Dunlop Roadsmart 3 Review - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:15 PM

9500 miles out of a set of Shinko 009's.

The left side of the front tire was down to the wear bars, the center tread measured 4/32" and the right side was 2/32".

Rear tire was down to the wear bars in the center and squared off.

I run 34 PSI in the front and 38 PSI in the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I run 34 PSI in the front and 38 PSI in the rear.
Same PSI on mine for the past 3 seasons! I tried higher (too rough) but came back to 34 & 38.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM

I've written this before about the PR4: Best wet tire I've ever used but after 3,500 miles or so the rear was a bit unpredictable on tight slow corners. Really had to watch the throttle control. I'm still running a PR4 up front with a RS3 rear. An odd combination but the RS3 has a much more solid feel after ~4,000 miles. Tire did seem heavier than the Michelin but that was comparing a new RS3 to a worn PR4.

I may try a set of Angel GTs next time. I run my rear at 38-40 PSI. 2015 with the LT gear added on (my bike is a twin to the original poster's).

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

* UPDATE * After much deliberation, I decided to go with the Metzler Roadtec 01. They're shipping now and based on all the positive feedback, I'm expecting to be a happy customer.

RE: the tire pressure comments, I can't see higher pressures fitting my riding style. I can imagine how higher pressures might help me with tire longevity, but it'd probably be disastrous in the more technical twisties I frequent. I've also played with higher and lower pressures on the Versys at the track; lower was definitely better (ha ha!). It will eat rubber quicker though :-/

That stated, the only time I run higher pressures is as needed with increased payload (passenger, cases, etc., all per owner's manual). I don't mind the grip limitations because at that point, my riding style is completely different (considering the cargo).

So, I guess getting 10,000 miles out of the Roadsmart 3 was pretty decent (for my spirited/aggressive-ish? riding style).

Thanks all for the input and comments. All good stuff ;-)
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by Streethawk; 03-11-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Garage
Good review ever tried Road 4 GT harder rubber lasted me 11000 miles, do a road 5 review please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Garage
Currently riding on Metzeller Roadtech 01's. Recommend. Seem to be wearing well and excellent progressive grip and corner feel. Prefer front tire and cornering feel over Michelin 3's.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 PM

I'm running 33 front, 38 rear. New tires coming up soon as I'm still on the originals with about 3K miles. I bought my 2017 thinking it'd make a decent sport touring bike but it's not really doing it for me. I'm hoping if I put on some decent tires (Rosso III's or Road 5's) it'll make a difference. I have not tried the Road 5's but I've been through 2 sets of Rosso 3's on a CBR600RR and a GSXR600. Loved 'em.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Joel - FWIW - I've dragged footpegs on my '08 V650, altho' I now run Shinko E705s on both (120/70 F/ 150/70 R in BC// 130/80 F/ 150/70 R in AZ), and I ride 'fairly aggressively'.

Also I rode to Alaska THREE times on V650s, as well as across Canada and return in '17. For me, they are fine sport-tourers.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Just finished up an RS3 on the rear. 6400 miles to the wear bars, side and middle. This is a new personal best for longevity. Yes, my bike gets flogged hard on fun roads and that's about where about 75% of the miles are acquired.

Note: this was a 170/60 tire, not a 160/60.

This tire was awesome to the end, not like certain PR tires. I would buy again.

I currently have a T31 BS on the back. I couldn't resist the $115 price with tax and rebate. I ordered one up for the last trip to change at a friends house in AR and have three more at home. That should all last just over a year. I and my friend did head out for a spirited(after scrub in) 250 mile jaunt in AR to properly test the tire. 1/4" of chicken strip left, all good.

I currently have about 4k miles on the RS3 front and am pleased. The tire is quite capable and fun. It is a bit touchy, though on higher speed sweepers when leaned over hard.(think 70-80 mph) Not terribly so, just a bit more sensitive to handle bar inputs. Awesome n the lower speed twisties.

Next trip, 6-8 weeks in Colorado area and try for the Devils Highway in AZ. I've been trying for two years to get to that road and either drought (they closed off camping nearby, snow, or monsoon season has precluded my tearing up this awesome sounding road.

I expect to wear out two rear and one front tires on this trip. Yee. Haw! Yes, I love me some Colorado time. (and N GA, and CA, and BC, and NC and AB and...)

Sorry about the drift off topic.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM

I have the same bike.........wore out the OEM rear at 6800 miles and installed a RS III (I was on a trip). I currently have that much mileage on the rear now and it's starting to show a bit of center wear (I do mainly point to point riding). Just the other day I replaced the OEM front with a matching RS III (12766 on the OEM front). I like the tires, good traction wet or dry, seems to be good longevity (so far) and a good price through Revzilla. When I do play road racer (I do live in the Black Hills so it's hard not to) the tires never seem to get close to the limit of traction. I do have chicken strips on both tires however.
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I have the same bike.........wore out the OEM rear at 6800 miles and installed a RS III (I was on a trip). I currently have that much mileage on the rear now and it's starting to show a bit of center wear (I do mainly point to point riding). Just the other day I replaced the OEM front with a matching RS III (12766 on the OEM front). I like the tires, good traction wet or dry, seems to be good longevity (so far) and a good price through Revzilla. When I do play road racer (I do live in the Black Hills so it's hard not to) the tires never seem to get close to the limit of traction. I do have chicken strips on both tires however.
I'm overdue for a Vanocker Canyon Rd. run. It looks likely to happen this year as the Concours Owners Group oos having a get together near Hill City. Mmmmm, Alpine Inn.

Meet up for a...?

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...Next trip, 6-8 weeks in Colorado area and try for the Devils Highway in AZ. I've been trying for two years to get to that road and either drought (they closed off camping nearby, snow, or monsoon season has precluded my tearing up this awesome sounding road....
Steve - are you planning the WHOLE road, or just the bottom part from Springerville S to past the Morenci Mine? I've 'done it all', and that bit is certainly the twistiest, altho' seeing the Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley up N, w/ a side-trip to Shiprock, NM is PDG!

From below the Mine, take AZ 78 E to the NM border (GREAT road), then head to Safford and ride AZ 366 up Mt Graham (Arizona's "Dragon" IMHO!, but be careful of the 'yellow-lines' on it - they are PLASTIC).

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I'm overdue for a Vanocker Canyon Rd. run. It looks likely to happen this year as the Concours Owners Group oos having a get together near Hill City. Mmmmm, Alpine Inn.

Meet up for a...?
Let me know just before you head up and we'll work something out......when is the Concours ride?

Vanocker Canyon is one good ride....also, The Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Rd.
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joel - FWIW - I've dragged footpegs on my '08 V650, altho' I now run Shinko E705s on both (120/70 F/ 150/70 R in BC// 130/80 F/ 150/70 R in AZ), and I ride 'fairly aggressively'.

Also I rode to Alaska THREE times on V650s, as well as across Canada and return in '17. For me, they are fine sport-tourers.

Sounds hopeful, Ed. I'm really trying to like this bike especially at the price point! I had a '78 R80 /7 (S fairing & S bars, Koni shocks, fork brace), and an '82 R100RS both of which I loved, but a new R1200RS (without panniers) @ $20K+ isn't doable at the moment. Maybe a little more tweaking on my V's suspension, air pressure adjustments and new tires will do the trick. I've driven the Al-Can in a truck. It would be awesome on a bike. Once I'm moved to Phx we'll have to get together for a ride or 3.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Steve - are you planning the WHOLE road, or just the bottom part from Springerville S to past the Morenci Mine? I've 'done it all', and that bit is certainly the twistiest, altho' seeing the Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley up N, w/ a side-trip to Shiprock, NM is PDG!

From below the Mine, take AZ 78 E to the NM border (GREAT road), then head to Safford and ride AZ 366 up Mt Graham (Arizona's "Dragon" IMHO!, but be careful of the 'yellow-lines' on it - they are PLASTIC).

-
My current outline is to spend about a week in the area and try to find all kinds of good roads and areas to play in. The actual plan will come into force pretty much at the last minute, as usual. It's that whole serendipity and wanderlust thing, eh?

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniels View Post
Sounds hopeful, Ed. I'm really trying to like this bike especially at the price point! I had a '78 R80 /7 (S fairing & S bars, Koni shocks, fork brace), and an '82 R100RS both of which I loved, but a new R1200RS (without panniers) @ $20K+ isn't doable at the moment. Maybe a little more tweaking on my V's suspension, air pressure adjustments and new tires will do the trick. I've driven the Al-Can in a truck. It would be awesome on a bike. Once I'm moved to Phx we'll have to get together for a ride or 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Let me know just before you head up and we'll work something out......when is the Concours ride?

Vanocker Canyon is one good ride....also, The Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Rd.
Agree onn the Needles and Irom Mountain. It's just that there is usually(except on early August) quite a bit less traffic on Vanocker.

The dates are 23 to 28 June.

I'll shoot you a PM with my phone #. I would appreciate yours as I virtually never hop on this forum while traveling.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Agree onn the Needles and Irom Mountain. It's just that there is usually(except on early August) quite a bit less traffic on Vanocker.

I'll shoot you a PM with my phone #. I would appreciate yours as I virtually never hop on this forum while traveling.

Answered your PM.....
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Looks like it's time to pay more attention to my speel checkor. Oh well...

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniels View Post
Joel - how much do you weigh, suited-up?

IF we're similar in weight, I'll PM you my suspension settings to try out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Joel - how much do you weigh, suited-up?

IF we're similar in weight, I'll PM you my suspension settings to try out.

I've been vacillating b/t 185 and 190 lbs. So probably b/t 205 and 210 lbs with gear, no panniers. 6'3".
I used to struggle to stay under 205 lbs until I stopped drinking diet soda a few years ago. The weight fell off and it's been
easy to keep off. Wish I'd stopped drinking soda (all types) about 25 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode