you can search for leftovers, or buy the plastics from that year.

Also, there is a thing called paint that can be applied to the bike to make it any color you desire.
Fastoman likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Also, there is a thing called paint that can be applied to the bike to make it any color you desire.
Painting is the the easiest mod you can do. Flat and matte to semi-gloss can be done with a rattle can with good results. Glossy finishes probably require a proper spray gun or take the parts to an auto body shop...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all your input is appreciated.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:13 AM

IMO, the 2015 white 650LT is pretty cool. Still gets a ton of second looks. Well not now! Gotta wait for the most snow that I can remember ever to melt.
jaaklucas likes this.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Garage
You can paint a bikes removable plastic parts easily and cheaply yourself in any colour you can think of. Results are the same as a pro job done by an auto body shop with spray cans. If you have never done this before expect to redo a few parts though but at the same time pro results are achievable with patience. You can do as many redo as you have patience for. I've done this a few times. See videos.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ting+with+cans

Last edited by twowheels; 03-03-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
One can flexible rubber bumper primer (DON'T USE REGULAR AUTO PRIMER ON PLASTIC FAIRINGS OR THE FINISH WILL CRACK AFTER 6 MONTHS), 2 colour spray cans and 4 clear coat cans will do the entire bike.

You will also need a painting greaser, lint free rags, small flexible rubber sanding block and wet paper in 400, 800, 1200 and 2000 plus some fine after paint rubbing compound. Headlight restorer works as a course rubbing compound but something finer is also needed.

You can get the paint supplies at any auto paint store and they can mix you up a custom colour from any car colour you like, just give them the make model and year and they can look it up. Ex. Porsche Mexican Blue or Tesla Green, Kawasaki Spark Black (Versys 2010)

Professional primer and clear coat in a can is usually better than the cheap stuff at the hardware store.

Use a small tube of auto body glaze to fill in deep scratchs first and sand to 800 before primer. Auto paint will not stick without primer and an oil fingerprint free surface. Allow lots of cure time before sanding or differing coats. In total maybe half day of work plus two weeks for project with cure times.

After clear coat has cured, hit with a very light sanding with 2000 or finer grit to remove orange peel then fine rubbing compound then wax.

There are many how to videos on youtube.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-03-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Yep. Blech.

I bought my 2016 in 2017, wanted the 2017 with gear position indicator (not available on previous models) but the colors were so dull I went with the orange 2016.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:02 PM

The 2015 Candy Lime Green and 2016 Candy Orange Metallic are definitely my favorite factory colors for the Mk3 Versys. For those first two years Kawasaki did a good job of having a mild and a fun color choice. Then for 2017 they stopped offering good color choices.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT [Candy Lime Green]
2003 Yamaha XT225
2006 Yamaha TW200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode