Rougher start with a new bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rougher start with a new bike?

Hello all. I have around 260 miles on my 2012 Versys so far. It's the first new motorcycle I've owned, so the first time I've had to break one in and all. My question is: Does a new motorcycle start more roughly at first?

I would think I'm mostly past the break-in point where that might be an issue. I have to keep my finger on the starter button for a good bit longer than I had to with my 2008 Versys (R.I.P.), which I bought when it was already at 4K miles, and which used to instantly start the second my finger came near the starter button. With the 2012 I'm finding myself pushing the button two or three times sometimes and holding it down longer than I'm used to, unless I had just shut it off very recently. Granted, it has been pretty cold around here lately. One of the mornings I rode in to work was below 20* F, but I rode the 2008 in the same conditions without ever experiencing this issue. I just did the first oil change and switched to synthetic so I was hoping this issue would disappear, but it hasn't yet. Any insight into this issue? I shouldn't have read all the threads and articles about breaking the bike in - now I'm paranoid I did something wrong! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Oops, meant to put this in "technical discussions"...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Thought the break in period was 600 miles???

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, 1000 miles technically. 500 miles without going over 4k rpms, and 1000 miles without going over 6k rpms, but it seems like the consensus is that this is overly cautious.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Garage
Well i just switched out the plugs and upgraded my 09 stick coils with 2010's. Because i've been having problem starting mine. Did help but as Invader pointed out my bike should idle at 1300rpm's when warmed up. Mine was at 1000rpm uped it to 1300 this morning and problem solved.......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Is it parked in a garage or is it at outdoor temps of 20 degrees?

My gut says if it is cold, everything will take more time. Not sure why longer than your old bike?? My 2010 fires up instantly every time but I do keep it in the garage and it never gets below 40 degrees.

Maybe your older bike had a better battery (not OEM)? A really well charged battery with better cranking current should speed up the process.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

It is always kept in the garage. I don't think the old bike had a different battery but I suppose it may have been replaced within the first 4k miles before I owned it.
I will look into the idle adjustment - when mine is warmed up it idles right at 1k rpms so if it should be a touch higher than that, maybe it is in need of adjustment.
Thanks for the replies.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushin View Post
It is always kept in the garage. I don't think the old bike had a different battery but I suppose it may have been replaced within the first 4k miles before I owned it.
I will look into the idle adjustment - when mine is warmed up it idles right at 1k rpms so if it should be a touch higher than that, maybe it is in need of adjustment.
Thanks for the replies.

Yep mine came from the dealership with the idle at 1000rpm warmed up so i just left it until now.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, normal warmed up idle speed must be set to 1300 +/- 50 rpm.

Also out of curiosity, what grade of gasoline are you using? Is ethanol free available?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

I use premium, so 92 octane typically. It's hard to find ethanol free but it's no more than 10% ethanol.

I'll tweak that idle adjustment and see where that gets me. It was ~15*F this morning and it wasn't too rough of a start, longer than what I was used to with the '08 but not so long as to be worrying.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
For riding in such cold temps, you'd also benefit from the Thermo-Bob radiator bypass to allow full and quick warmups, and to achieve optimal and stable engine and oil operating temperature.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
For riding in such cold temps, you'd also benefit from the Thermo-Bob radiator bypass to allow full and quick warmups, and to achieve optimal and stable engine and oil operating temperature.
X2!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Try using non premium unleaded gas, it has more energy and too high of an octane can make starts a little harder. Worth a shot.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM

My 07 always takes 3 winds before she fires into life from cold. I only ever use high octane fuel.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM

My 2011 usually starts better when it's cold, then when I've been riding, stop and start 10 minutes later, I do need to hold the start button. I have about 5000km on it, and it's always been like that.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM

My 2011 lives outside full time for the most part with the average lows in the high 20's low 30s f. Mine too came from the dealer set to idle at 1000rpm, which I corrected quickly at the advice of some helpful forum members. She starts up like a dream every day (Just had her 1st birtday). For what it's worth I'm running, and have always run regular gas.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

All good to know. I did adjust my idle and I'm reading up on the thermo-bob mod. I'll try out non-premium gas for a bit too. Thanks!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Hey Mushin..... I noticed the same thing when I brought my 2012 home. It just went away after a couple of months.......
One question..............for those who use high octane fuel. Why?
The owners manual says use regular unleaded.
Cheers!
BiGo
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM

2011 here and it fires right up, maybe one turn then ignition, even in this cold

I use only regular gas
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
...One question..............for those who use high octane fuel. Why?
The owners manual says use regular unleaded.
Cheers!
BiGo
Yes - WHY???

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode