Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Lane Splitting is Safe and Good"

Glad I live in Cali 916

If
I fit
I get to split.

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good

Last edited by Seeya; 01-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM

I ride on the streets, mostly back 2 lanes with sports bikes, we speed most of the time. I learned the hardway not to exceed my limits. With that said, I would not lane split, I will pass as soon as I can. When I am in a car, nothing ticks me off more than someone going around me in a merge lane while I have been waiting in traffic. I look at lane spliting the same way.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Glad I live in Cali 916

If
I fit
I get to split.

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good

I agree.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

I appreciated lane splitting used it liberally, but I don't miss the traffic that necessitates it.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
As stupid as the Chicago area cagers drive, it's sometimes dangerous to walk on the sidewalk much less riding on the road
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Splitting here wakes up drivers...

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
As stupid as the Chicago area cagers drive, it's sometimes dangerous to walk on the sidewalk much less riding on the road
Sometimes having the whole lane to yourself in Chicago is like lane splitting in California. Chicago has the worst drivers after Nashville (no turn signals on cars sold Tenessee).
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
rlj

Personally, I see lane splitting dangerous and upping the odds of something bad happening. I always try and lower my odds of misfortune when I ride. I have nothing against those that do however I don't do it.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Certain areas and time of day out here in cali its almost impossible to get places in a car.Sometimes it hard enough on a motorcycle even lane splitting. Its nice for bikes to be able to use the HOV lane when one is available.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Thanks for posting. I would love to give it a try, even if only at stoplights.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Legal or not I'm sure not going to try squeezing between two moving cars. Half of them are texting and can barely keep it in their lane as it is.

I don't buy the getting rear ended excuse. Sure it could happen but that is why you always keep it in gear and have an escape route at stop lights.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Legal or not I'm sure not going to try squeezing between two moving cars. Half of them are texting and can barely keep it in their lane as it is.

I don't buy the getting rear ended excuse. Sure it could happen but that is why you always keep it in gear and have an escape route at stop lights.
What he said.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't do it a lot, but can think of plenty of times it would be safer and quicker if I could just split the lane. Many times I'll just be stuck near some idiot, and by law, I can't get away from him.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM

I'd love it if drivers accepted it as readily as they do in Cali, but if someone gets miffed 'cause you roll pass them a bike doens't give much protection against road rage.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 AM

I'm of the opinion that lane splitting, if done safely and respectfully, is no more dangerous than not. I split lanes, when I feel comfortable doing so. Here in Cali, you can still get a ticket for lane splitting, if you are doing it in an unsafe manner (which can be up to the discretion of the officer). My rules of thumb are:
1. Only when traffic is moving at 30 MPH, or less.
2. No more than about 10MPH faster than the flow of traffic.
3. Not alongside a commercial truck (especially buses and semis).
4. Not when it's a tight fit.

I'm generally the slow guy when it comes to splitting lanes and I am often letting other bikes past. There are lots of folks who split lanes in a manner that seems unsafe to me (e.g., 80 mph, when traffic is moving at 65-70, or even at 30 mph when traffic is essentially stopped.)

I know it's not for everyone, and that's fine, but it sure does save time on the morning commute...

I wouldn't show the vid from the OP to someone who I was trying to convince that lanesplitting is good and safe...decent reasons, but not compelling presentation.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

Last edited by BaileyMan; 01-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
My rules of thumb are:
1. Only when traffic is moving at 30 MPH, or less.
2. No more than about 10MPH faster than the flow of traffic.
3. Not alongside a commercial truck (especially buses and semis).
4. Not when it's a tight fit.
These are the rules I live by too, and it works out reasonably well. I still get pinched every now and then in heavy traffic, but it's much easier to deal with it at 15 mph than the speeds some of these other fools out there like to split at. I've actually slowed down a bit on the V, compared to the EX500, because it just feels so wide. With bags and mirror extenders on, I have maybe 2-3 inches less clearance, but the bars feel so much wider that I tend not to try to fit through the same hole I could take the Ninja through. Now, when I luck out and wind up behind a big fat Harley or Goldwing, they do all the measuring for me.

As for those who think they have the reaction times to identify when they're about to be rear-ended and can get away unscathed, best of luck to you. Here in LA, I see/hear at least one rear-ending a month, and the average time between locked tires and bumpers mating is probably around a second. I feel much safer at a stop light sitting up front with a straight shot ahead and two massive hunks of steel around me acting as a crash barrier.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM

Don't agree with this being safe or good for a rider's longevity. Anyone who disagree's hasn't been knocked off a bike by a car changing lanes that hasn't seen the bike inside him.

Any rider who thinks cars are looking out for them and don't get pissed off with a bike rider cutting in with inches to spare is deceiving himself no matter how sensible the rationale tries to sound. Cali drivers are just as distracted as anywhere.

I'll split stationary traffic at lights... but my aim in general is to never get hit by another car, cow or oncoming rider going wide round blind corners.. I like giving myself the best chance of the errors being mine only.

Don't get me wrong by thinking I'm not a thrill seeker because I live for the riding and love going fast around corners. But I want to get home and see my family after my fun day out without anymore broken bones. No more Ghost Riding days for me.

Last edited by crow; 01-22-2013 at 07:23 PM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 AM

In a big congested city like Bangkok, you wouldn't get anywhere if you didn't lane split. The Versys is actually quite handy for this job as the high handlebars get above the mirrors of the cars.

Take a look at this video to see how it can be done (personally, I'm not brave enough or good enough to lane split anywhere near this)

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM

someones going to an early grave .. you get "lane splitting" and then you get just plain crazy .
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM

I do it here in houston when traffic comes to a standstill (I know there is a wreck).

I split/filter pass cops too. None seem to care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode