• 1 Post By ATYC
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 3 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 650V life expectancy?

I really never cared for the look of my 2011 V. But I bought it to ride it to look at, while I have contemplated getting a different bike, the more I ride the V the better I like. I just don’t need anymore power, it is paid for and suits my riding needs. That said I have decided to just stick with my V.

What I would like to know is what I can expect from the V before it will require major work. I ride it moderately hard and keep it well maintained synthetic oil and filter change every 4k miles, did the valve clearance at 15K and have about 17k on her now and she is purring like a kitten.

My guess is I can get about 50K miles before any major engine work is needed. Does that sound about right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
50k?...Nah.

I'm thinking at least 100,000 miles/smiles and probably well north of this.

I bought mine with 11k on the clock and a year and a half later it has 26k and will most likely be the last bike I own.

You will burn up one hell of a lot of petrol, tires, chain and sprockets, air filters, and plugs before it needs any engine work.

Don't worry just twist the wick and enjoy
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM

You'll get tired of the bike before you run in to major issues, unless you have any sort of bad luck.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
kiwicraig and Randyjaco like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
Here in California, it's not uncommon to find motorcycle with over 200k on the original engine.

Even some police motorcycles are sold at auction with over 150k on them.

Brand and engine displacement matter very little. Don't toss it down the boulevard and don't neglect it and it will likely last longer than you will.
Fastoman likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
...My guess is I can get about 50K miles before any major engine work is needed. Does that sound about right?
NOPE! My '08 is at 82,6xx miles, and it 'purrs like a kitten'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
50k?...Nah. I'm thinking at least 100,000 miles/smiles and probably well north of this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...You will burn up one hell of a lot of petrol, tires, chain and sprockets, air filters, and plugs before it needs any engine work. Don't worry just twist the wick and enjoy
I "did" the valves on my '08 at 20,429 miles [CHANGED shims, aiming for the MAX end of the clearances], again at 39,394 miles [VERY slight 'tightening' from the first check, so did NOTHING], and again at 68,680 miles [ALL four intakes have remained at the SAME clearance as attained during the 20,429 mile FIRST check!, while the exhaust valves had all tightened slightly, from .29mm to .26mm, so I "sanded" all four SLIGHTLY to about .28+mm].

I sort of don't expect I'll be doing another check on BIG RED....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-03-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
You can probably do a regulator change to a Polaris unit to save the stator from "frying" at the side of the road, but these Kawi twins are PDG units as long as you "keep an eye" on things!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I really never cared for the look of my 2011 V. But I bought it to ride it to look at, while I have contemplated getting a different bike, the more I ride the V the better I like. I just don’t need anymore power, it is paid for and suits my riding needs. That said I have decided to just stick with my V.

What I would like to know is what I can expect from the V before it will require major work. I ride it moderately hard and keep it well maintained synthetic oil and filter change every 4k miles, did the valve clearance at 15K and have about 17k on her now and she is purring like a kitten.

My guess is I can get about 50K miles before any major engine work is needed. Does that sound about right?

You are going to have that bike a very long time my friend. There are guys with well over 100,000 miles on these engines between the Ninja 650, versys 650, and Vulcan 650s with no issues.

At just over 2000 miles a year you will have the bike for the next 75 years before thinking about engine work.
Jack of Heats JoH likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 02-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Garage
Rode my Gen 1 for 9 years. Went 66,000 kms before needing one ignition coil. Then at about 80,000 the stator gave up. Everything else I ever did for the bike was just wear parts. Super bike for reliability and longevity. Like was said, you'll probably just be tired of it before it breaks.
Fastoman likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It will definitely out live me...I am 61 and the bike a 09ner with 60K KM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Well this is all very encouraging. Perhaps I was stuck remembering bikes in the early 70s they didn’t last that long even with oil change every 1,000 miles.

I bought my 2011 V used in 2017 with 3500 miles on it, and ride between 7and 9k miles a year. If i was no longer working I would ride a lot more but ride almost every weekend with half decent weather. I did the California Superbike school (level 1) on my V last year (waited too long and their rental BMW S1000RR rentals were all taken). In hindsight that was a good thing because I was forced to get real familiar on my V outside of my comfort zone. The class was great and my V didn’t disappoint.

In the end I just realized my V has enough power for my riding (country and mountain roads) can handle the occasional 75-80 moh highway I do, is relatively light and fickable in the twisties, can handle the odd gravel or dirt fire road etc. etc. and is a joy to ride. Well she may never be what I call pretty she will certainly never be a garage queen, just too much fun to ride.

Looks like I will be enjoying her for a while longer.

JoH
Fastoman and Shibumik like this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I did the California Superbike school (level 1) on my V last year (waited too long and their rental BMW S1000RR rentals were all taken). In hindsight that was a good thing because I was forced to get real familiar on my V outside of my comfort zone. The class was great and my V didn’t disappoint.

In the end I just realized my V has enough power for my riding (country and mountain roads) can handle the occasional 75-80 moh highway I do, is relatively light and fickable in the twisties, can handle the odd gravel or dirt fire road etc. etc. and is a joy to ride. JoH
Totally agree JoH.

I rode crotch rockets and naked sport bikes prior to my V-650, so was used to bikes with mucho power.

The first time I rode a V-650 I thought it was a slug, but I was looking for a good retirement bike that would not break the bank and still provide fun riding.

Little did I know that the V would grow to be my all time favorite street bike and it really does have enough power to do everything I need to do.

That's a win win in my book.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 02-03-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I have a 2010 now with 30K and owned a 2008 I drove 35K.

In no particular order:

1) You can go quite a bit further on a synthetic oil change with filter. I think about 12K km/7500 miles in the manual OR 1 year. No sense in changing it more frequently. I do find however I get better shifting with a 10W-40 motorcycle specific synthetic compared to a diesal 5W-40 oil like shell rotella synthetic.

2) I typically get about 20,000-25K km on an OEM chain and slightly longer on an XRing chain. Could be the OEM chain is a cheapy chain. The rear sprocket will go at least 2 chains and the front 1 or 2 chains. When you free wheel the rear while on a stand and can feel a slight resistance at a point of chain rotation due to a stiff link, I change the chain rather than wait for more severe symptoms.

3) Clutch cables go as well with binding, lubing anually will help as will lubing and adjusting the throttle cables

4) Do measure and adjust your valve shims early. I did mine early at 25K km and I seem to recall 3 were out of range. Most people who have done theirs early on this forum have had similar results. Your engine should last longer because of this

5) No issues with spark plugs although air filter gets dirty

6) I've replaced many batteries over the years. Don't let them run down and keep them topped with a trickle charger and they last longer, particularly over the off season

7) I took may forks apart last winter and the oil was dirty, which I replaced along with the fork seals although the original seals were OK. Front suspension feels better since this.

8) My front brake pads are coming up on their first replacement around 30K km. The rears seem fine. I would also suggest replacing front brake lines with steel braided cable and a good bleed job at the same time as there is a big improvement to be had with this in brake feel. The thoroughness of the bleed job is critical to getting the positive effect of the steel braided lines though. Just pumping out the large air bubbles is not enough.

9) Had to replace my city light (light above headlight) with an LED and then tape it in place to the socket as the socket does not secure it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

I suspect the wheel bearings and steering bearings will need to be done at some point when they start to exhibit issues. Also the performance of the rear shock fades over time. Other than that I would not expect any other wear items on the bike. No one on this forum for instance ever had clutch issues. There is not much to be done to the engine except adjust the valves.
Jack of Heats JoH likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-04-2019 at 03:50 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
With Japanese bikes in general, as long as you do regular maintenance, especially oil changes, brake fluid changes, and valve lash checks/adjustments, and don't abuse them, the engines themselves should be good for 200k miles or more. What's more likely to bite you along the way to that mark are electrical problems that drain your pocket book. I know of a number of folks with Japanese touring bikes who have gone well beyond 200k miles before any engine work is needed.

Monitoring your electrical system with a good quality, on-board, waterproof voltmeter, and keeping connections tight and corrosion free will go a long way toward forestalling serious electrical problems.

The voltmeter I've used on every bike I've owned over the last 20 years is the Datel - DMS-20PC-1-DCM. At $50 they are more than the el cheapo ones you get off ebay but in this case, you get what you pay for. There is a pic of it in operation on my V650LT at the bottom of the first post in THIS thread.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode