7Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 3 Post By jpd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
17A

Garmin Zumo

I want to get the subj Unit for my 650 but will the power cable plugged into my 12 volt interfere with the Bars? All the other Garmin Units I have seen only have a non USB Power cable with a long plug that sticks out to far and will hit the bars when doing any slow speed turning in parking lots etc...

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garmin / USB power cable/ hardwire

This winter I intend to remove my 12 volt outlet below the fairing and install a USB type outlet similar to this https://www.amazon.ca/Inverter-Regul...Y2QRKCRD9C0KBF

I have 2 cables for the garmin, one with the cigarette lighter plug which is giving me trouble, as nothing like riding and up pops external power lost stay on??? And the Garmin starts timing down to shut off, immediate action needed, then the power cable makes and breaks again, to the point I stop and pull the plug and cable out then re-insert. I found my plug below the fairing has corrosion from getting wet, so plug into the front plug, which does interfere with the bars.

USB adapter on left in socket

My 2015, with the 12 volt outlet below the fairing

My 2007, I have always had a 12 volt outlet below the fairing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
17A

Thanx.

2018 Versys 650 SE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

ALL the GPs units I've put onto my bikes (probably at least FIVE!) have been wired directly thru a circuit that is only HOT w/ ignition ON, w/ one of those 'mini-plugs' that goes into the rear of the GPS, NEVER thru something that plugs into a 12V female 'plug'.
Fastoman, weljo2001 and quexpress like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ALL the GPs units I've put onto my bikes (probably at least FIVE!) have been wired directly thru a circuit that is only HOT w/ ignition ON, w/ one of those 'mini-plugs' that goes into the rear of the GPS, NEVER thru something that plugs into a 12V female 'plug'.

Ditto.........

IMG_0033 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010552 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010559 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Oldandslow likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Same here!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hard wired to the ingnition and have a cut off switch. Mounting from Motowerk.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...24615393647446
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM

zumo 396 hardwired to a relay/switched terminal block, RAM mount, no issue with interference or running the wires
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 PM
jpd

Garage
Garmin makes a hard wire option to a mini usb for their gps units. In reality it is nothing more than the circuit board from a cigarette light adapter with input wires and covered with heat shrink. I went to best buy and bought an aftermarket cig adapter, took it apart and soldered wires on to the board and ran the wires out the end of the plug. I connected them to the aux plugs and secured the plug body to the side of the steering head. You can make the wires for both the input and mini usb output any length you want. My gps is mounted to the handle bar so the wire is attached to the handle bar with little slack.

If you try to use the usb A to mini usb cable provided by Garmin or many aftermarket cables from a 5v usb adapter it will not work. That cable is for data transfer and will put 5v on a second pin of the unit and put it into data transfer mode not just power it.
onewizard, Fastoman and Oldandslow like this.

Jeff

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
I want to get the subj Unit for my 650 but will the power cable plugged into my 12 volt interfere with the Bars? All the other Garmin Units I have seen only have a non USB Power cable with a long plug that sticks out to far and will hit the bars when doing any slow speed turning in parking lots etc...
In my case, it works ok, but I had to remove the hand guards. No biggie since I have no need for them.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode