Custom made all-weather covers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Custom made all-weather covers?

Hello!

I'm in the market for a cover--I bought a generic one off of Revzilla (Dowco Guardian Ultralight, ~$45) and it just isn't what I'm looking for. It's very baggy, and really catches the wind--a bit too much like a parachute. Especially in Oklahoma parking lots where the wind gets very strong with little warning, the tipover risk is just too high for me. I love that it packs down to the size of a small lunchbox, but I never take it out of the bag because it makes me nervous. (And maybe also because it looks too much like a garbage bag! )

I don't mind spending some money on a quality cover, but it's a difficult market to navigate... I thought I'd reach out to the experts here. Here are my thoughts on what I'd like:

- UV protection is my #1 priority
- Rain protection would be nice
- Packable to a small enough size that it doesn't completely fill one of my LT bags
- Form fitting? Something that "takes in the slack" and is actually shaped like my bike so nothing billows in the wind

Okay, I'll admit, I'd like the cover to look nice too. I bought a handsome bike for a reason--I'd like it to stay handsome when it's covered!

Are there any companies out there that make custom covers that are model-specific? I'd be amazed if there weren't, but my Google-Fu isn't strong enough to find them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 AM

C-17, I've had the same question and it is the reason I haven't yet purchased a cover. I've replaced the windshield with a slightly taller one, and I have the full factory hard luggage. Half the problem is there are too many choices out there to sift through, but the other half of the problem is figuring out what would actually fit properly. Then there's the issue of what if the luggage is off, will the cover still fit ok?

At work I have seen many bikes with covers that have blown off from wind. A good overall fit and a snug bottom edge are important. I've come to the conclusion that, for me, a full cover is not the answer, at least away from home. If you need to keep water off of the seat then either just a seat cover or one of those half covers that only goes part way down the bike may be a better answer for you.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM

It's a couple years old so there may be newer products out there but one of these may be a safe bet. The problem is, by nature, it's a big sail no matter who makes it.

Last edited by Heywood; 02-07-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode