Thinking Newer Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thinking Newer Versys

Right now I've got three motorcycles in the garage. A 2009 Versys a 2016 BMW R1200RS and a 2006 Ducati ST3S. I'm about to simplify because of the time and dollars this collection requires. Of the 3 I enjoy riding the Versys the best overall and I'd make the Versys my keeper if it had ABS. So, I'm considering selling all three and getting a newer 2015 - 2019 Versys. Any recommendations you have would be very much appreciated: Versys or Versys LT? Which year was best?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Fitzharris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

2015 650 abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzharris View Post
Right now I've got three motorcycles in the garage. A 2009 Versys a 2016 BMW R1200RS and a 2006 Ducati ST3S. I'm about to simplify because of the time and dollars this collection requires. Of the 3 I enjoy riding the Versys the best overall and I'd make the Versys my keeper if it had ABS. So, I'm considering selling all three and getting a newer 2015 - 2019 Versys. Any recommendations you have would be very much appreciated: Versys or Versys LT? Which year was best?
Fitzharris
I would go with a 2015 / 2016 , if you could get a really good price. You then need to send the ECU out and get it flashed by Steve. One disappointment is the headlight. I purchased the Givi top case and Givi Trekker cases. The LT is a very irregular shape and many things just don't fit.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I would go with a 2015 / 2016 , if you could get a really good price. You then need to send the ECU out and get it flashed by Steve. One disappointment is the headlight. I purchased the Givi top case and Givi Trekker cases. The LT is a very irregular shape and many things just don't fit.

I TOO have an LT ('15 V650LT), and the shape of the bags AIN'T the best. IF I was to do it again, I'd PROBABLY buy the V650ABS, then put a set of TUSK bags onto it, like I have on my '08 (and HAD on my '09).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 PM

I recently bought a used 2015 650 LT - already had fog lights, heated grips, bar risers, bark busters, ABS, and factory cases when I bought it. I've added SwMotech off road foot pegs and a mount for my Givi top case that I already had.

Living in the PNW, the ABS is non-negotiable to me. I've done just a bit of dirt road riding with is so far, and the ABS is fine on dirt roads. Might be an issue on single track as you can't switch it off (other than pulling the fuse). But I have no plans to ride single track on it.

The factory cases are a bit odd shaped and small, which affects their usability. Specifically, my XL helmet will not fit in one. On the plus side is that they look good and come on and off very easily.

-dm

-dm
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzharris View Post
Fitzharris
3 bikes... that's all??? Lol.

I have been it that boat a couple of times. Lots of sport bikes and Adventure bikes too but just like you I like my little 2015 V-650 the best.

Picked up a used 2015 last July for $4200. It was a little rough. The previous owner who bought it new had dropped it in the drive way a couple of times. Had to replace some plastic and straiten the shift lever and rear brake lever.

Have already put 15k miles on it. Yes indeed the most fun street bike I have ever owned.
Fastoman likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Onewizard: Thanks for the reply. Why 2015, or 2016. Is 2015 the year the newer styling was introduced?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow! this is really great feedback in one day. Thank you all for putting in your logical and educational posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 AM

The 2015 V650 was the first generation 3 bikes which came with additional power, more adjustable suspension, adjustable windshield, and much better vibration damping, better brakes with ABS, new headlight arrangement among other cosmetic changes.

The 2015- 2016 currently have the advantage over the latter 2017- models in that an amazing ECU flash is available that tames the power delivery so that the bike will accelerate strong and cleanly withou stumbling as low as sub 2000 rpms . The maker of the ECU flash is working on the later models, but not yet available..

And of course you should be able to get a great deal on a 2015- 2016 model.
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 AM

I disagree with having to do any change to the 2015+.
Lighting is good, especially with a silverstar ultra2 h7 bulb.
I don't suffer from anything throttle related so I cannot advocate ecu flashing.
(I have read the articles and I'm not impressed by any curves).
I'm happy with the throttle and the low rpm response as it is.

As for LT or not, I'd say no LT. You won't care for these awful rounded plastic (side-opening - to make it worse) boxes.
And the handguars are crap. They rotate up on a crash, taking out your clutch cable or master cylinder! And it's junk metal too, soft and stripping hex bolts you cannot tighten hard enough. You are better off buying your own handguards (if you care).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Ditto 2015/2016 if you'll be buying used. I ride the 2015 with the Shoodaben ECU flash. What a joy to ride with the flash. Ditto also on the top box being great but the factory side luggage not so great. If I had it to do over again I would go with aftermarket rectangular side boxes. Also ditto on the ABS working fine on pavement, dirt roads, and relaxed single track.
onewizard and hawkerjet like this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Started searching today for a 2015 -2018. Wow...a lot of new 2018s on the market and quite a few new 2017s. I have to wait till May or to purchase...seems like there'll still be new 2018 models available for a while.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:16 AM

Garage
There's a very gently used 2015 Versys on Craigslist Phoenix for sale. With less than 1k miles. The owner is asking $4,500.00 OBO. Obviously, some wiggle room to negotiate. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...821786083.html

I have no affiliation with the sale.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
There's a very gently used 2015 Versys on Craigslist Phoenix for sale. With less than 1k miles. The owner is asking $4,500.00 OBO. Obviously, some wiggle room to negotiate. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...821786083.html

I have no affiliation with the sale.
That's a great deal. My 2015 was a bit rough and had 11k on the clock. I paid $4200 and thought it was a pretty good deal.

I'll bet you could pick up this one for around $4200 and it is a essentially brand new bike.

Somebody needs to grab some cash and head to Zona.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

2007 / 2015 ECU Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I disagree with having to do any change to the 2015+.
Lighting is good, especially with a silverstar ultra2 h7 bulb.
I don't suffer from anything throttle related so I cannot advocate ecu flashing.
(I have read the articles and I'm not impressed by any curves).
I'm happy with the throttle and the low rpm response as it is.

As for LT or not, I'd say no LT. You won't care for these awful rounded plastic (side-opening - to make it worse) boxes.
And the handguars are crap. They rotate up on a crash, taking out your clutch cable or master cylinder! And it's junk metal too, soft and stripping hex bolts you cannot tighten hard enough. You are better off buying your own handguards (if you care).
I guess if you never rode a MK-1 or MK-2 you wouldn't notice any difference. That was the first thing I noticed when selling my 2007, yes I was disappointed but lived with it. I can tell you with all honesty, installing a booster plug might do it for you, but if you read the thread on this you will realize it is nothing close to having the ECU flashed with a good fuel map.
If I put my bike beside a identical 2015, you took both out for a ride, once you returned you would say there was something definitely wrong with the other bike, and I am talking a huge difference.
I will go one step further, if I had my original 07 , which had the TPS tweaked and the vacuum hose mod, have you ride it then my 2015 with the new flash, you would find the 2015 performs equal to but better than the 07. Not trying to convince anyone, but riding and experiencing is a lot more accurate than looking at a chart or curve.

Yes I posted this on the UK Versys site, several members said they don't ride in the below 4000 RPM range. I would say 30% of some of my rides are in the 3000 to 3500 RPM range now, nothing like being able to accelerate in 6th gear at 60 KM/HR, try that with a stock ECU
jaaklucas and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Not trying to convince anyone, but riding and experiencing is a lot more accurate than looking at a chart or curve.
Agreed. I ride 99.99% moderately relaxed. I almost never get into the upper half of the throttle. The charts/curves showing torque or hp are completely meaningless for how I ride. What the curves can't show is how much smoother and easier the bike rides in the lower rpm and throttle regimes after the ECU flash.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
The 2015 V650 was the first generation 3 bikes which came with additional power, more adjustable suspension, adjustable windshield, and much better vibration damping, better brakes with ABS, new headlight arrangement among other cosmetic changes.

The 2015- 2016 currently have the advantage over the latter 2017- models in that an amazing ECU flash is available that tames the power delivery so that the bike will accelerate strong and cleanly withou stumbling as low as sub 2000 rpms . The maker of the ECU flash is working on the later models, but not yet available..

And of course you should be able to get a great deal on a 2015- 2016 model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
That's a great deal. My 2015 was a bit rough and had 11k on the clock. I paid $4200 and thought it was a pretty good deal.

I'll bet you could pick up this one for around $4200 and it is a essentially brand new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Agreed. I ride 99.99% moderately relaxed. I almost never get into the upper half of the throttle. The charts/curves showing torque or hp are completely meaningless for how I ride. What the curves can't show is how much smoother and easier the bike rides in the lower rpm and throttle regimes after the ECU flash.
Not that it matters, but adding myself into the mix, this post equals four people with the new flash, https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t=ecu+flashing
Can't wait for spring, like I just swapped out for the JDRock cop motor
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM

I'm still looking for a Versys too. I can't find any used ones locally except for 2012 and older. I can get a good deal on a new 2018, so that's where I'm currently leaning. I am curious about the ECU flash. I know SISF had amazing results on the C14 flash from all the great testimonials on the COG site. And it looks like most people love his results on the Versys 650 too. Does anyone know what the status of the flash for 2017-2019 is? Is it just not necessary because Kawasaki has improved the stock mapping/fuelling or is the problem still there but the ECU has changed making it harder to fix?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

I'd be happy to help someone do a fly and ride.
hawkerjet likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM

My '17 is up for sale, only 1200 miles, and it's listed here in the For Sale forum. I'm willing to let it go cheap - I'm in the southeastern corner of Arizona, about 75 miles Southeast of Tucson, so selling locally is not an easy task, hence the willingness to go low.

'17 Versys 650
'16 VW Golf R
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL8888 View Post
I'm still looking for a Versys too. I can't find any used ones locally except for 2012 and older. I can get a good deal on a new 2018, so that's where I'm currently leaning. I am curious about the ECU flash. I know SISF had amazing results on the C14 flash from all the great testimonials on the COG site. And it looks like most people love his results on the Versys 650 too. Does anyone know what the status of the flash for 2017-2019 is? Is it just not necessary because Kawasaki has improved the stock mapping/fuelling or is the problem still there but the ECU has changed making it harder to fix?
Steve at Shoodaben said Kawasaki has improved the stock mapping and fueling, but not nearly as good as the Shoodaben ECU flash.

A couple other advantages to the flash are:

1. Deceleration fuel cut is defeated, off/on throttle is smooth as butter now, the abrupt on/off when opening and closing the throttle is gone!

2. Engine cooling fan temperature lowered 10 degrees

Contact [email protected] for updates for newer bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode