Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Review - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Review

Greetings :-)

Here's a quick bullet style, non-professional review of my experience with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. Hope the info can be of some use.

BIKE: 2015 Versys 650 LT (mainly ridden without the hard cases)
MILEAGE: 24,214
PRIOR TIRES: Michelin Pilot Road 4 (lasted 7,847 miles)
RIDER INFO: Male, 5'11" 200 lbs, very-sort of-athletic build
RIDING STYLE: Very spirited, weekend twisty bombing runs, commuter, trailer-to-destination touring (no cross country yet)
SUSPENSION: Stock (stock suspension set up by Road & Track Cycles in San Antonio, TX)
RELEVANT MAINTENANCE: Routine pressures; 33 front & 36 rear (OEM specs), pressure checks and/or adjustment 2-3 times per week, chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted per owners manual intervals.

DUNLOP ROADSMART 3 MILEAGE: 9,972 (max life I'm willing to accept)
TREAD WEAR DEPTH: -1 average for front, -2 average for rear
PROS:
1) Price
2) Overall consistent feel from beginning to end of life
3) Good wet weather performance (not on par with Pilot Road 4 though)
4) Long-ish mileage life (longest I've owned compared to prior Roadsmart 2 @ 6,395 and Pilot Road 4 @ 7,847)
CONS:
1) Warm up time (takes a good minute to get there)
2) Not the greatest cornering grip
3) Lifespan (when considering the marketed claim for potentially achieving 20,000 miles)
4) Hard-ish overall feel (even after warmup)

WOULD I BUY THEM AGAIN? No. Not as a first pick. I'm planning a long distance or a cross country trip and will be shopping for some sort of unicorn tire (as if that exists! Ha ha)

And here are some pics. I included a whole bike view to show what they look like on the bike. They are definitely some good looking tires ;-)

Take care my V-People. Safe and fun riding to you all :-)

quexpress and tennistime99 like this.

Last edited by Streethawk; 02-07-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the insights. I picked up a pair when they had a good rebate going but haven't installed them yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
RocketyMan likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 AM

Nice review. Maybe try Road 5s next time?

2015 Versys 650

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Funny how the same tire can be different between people and I'll admit that I don't have much to personally compare it against but I like the tire. I put a RSIII on the back about 1k miles ago. It replaced a RSII which was worn flat from commuting by previous owner, still have the RSII up front. I like the RSIII. I find it predictable, solid in the corners and never felt like it would wash out. We have basically the same setup, LT w/o side bags but I run the top case full time and very similar stature. I am excited that you have that many miles on them. I'm mainly a commuter but once it quits raining on the weekends I'll definitely be out looking for curves. What pressure do you run in them?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

@ Big Mac, I'm definitely considering the Road 5s (as well the Pirelli Angel GT). I was really impressed with the stickiness of the Road 4s 'right out the box'. They performed excellent in the wet also. Was just really surprised by what seemed (to me) to be a short life span

@ Heywood, now that think about it, the RS3 feel is super similar to the RS2. To me, that feel is just a little harder than I'd like. I've done some hard and fast cornering on them but never felt I'd have them slip from under me. The RS3s however, never delivered the confidence that the Road 4s did (ymmv). I do believe that confidence comes at soft compound/short lifespan cost (imo).

As for tire pressures, I've always run 33 front and 36 rear per OEM spec. Thanks for asking that; I've updated my review info ;-) The only time I've lowered the pressure was when I took the Versys to the track. I was on the RS2s back then and pretty much finished the tires for good that weekend. Lol!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 PM

Nice write up.

Although i’m still riding my FZ6 (the V 650 LT could be in my garage soon - it’s that or the FJ09), I’m on my 2nd set of Shinko 009’s. The first set lasted about 11,000 miles and the 2nd set about the same. They’ve been a great commuting tire. Good wear rate and good grip.

Has anyone run these on the V650, and if so, how did they perform?

Dave
Streethawk likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec719 View Post
Nice write up.

Although iím still riding my FZ6 (the V 650 LT could be in my garage soon - itís that or the FJ09), Iím on my 2nd set of Shinko 009ís. The first set lasted about 11,000 miles and the 2nd set about the same. Theyíve been a great commuting tire. Good wear rate and good grip.

Dave
Picked up a bright blue 2006 FZ6 two weeks ago for the boy. Well, he's 18 and stands another 3" taller but he's MY boy! I like the zippyness of the FZ6 when it hits the 8k mark. I wish the Versys had that punch. I would love to see (and ride) a Versys with a true Ninja engine conversion. As for Shinko tires, I'm no help. Putting S21's on the FZ6 this weekend however.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:44 PM

Iíve had mine since new in 2006. Great bike. Just time for a change.

I ran Bridgestone 020ís but didnít like them and they wore very quickly. No experience with the S 21ís. If itís not too late, the Shinkos come very highly recommended.

Dave
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM

I am running RSIIIs, far superior to the stock tires that came on the bike. I have a Michelin preference but with the lower price point plus Dunlop rebates the RSIII is my go to tire now. Dunlop typically run a spring and late summer rebate, I am up for a new pair this spring when they post the rebate (April?). I use balancing beads and tires run smooth form first to last mile.
Streethawk likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nice write up.

Although iím still riding my FZ6 (the V 650 LT could be in my garage soon - itís that or the FJ09), Iím on my 2nd set of Shinko 009ís. The first set lasted about 11,000 miles and the 2nd set about the same. Theyíve been a great commuting tire. Good wear rate and good grip.

Dave
I ran a SHINKO Advance 005 front on my '08, and I got 8,555 miles from it, as well as running SHINKO E705 tires on BOTH my Vs.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nice write up.

Dave
I ran a SHINKO Advance 005 front on my '08, and I got 8,555 miles from it, as well as now running SHINKO E705 tires on BOTH my Vs.
Streethawk likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice write up.

Dave
Dave, thanks for the Shinko intel. I'll definitely be looking into them.

* BTW, Good luck with your street ADV shopping. I rode the V650 and the FJ09 back to back before making the decision. Did 30 minute test rides on both. Obviously, we know which one won :-D
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I am running RSIIIs, far superior to the stock tires that came on the bike. I have a Michelin preference but with the lower price point plus Dunlop rebates the RSIII is my go to tire now. Dunlop typically run a spring and late summer rebate, I am up for a new pair this spring when they post the rebate (April?). I use balancing beads and tires run smooth form first to last mile.

Jack, you tell no lies. Dunlop's value for money (and performance) is VERY compelling! I'm pricing for Pirelli right now. Sticker shock might have me mounting up some more RS3s though! Ha ha! We'll see. I've heard awesome things about the Angel GTs.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
Jack, you tell no lies. Dunlop's value for money (and performance) is VERY compelling! I'm pricing for Pirelli right now. Sticker shock might have me mounting up some more RS3s though! Ha ha! We'll see. I've heard awesome things about the Angel GTs.
There are lots of great tires out there, a little bit like oil preference. In reality any Quality new tire will likely feel a whole lot better than the worn out tire you just replaced. Michelin PRs are great but a little pricy, I have heard great things about Angel GT too. I will get 8-10k miles out of a rear RSIII so for me I have found them to be great value especially with rebates which are typically $50-$100 on a pair of tires. Wish Michelin ran rebates like that more often, I guess they sell enough they donít need to.
quexpress likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Personally, I think 36 PSI for the rear tire is too low if you're wanting to go with maximum mileage out of a motorcycle tire. It's a trade-off with the contact patch of either grip or mileage. On my current RSII tires, I run 40-42 PSI on the rear. I especially run 42 PSI if I'm planning on doing two up significantly. I weigh about 170 lb wet, but with all my gear and my topcase, I'm probably pushing over 200 lbs of weight I'm schlepping around. So is 36 PSI enough in the rear? I don't think so. My other motorcycle manual states that the higher the payload, the higher the rear tire pressure needs to be. Makes more logical sense.

In our versys manual, it states: Up to 180 kg (397 lb) load: 250 kPa (2.50 kgf/cm≤, 36 psi). This just seems inadequate for a "one size pressure fits-all"--especially if your concern is tire mileage and longevity.

My next set of tires i'm going to be running are the RSIII. Just like everyone mentioning, I got my tires with the $50 rebate. I think I payed somewhere around $190 effectively for both front and rear together.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I ran a SHINKO Advance 005 front on my '08, and I got 8,555 miles from it, as well as now running SHINKO E705 tires on BOTH my Vs.
FWIW - I run 36psi front, 42psi rear, have for the last TEN years, and that's in EVERY motorcycle I've owned since '08...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
FWIW - I run 36psi front, 42psi rear, have for the last TEN years, and that's in EVERY motorcycle I've owned since '08...!

-
And so what mileage do you get about running at those pressures? I think what you're running at is the optimal PSI for mileage.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:

-
On standard and sport touring type bikes at 1000 ccs or more, I always run a 4 lb differential between front and rear, usually 40 rear , 36 front.
I normally get about 12K out of a rear in the premium tires like RoadSmarts or the Michelins PRs, and about 14K front.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
And so what mileage do you get about running at those pressures? I think what you're running at is the optimal PSI for mileage.
LOTS - here are the mileages I got from ALL the tires I've run on BIG RED, my '08 V650, starting w/ the OEM Dunlops: fronts - 11,545 mi, 8,555 mi, 11,233 mi, 8,467 mi [TKC knobby], 28,799 mi !!! [METZLER TOURANCE 130/80 rear on the front], and rears - 10,008 mi, 11,152 mi, 10,628 mi, 14,125 mi [TOURANCE 150/70], 9,750 mi [KENDA knobby 150/70], 12,337 mi and 14,123 mi [both TOURANCE 150/70], and 11,987 mi [SHINKO E705 150/70].

I've run them on pavement and on dirt, and (as SOME of the Forum 'inmates' who've ridden w/ me will attest...) in a 'spirited fashion'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
That's why I think running the rear at 42 PSI is better for mileage and longevity.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode