Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Review - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniels View Post
I've been vacillating b/t 185 and 190 lbs. So probably b/t 205 and 210 lbs with gear, no panniers. 6'3"....
PM on the way.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM

I run the Road 5 myself, currently on my 2nd Road 5 rear, the first one lasted 7000mi.

It completely transformed the handling of the bike vs the PR4s I ran previously. The PR4 was relunctant to lean over and a little wiggly when leaned over, but had great grip in the wet. It lasted about 6000mi and squared off long before the sides wore out, the front cupped badly towards the end.

The Road 5 rear never squared off and I hit the wear bars on the side and center at the same time, towards the end the rear did start to cup a little, but the tire only got squirrley at the very end.

The Road 5s to me at least have significantly better feel and feedback, and have a bit steeper profile so the bike now loves to lean over and responds like a super moto. The feel completely solid even on the edge of the tire, grip in the wet is even better than the PR4. I've never tried the Angel GT, but from what I've heard they are generally better on more powerful bikes. I talked to a guy this weekend who had a set of Road 5s on his K1200S and he said the bike completely chewed them up, so the Road 5 might not be the best choice on a heavy, high power bike like a Connie, FJR or in this case the K1200. The Angel GT is the stock tire on the KTM Super Duke GT, and it felt amazing on that bike when I test rode one, and the Angel GT looks like the tread would be less prone to being chewed up by a big power bike.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I run the Road 5 myself, currently on my 2nd Road 5 rear, the first one lasted 7000mi.

It completely transformed the handling of the bike vs the PR4s I ran previously. The PR4 was relunctant to lean over and a little wiggly when leaned over, but had great grip in the wet. It lasted about 6000mi and squared off long before the sides wore out, the front cupped badly towards the end.

The Road 5 rear never squared off and I hit the wear bars on the side and center at the same time, towards the end the rear did start to cup a little, but the tire only got squirrley at the very end.

The Road 5s to me at least have significantly better feel and feedback, and have a bit steeper profile so the bike now loves to lean over and responds like a super moto. The feel completely solid even on the edge of the tire, grip in the wet is even better than the PR4. I've never tried the Angel GT, but from what I've heard they are generally better on more powerful bikes. I talked to a guy this weekend who had a set of Road 5s on his K1200S and he said the bike completely chewed them up, so the Road 5 might not be the best choice on a heavy, high power bike like a Connie, FJR or in this case the K1200. The Angel GT is the stock tire on the KTM Super Duke GT, and it felt amazing on that bike when I test rode one, and the Angel GT looks like the tread would be less prone to being chewed up by a big power bike.
We that addresses all the complaints I had about the PR4! The profile was a bit neutral, amazing in the rain but the front wore poorly with cupping and the rear squared off on mine as well over time. Good to hear they improved it all with the 5.

I've run a set of Angel GT and they are excellent but they didn't last quite as long as the PR series.

I've running some Avon Spirit ST and we'll see how they do, supposed to be good in the rain and for handling. About 250 a set vs 313 for the road 5.

I'll be burning up a pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's on this upcoming Alaska trip so I'll report back how they do. Expensive tire at @ 350 a set (400 in whitehorse).

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
...I'll be burning up a pair of Continental Trail Attack 3's on this upcoming Alaska trip so I'll report back how they do. Expensive tire at @ 350 a set (400 in Whitehorse).
IF your prices are in US and then Canuck $ = that comes to $350US, and about $300US in Whitehorse.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Just ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. $270 installed after $60 rebate. Will get them installed 7/8 when I am home between trips. I will report back after my trip to the Ozarks. I'm hoping they handle better than the stock Dunlop 222 that are in my 16 right now.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1581 View Post
Just ordered a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires. $270 installed after $60 rebate. Will get them installed 7/8 when I am home between trips. I will report back after my trip to the Ozarks. I'm hoping they handle better than the stock Dunlop 222 that are in my 16 right now.
Almost ANYTHING will "...handle better than the stock Dunlop 222 that are on my 16 right now..." - I run SHINKO E705 tires and THEY "...handle better than the stock Dunlop 222..."!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Looks like 8k miles out of the RS3 on the rear, just at the wear bar. Got about 12K miles on the front RS3. In comparison OEM rear tire was shot with less that 5k miles on it.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old Today, 09:27 AM

Just got a set of RS3s put on. So far I really like them. First time I had a shop install tires and balance, as I normally do it myself but didn't have time between trips. I have some weird vibes between 70-75mph. Thinking maybe the front tire is not balanced perfectly. Kind of a strange thing. I am now 700mi from home and not much I am going to do about it now. Probably have them check their work when I return.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old Today, 11:01 AM

Garage
Tire pressure is a trade-off- mileage or sharper handling? Take your choice. I run 33 and 36 psi for the handling. I seldom look at the mileage I get from a tire- the pleasure I get from a good-handling tire outweighs longevity. I'm in this game for fun, not for frugality.

Motorcycling is expensive but necessary for my mental health. If I wanted to save money I would stick to my four-wheel cage and my bicycle. If I really wanted to save money I'd just walk everywhere and hitchhike.

Ain't gonna happen.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode