Handlebar no longer straight - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handlebar no longer straight

Unable to find any handlebar threads on the Versys forums (which I find most unbelievable) and now I have a problem with my handlebars.

Dropped the bike hard on an asphalt road on its right side the other day. Fairing is scratched up, but worse is that the handlebars are slightly off center. Bike still runs fine, no pulling to left or right, no wheel noises, but going down the road I notice my handlebars are skewed.

Is there anything I can do to straighten out the bars or must I take it to a shop with special tools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Here's an older thread

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20058

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Garage
If they are bent, there's weakness in the steel, which could result in failure ...

My 2 cents

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 01-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM

Handlebars are cheap. Get it replaced.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You might just need to tweak your front end back in alignment by leaning the front edge of front tire on a buildng corner or tree and yanking on handlebars... Are the hamdlebars bent at all?

Last edited by invader; 01-20-2013 at 12:39 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You might just need to tweek your front end back in alignment by leaning the front edge of front tire on a buildng corner or tree and yanking on handlebars... Are the hamdlebars bent at all?
The handlebars are not bent in any way. What I meant by not straight was they are no longer "centered". And when going straight down the road the handlebars are not exactly perpendicular to the front tire. My guess is they are off by 5 to 10 degrees.

Seems lots of riders experience this after a fall and need to loosen or realign the triple clamp. You imply the same when you say tweak the front back in alignment by yanking on the handlebars. I will look at doing this when I return from work this evening.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

So later on yesterday I decided to see if I could correct the problem. The bike was in the garage and on its side stand - too cold to ride.

I took my 6mm allen wrench and completely loosened the 3 top bolts on the left side. Then I tightened them up again. Went to the other side of the bike and completely loosened those 3 bolts and tightened them up again.

From just sitting on the bike and looking at the handlebars it sure seems that this has straightened them out. Only way to know for sure is to take it out on the road on a straight away and check how everything looks and feels.

Thanks for the advice and replies you provided me, I appreciate it.
Have a great day.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If your windscreen ever looks un-even or the cowling bolts don't line up to the holes after dropping your bike or in my case being hit by a car. It would be a bent inner cowl bracket.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Mine fell over and bent the bars. I just used a Large peice of PVC pipe over the grip and bent it back in place..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrex1 View Post
Mine fell over and bent the bars. I just used a Large peice of PVC pipe over the grip and bent it back in place..
Hmmm... bending metal with plastic!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Hmmm... bending metal with plastic!
A REALLY large piece of plastic....

For instance... 4" sewer pipe...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
A REALLY large piece of plastic....

For instance... 4" sewer pipe...?
You have no idea what CPVC is and how easy these bars bend do you?

Here I will help you out..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+CPVC
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM

To be fair, you said PVC first, now you're saying CPVC. If you could manually bend it with anything less than 3 or 4 feet of leverage, I'd say your bars have been weakened.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen View Post
To be fair, you said PVC first, now you're saying CPVC. If you could manually bend it with anything less than 3 or 4 feet of leverage, I'd say your bars have been weakened.

Here you go, Mr, nit pic

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+pvc+schedule+40

To be fair, you started it..I stated what I did and you doubt what I am saying..

You do not know what you are taking about, just the crux of the matter.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Well, if you want to pick a nit, you might try posting a link that is somewhat relevant to the topic. I saw lots of search results telling me PVC pressure ratings, proper application, etc. Funnily enough no ratings that apply to bending force or suitabilty for use as a pry bar, although I don't see why it wouldn't be strong enough. (there were some mentions of bending/flexural strength, but they were mostly applied to pipe at a certain pressure or under a test condition not easily transferred to sticking a bar in the pipe and pulling - although again it's probably strong enough in the 4" size).

My comment regarding your bar being weakened had nothing to do with PVC. If you were physically capable of applying enough force with less than 3 or 4 feet of leverage, then I think your bar is weakened. I don't care if you used titanium pipe as the lever, I was referring to the amount of force being applied to the bar, not the instrument transferring the force.

Quote:
I stated what I did and you doubt what I am saying..
Says who? I don't doubt what you're saying, and never said that I did. I used some 3" PVC today to show my son how to use a cheater to get extra leverage so he could get his bike tire off. I don't doubt that a weakened bar could be bent back with some PVC, but I also don't doubt that it has been weakened. Has it been weakened enough to be a concern? No idea, but if you used a 6 inch piece of pipe to bend it back by hand, then I wouldn't trust it.

Quote:
You do not know what you are taking about, just the crux of the matter.
What is it you think I'm talking about, because you don't seem to be addressing it very well....

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Here is the point Mr Douche..There is nothing technical about this..You still have no clue..

So anyone out there that has a mild bent bar you can just use a piece of pvc pipe 2 1/2 inch 2 ft long put it over the grip and bent it back into shape without damaging your grips or scratching any parts..
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Here is the point Mr Douche..There is nothing technical about this..You still have no clue..

So anyone out there that has a mild bent bar you can just use a piece of pvc pipe 2 1/2 inch 2 ft long put it over the grip and bent it back into shape without damaging your grips or scratching any parts..
You still have no idea what I've said. You are the one posting the cute lmgtfy stuff- that's what made it technical. Try reading what I've posted and tell me where I ever said that you couldn't bend bars with PVC?

Or just call some more names without even disagreeing with me.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Rick Peyton...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode