• 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By chucksklrst
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Tire Changers

Lately I've been on this kick to change my own tires. I've been researching and asking other riders what they do. Even my best friend, who worked in the car tire business for 17 years, said to just take it to the shop.

But, because I'm an idiot and stubborn...I finally pulled the trigger on the No-Mar Classic Tire Changer!
(Steve in Sunny FL is going to beat me down! )

They're expensive and I found a guy on CL that was selling the cheaper model, but he lives over an hour away and he said he wasn't available until next week. So, for almost the same price he was asking I got the nicer model and a "Yellow Thing".

Bottom line - I always wanted to do more maintenance but just never did. I've learned a lot over the last year and enjoy taking care of my bike(s) by myself. All these years, I admit, I was pretty timid...until you just get your hands dirty and go for it!
With that said, I hope this purchase is worth it! ($650) If not, it's going on CL and I'll take a little hit in the wallet.

turn8a and quexpress like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM

I just use a bar clamp to break the bead and tire irons from harbor freight, with some plastic rim protectors from ebay. I already had the bar clamp from some other projects so I am only maybe-at a $15 investment for the irons and protectors.It does take some work to get the tires off and on but doable. Looks like it will be easy peasy for you with that nice set up you have, I am envious!
Devilsfan likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

They "make" it look easy!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:31 AM

Garage
I bought the $50 harbor freight bead breaker and applied a 20% off coupon. The levers were from Amazon.

Since my front wheel wasn't perfect to begin with, and I scratched up my rear wheel trying to break that bead, I'm fairly unconcerned with the finish on my wheels. New ones are going for about $160 each on eBay and paint is pretty cheap if I get around to it.

In order to save time and frustration pulling the front tire off, I cut it in half down the middle of the tread. The rear wasn't bad.

Those No-Mar things are pretty sweet, if you can afford them. Congrats on your purchase.
Devilsfan likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 AM

Garage
i scored a used NoMar on craigslist for $300guy was moving to FLA and didn't want to take it with him. He threw in the wheel balancer, yellow thing. Sold my HF set up with mojo blocks and bar that i used for a few years and a whole bunch of tires
turn8a and Devilsfan like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnap View Post
i scored a used NoMar on craigslist for $300guy was moving to FLA and didn't want to take it with him. He threw in the wheel balancer, yellow thing. Sold my HF set up with mojo blocks and bar that i used for a few years and a whole bunch of tires

So...how do you like it? Does it work a lot better than a Harbor Freight model?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 AM

Garage
ive only used it once for a friends HD tires. it's a learning curve. much nicer than the HF changer
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM

I use a bead breaker base from Amazon with the NoMar bar.
I will never change another tire without the bar, makes the job quick & easy.
Having the tools also keeps a steady flow of pizza through my garage once word got out that I had the stuff.
weljo2001 and Devilsfan like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Lately I've been on this kick to change my own tires. I've been researching and asking other riders what they do. Even my best friend, who worked in the car tire business for 17 years, said to just take it to the shop.

But, because I'm an idiot and stubborn...I finally pulled the trigger on the No-Mar Classic Tire Changer!
(Steve in Sunny FL is going to beat me down! )

They're expensive and I found a guy on CL that was selling the cheaper model, but he lives over an hour away and he said he wasn't available until next week. So, for almost the same price he was asking I got the nicer model and a "Yellow Thing".

Bottom line - I always wanted to do more maintenance but just never did. I've learned a lot over the last year and enjoy taking care of my bike(s) by myself. All these years, I admit, I was pretty timid...until you just get your hands dirty and go for it!
With that said, I hope this purchase is worth it! ($650) If not, it's going on CL and I'll take a little hit in the wallet.

Very nice! Once you get the hang of it, you will never look back! Congrats!
Devilsfan likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Well if you lived up here in northern Indiana I would let you test out your new tire changer on my tires. :-)

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

My First Tire Change!!!

After finally installing the base of the No-Mar into my concrete I set her up. (I wanted to be able to remove the bolts when I'm not using the tire changer so I bought some "drop-in's". I drilled the holes according to the directions but the drop-in's just spun what I tightened them. So I had to get some concrete adhesive - $20 - and used that. It wouldn't take for the first day so I had to try again.)

With the base finally secured I went after it! (You can read my tire removal on the other thread. Let's just say ya need a quality lift, preferably a triple-tree lift. And a GOOD ONE...which means $$$$ )

Once the tire was off:

My biggest issue was...getting the rim into the 3 hard-rubber "holders". There are 4 different holes to mount these things and it's almost a trial and error. Not only that, each "holder" is patterned in a different way. I imagine for different types of rims, so not only do you have to keep rotating the "holders" you have to find the right hole to drop the "holder" into.

Once the rim was secure...I used the No-Mar removal/install bar - which I think is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of this process! I sprayed the old tire with Windex then lubed the removal tip with some No-Mar lube. I followed the recommendation of using the removal tip at an angle. Once in it was super easy!!! Just like the video, you simply push the bar around the drop-down bar. The tire came off in less that 2 minutes, if that!

I cleaned up the rim...then matched up the new tire with the rim. The new tire was pretty easy to get the first side over the rim. But when mounting the second side, this is when I had a problem. I used the No-Mar lube around the tire and around the bead of the rim. I think if the tire was warmed up it may have been easier. And a little more of the lube (I didn't want to overdo it on the No-Mar lube but I think I went way too sparingly.)
Once I got 3/4 of the way I really struggled with the tire. What I used was the 2 "Yellow Things" that keep the tire in place as you go around.

Two things occurred...the first thing is that the rim kept moving on me. This is where I found the exact placement of those "holders". Once I got the rim bolted down tight I decided to use the opposite end of the bar, the removal tip. Bam! All set and rimmed on!!!

Overall take...yes, this thing is expensive. It will take a few tire changes to break even. But, I have a few friends and I have a feeling they'll either want me to change their tires or use it themselves. Mi casa es su casa! I have a lot of tools that I don't use much but, when I need them....it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!! The No-Mar tire changer is awesome, IMO!!!

I struggled getting the tire back on the bike WAY MORE than anything to do with the tire changing process. I also used my little pancake air compressor to seat the bead. Worked like a charm! Took about a minute and "Pop-Pop"!

Finally...I ran down to the local Yamaha dealership because I forgot to get the weights. (While there I sat on a used FJR they had. Mmmm...hopefully next year!) Came back and used the Harbor Freight Wheel Balancer. Some people have complained about this but it worked fine for me, so as long as whatever you set it on is level. Balanced the wheel, applied some weight and, once on the bike, took it for a spin. Nice and smooth! Can really feel a difference with a new tire! (BTW...my Kawasaki dealership had a "Yard Sale" this weekend. I got a Pilot Road 3, made in 2018, for $60!).

Great tool, especially if you plan to change your own tires. I figure it this way, sure I could have paid the money at the dealership or wrestled with spoons and/or modify a Harbor Freight tire changer. But with the No-Mar...no problems!

This picture shows those "rim holders". If you look closely you can see the "squares" on the top. These "squares" have all different sides with different shapes on each side. Therefore, you have to play around with them a little to find what fits your rim type.

Finished product!!!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:19 PM

I've never had a good tool that didn't pay for it's self one way or another.
Fastoman, quexpress and Devilsfan like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

A in house tire replacement tool, but what really disturb me is when tire fail during cross country tours and i don't have the muscle to dismantle the tire from the rim and carrying spare...really puts me off long sole tours..

Anyway , thanks for sharing.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
A in house tire replacement tool, but what really disturb me is when tire fail during cross country tours and i don't have the muscle to dismantle the tire from the rim and carrying spare...really puts me off long sole tours..

Anyway , thanks for sharing.

Patch kit and mini tire pump! Enough to get you to a shop.

Unless...you're nearby your car, that has the No-Mar trailer hitch so you can change it then! (Be we aren't Harley owners so we all ride our bikes and don't trailer them! )
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
I carry both a patch kit and a plug kit when touring. For tools I carry regular tire irons and a bead breaker tool. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...e-bead-breaker . I carry two air pumps, one is electric and the other is a compact hand pump. The electric is excellent but if it were to fail when I need it, I can use the hand pump to at least get me out of trouble.

My concern with solo touring is dropping the bike somewhere alone and not being able to lift it. Or, having a total breakdown in the back country. I always leave my adult children a detailed trip plan and tell them when I will be checking in with them. If they don't hear from me they can send help.

If I am near other people I don't worry about flat tires or mechanical problems other than having tools and a few parts with me.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM

Red face Well Done!

As time goes by, you'll certainly get more comfortable and efficient with your tire changer.

A few ideas...

I like to use a ratcheting tie-down strap to prevent the rim from turning on the tire changer. It is looped around one of the rim spokes and one of the tire changer arms.

Tire fitting paste (grease) similar to what is used in automobile tire changing shops is worth its weight in gold. It is MUCH more EFFICIENT than any tire lubing lubricant, windex, etc.

HTH
Devilsfan likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 03-05-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
I found a used Cycle Hill made by No Mar for a couple of hundred bucks. It folds up for storage and when in use slides in to the receiver hitch on my truck. Takes a bit of a learning curve to get proficient with it. But it paid for it self in a season, as I have three bikes and my daughter and her family have four bikes. The secrete is lots of lube. No Mars slime lube is the best. Be very liberal with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3354.jpg (38.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0789.jpg (65.5 KB, 18 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
...I cleaned up the rim...then matched up the new tire with the rim. The new tire was pretty easy to get the first side over the rim. But when mounting the second side, this is when I had a problem. I used the No-Mar lube around the tire and around the bead of the rim. I think if the tire was warmed up it may have been easier. And a little more of the lube (I didn't want to overdo it on the No-Mar lube but I think I went way too sparingly.)
Once I got 3/4 of the way I really struggled with the tire. What I used was the 2 "Yellow Things" that keep the tire in place as you go around....
My experience (using "zip-ties" to compress BOTH sides of the tire together) is that I can USUALLY get the tire-lubed - WARM tire onto the rim by hand, w/out using tire irons.

Sorry - can't find any pics.
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode