Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Review

18K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  RocketyMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings :)

Here's a quick bullet style, non-professional review of my experience with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. Hope the info can be of some use.

BIKE: 2015 Versys 650 LT (mainly ridden without the hard cases)
MILEAGE: 24,214
PRIOR TIRES: Michelin Pilot Road 4 (lasted 7,847 miles)
RIDER INFO: Male, 5'11" 200 lbs, very-sort of-athletic build
RIDING STYLE: Very spirited, weekend twisty bombing runs, commuter, trailer-to-destination touring (no cross country yet)
SUSPENSION: Stock (stock suspension set up by Road & Track Cycles in San Antonio, TX)
RELEVANT MAINTENANCE: Routine pressures; 33 front & 36 rear (OEM specs), pressure checks and/or adjustment 2-3 times per week, chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted per owners manual intervals.

DUNLOP ROADSMART 3 MILEAGE: 9,972 (max life I'm willing to accept)
TREAD WEAR DEPTH: -1 average for front, -2 average for rear
PROS:
1) Price
2) Overall consistent feel from beginning to end of life
3) Good wet weather performance (not on par with Pilot Road 4 though)
4) Long-ish mileage life (longest I've owned compared to prior Roadsmart 2 @ 6,395 and Pilot Road 4 @ 7,847)
CONS:
1) Warm up time (takes a good minute to get there)
2) Not the greatest cornering grip
3) Lifespan (when considering the marketed claim for potentially achieving 20,000 miles)
4) Hard-ish overall feel (even after warmup)

WOULD I BUY THEM AGAIN? No. Not as a first pick. I'm planning a long distance or a cross country trip and will be shopping for some sort of unicorn tire (as if that exists! Ha ha)

And here are some pics. I included a whole bike view to show what they look like on the bike. They are definitely some good looking tires ;-)

Take care my V-People. Safe and fun riding to you all :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Funny how the same tire can be different between people and I'll admit that I don't have much to personally compare it against but I like the tire. I put a RSIII on the back about 1k miles ago. It replaced a RSII which was worn flat from commuting by previous owner, still have the RSII up front. I like the RSIII. I find it predictable, solid in the corners and never felt like it would wash out. We have basically the same setup, LT w/o side bags but I run the top case full time and very similar stature. I am excited that you have that many miles on them. I'm mainly a commuter but once it quits raining on the weekends I'll definitely be out looking for curves. What pressure do you run in them?

#5 ·
@ Big Mac, I'm definitely considering the Road 5s (as well the Pirelli Angel GT). I was really impressed with the stickiness of the Road 4s 'right out the box'. They performed excellent in the wet also. Was just really surprised by what seemed (to me) to be a short life span :(

@ Heywood, now that think about it, the RS3 feel is super similar to the RS2. To me, that feel is just a little harder than I'd like. I've done some hard and fast cornering on them but never felt I'd have them slip from under me. The RS3s however, never delivered the confidence that the Road 4s did (ymmv). I do believe that confidence comes at soft compound/short lifespan cost (imo).

As for tire pressures, I've always run 33 front and 36 rear per OEM spec. Thanks for asking that; I've updated my review info ;-) The only time I've lowered the pressure was when I took the Versys to the track. I was on the RS2s back then and pretty much finished the tires for good that weekend. Lol!

#6 ·
Nice write up.

Although i’m still riding my FZ6 (the V 650 LT could be in my garage soon - it’s that or the FJ09), I’m on my 2nd set of Shinko 009’s. The first set lasted about 11,000 miles and the 2nd set about the same. They’ve been a great commuting tire. Good wear rate and good grip.

Has anyone run these on the V650, and if so, how did they perform?

Dave

#7 ·
Picked up a bright blue 2006 FZ6 two weeks ago for the boy. Well, he's 18 and stands another 3" taller but he's MY boy! I like the zippyness of the FZ6 when it hits the 8k mark. I wish the Versys had that punch. I would love to see (and ride) a Versys with a true Ninja engine conversion. As for Shinko tires, I'm no help. Putting S21's on the FZ6 this weekend however.

#9 ·
I am running RSIIIs, far superior to the stock tires that came on the bike. I have a Michelin preference but with the lower price point plus Dunlop rebates the RSIII is my go to tire now. Dunlop typically run a spring and late summer rebate, I am up for a new pair this spring when they post the rebate (April?). I use balancing beads and tires run smooth form first to last mile.

#13 ·
Jack, you tell no lies. Dunlop's value for money (and performance) is VERY compelling! I'm pricing for Pirelli right now. Sticker shock might have me mounting up some more RS3s though! Ha ha! We'll see. I've heard awesome things about the Angel GTs.

#15 ·
Personally, I think 36 PSI for the rear tire is too low if you're wanting to go with maximum mileage out of a motorcycle tire. It's a trade-off with the contact patch of either grip or mileage. On my current RSII tires, I run 40-42 PSI on the rear. I especially run 42 PSI if I'm planning on doing two up significantly. I weigh about 170 lb wet, but with all my gear and my topcase, I'm probably pushing over 200 lbs of weight I'm schlepping around. So is 36 PSI enough in the rear? I don't think so. My other motorcycle manual states that the higher the payload, the higher the rear tire pressure needs to be. Makes more logical sense.

In our versys manual, it states: Up to 180 kg (397 lb) load: 250 kPa (2.50 kgf/cm², 36 psi). This just seems inadequate for a "one size pressure fits-all"--especially if your concern is tire mileage and longevity.

My next set of tires i'm going to be running are the RSIII. Just like everyone mentioning, I got my tires with the $50 rebate. I think I payed somewhere around $190 effectively for both front and rear together.

#20 ·
That's why I think running the rear at 42 PSI is better for mileage and longevity.

#21 ·
9500 miles out of a set of Shinko 009's.

The left side of the front tire was down to the wear bars, the center tread measured 4/32" and the right side was 2/32".

Rear tire was down to the wear bars in the center and squared off.

I run 34 PSI in the front and 38 PSI in the rear.

#23 ·
I've written this before about the PR4: Best wet tire I've ever used but after 3,500 miles or so the rear was a bit unpredictable on tight slow corners. Really had to watch the throttle control. I'm still running a PR4 up front with a RS3 rear. An odd combination but the RS3 has a much more solid feel after ~4,000 miles. Tire did seem heavier than the Michelin but that was comparing a new RS3 to a worn PR4.

I may try a set of Angel GTs next time. I run my rear at 38-40 PSI. 2015 with the LT gear added on (my bike is a twin to the original poster's).

#24 · (Edited)
* UPDATE * After much deliberation, I decided to go with the Metzler Roadtec 01. They're shipping now and based on all the positive feedback, I'm expecting to be a happy customer.

RE: the tire pressure comments, I can't see higher pressures fitting my riding style. I can imagine how higher pressures might help me with tire longevity, but it'd probably be disastrous in the more technical twisties I frequent. I've also played with higher and lower pressures on the Versys at the track; lower was definitely better (ha ha!). It will eat rubber quicker though :-/

That stated, the only time I run higher pressures is as needed with increased payload (passenger, cases, etc., all per owner's manual). I don't mind the grip limitations because at that point, my riding style is completely different (considering the cargo).

So, I guess getting 10,000 miles out of the Roadsmart 3 was pretty decent (for my spirited/aggressive-ish? riding style).

Thanks all for the input and comments. All good stuff ;-)

#27 ·
I'm running 33 front, 38 rear. New tires coming up soon as I'm still on the originals with about 3K miles. I bought my 2017 thinking it'd make a decent sport touring bike but it's not really doing it for me. I'm hoping if I put on some decent tires (Rosso III's or Road 5's) it'll make a difference. I have not tried the Road 5's but I've been through 2 sets of Rosso 3's on a CBR600RR and a GSXR600. Loved 'em.

#28 ·
Joel - FWIW - I've dragged footpegs on my '08 V650, altho' I now run Shinko E705s on both (120/70 F/ 150/70 R in BC// 130/80 F/ 150/70 R in AZ), and I ride 'fairly aggressively'.

Also I rode to Alaska THREE times on V650s, as well as across Canada and return in '17. For me, they are fine sport-tourers.

:goodluck:

#34 ·
Sounds hopeful, Ed. I'm really trying to like this bike especially at the price point! I had a '78 R80 /7 (S fairing & S bars, Koni shocks, fork brace), and an '82 R100RS both of which I loved, but a new R1200RS (without panniers) @ $20K+ isn't doable at the moment. Maybe a little more tweaking on my V's suspension, air pressure adjustments and new tires will do the trick. I've driven the Al-Can in a truck. It would be awesome on a bike. Once I'm moved to Phx we'll have to get together for a ride or 3.

#29 ·
Just finished up an RS3 on the rear. 6400 miles to the wear bars, side and middle. This is a new personal best for longevity. Yes, my bike gets flogged hard on fun roads and that's about where about 75% of the miles are acquired.

Note: this was a 170/60 tire, not a 160/60.

This tire was awesome to the end, not like certain PR tires. I would buy again.

I currently have a T31 BS on the back. I couldn't resist the $115 price with tax and rebate. I ordered one up for the last trip to change at a friends house in AR and have three more at home. That should all last just over a year. I and my friend did head out for a spirited(after scrub in) 250 mile jaunt in AR to properly test the tire. 1/4" of chicken strip left, all good.

I currently have about 4k miles on the RS3 front and am pleased. The tire is quite capable and fun. It is a bit touchy, though on higher speed sweepers when leaned over hard.(think 70-80 mph) Not terribly so, just a bit more sensitive to handle bar inputs. Awesome n the lower speed twisties.

Next trip, 6-8 weeks in Colorado area and try for the Devils Highway in AZ. I've been trying for two years to get to that road and either drought (they closed off camping nearby, snow, or monsoon season has precluded my tearing up this awesome sounding road.

I expect to wear out two rear and one front tires on this trip. Yee. Haw! Yes, I love me some Colorado time. (and N GA, and CA, and BC, and NC and AB and...)

Sorry about the drift off topic.

#32 ·
...Next trip, 6-8 weeks in Colorado area and try for the Devils Highway in AZ. I've been trying for two years to get to that road and either drought (they closed off camping nearby, snow, or monsoon season has precluded my tearing up this awesome sounding road....
Steve - are you planning the WHOLE road, or just the bottom part from Springerville S to past the Morenci Mine? I've 'done it all', and that bit is certainly the twistiest, altho' seeing the Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley up N, w/ a side-trip to Shiprock, NM is PDG!

From below the Mine, take AZ 78 E to the NM border (GREAT road), then head to Safford and ride AZ 366 up Mt Graham (Arizona's "Dragon" IMHO!, but be careful of the 'yellow-lines' on it - they are PLASTIC).

:thumb: - :thumb:

#30 ·
I have the same bike.........wore out the OEM rear at 6800 miles and installed a RS III (I was on a trip). I currently have that much mileage on the rear now and it's starting to show a bit of center wear (I do mainly point to point riding). Just the other day I replaced the OEM front with a matching RS III (12766 on the OEM front). I like the tires, good traction wet or dry, seems to be good longevity (so far) and a good price through Revzilla. When I do play road racer (I do live in the Black Hills so it's hard not to) the tires never seem to get close to the limit of traction. I do have chicken strips on both tires however.

#31 ·
I'm overdue for a Vanocker Canyon Rd. run. It looks likely to happen this year as the Concours Owners Group oos having a get together near Hill City. Mmmmm, Alpine Inn.

Meet up for a...?

#42 ·
I run the Road 5 myself, currently on my 2nd Road 5 rear, the first one lasted 7000mi.

It completely transformed the handling of the bike vs the PR4s I ran previously. The PR4 was relunctant to lean over and a little wiggly when leaned over, but had great grip in the wet. It lasted about 6000mi and squared off long before the sides wore out, the front cupped badly towards the end.

The Road 5 rear never squared off and I hit the wear bars on the side and center at the same time, towards the end the rear did start to cup a little, but the tire only got squirrley at the very end.

The Road 5s to me at least have significantly better feel and feedback, and have a bit steeper profile so the bike now loves to lean over and responds like a super moto. The feel completely solid even on the edge of the tire, grip in the wet is even better than the PR4. I've never tried the Angel GT, but from what I've heard they are generally better on more powerful bikes. I talked to a guy this weekend who had a set of Road 5s on his K1200S and he said the bike completely chewed them up, so the Road 5 might not be the best choice on a heavy, high power bike like a Connie, FJR or in this case the K1200. The Angel GT is the stock tire on the KTM Super Duke GT, and it felt amazing on that bike when I test rode one, and the Angel GT looks like the tread would be less prone to being chewed up by a big power bike.

#43 ·
We that addresses all the complaints I had about the PR4! The profile was a bit neutral, amazing in the rain but the front wore poorly with cupping and the rear squared off on mine as well over time. Good to hear they improved it all with the 5.

I've run a set of Angel GT and they are excellent but they didn't last quite as long as the PR series.

I've running some Avon Spirit ST and we'll see how they do, supposed to be good in the rain and for handling. About 250 a set vs 313 for the road 5.

I'll be burning up a pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's on this upcoming Alaska trip so I'll report back how they do. Expensive tire at @ 350 a set (400 in whitehorse).

#48 ·
Just got a set of RS3s put on. So far I really like them. First time I had a shop install tires and balance, as I normally do it myself but didn't have time between trips. I have some weird vibes between 70-75mph. Thinking maybe the front tire is not balanced perfectly. Kind of a strange thing. I am now 700mi from home and not much I am going to do about it now. Probably have them check their work when I return.

#49 ·
Tire pressure is a trade-off- mileage or sharper handling? Take your choice. I run 33 and 36 psi for the handling. I seldom look at the mileage I get from a tire- the pleasure I get from a good-handling tire outweighs longevity. I'm in this game for fun, not for frugality.

Motorcycling is expensive but necessary for my mental health. If I wanted to save money I would stick to my four-wheel cage and my bicycle. If I really wanted to save money I'd just walk everywhere and hitchhike.

Ain't gonna happen.>:)

#52 ·
i tried explaining the mental health part to a non rider. that ain't gonna happen. my 80 mile daily commute takes about 50 minutes to an hour each way. in a car it's an hour-2 going in depending on idiots and accidents. 2-3 hours returning home. and that ain't gonna happen. :smile2:

#50 ·
I have been running a Roadsmart III on the rear for the last 6,000 miles. Still some tread left, but I have noticed that I seem to be falling abruptly into corners, which sometimes requires me to change my line a bit. Grip is fine once it gets leaned over, but getting there isn't very smooth. Never noticed this with other tires as they wear. I ran mostly Bridgestone BT-023s on my prior bike. Has anyone else noticed this trait in the RSIIIs? I don't like it and may look for a tire with a more progressive transition in corners next time I need to change them.
Hankster

#53 ·
A lot is said about tires, and here its about where its made. I always use Bridgestone , because its the only Motorcycle tires made in Japan and imported. Other brands , some are made locally and some in Thailand where quality is always a question.

whatever you choice , be safe and happy riding.