Versys vs. NC700X - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys vs. NC700X

I expected somebody else would have posted this already, but I don't see a thread yet. So I hope this is not a repost, but motorcycle.com has a comparison of the Versys and the Honda NC700X. I know some people here were interested in the NC700X, so I thought I'd throw out the link.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM

This article is very well written and confirms my opinion of both of them. I struggled late last year as I wanted to move over to the Honda. I think I would have been happy with either due to my riding style but the move could not be justified with the price.

If my Versys were stolen today, I am not sure which of the two I would pick.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
MTS

Ok, thanks for posting the review!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Capn,

I know Kevin Duke. He's been at this a long time and knows what he's talking about. I can certainly see how the Honda would be a good choice for some people, but not for me personally. And that's just based on functional aspects, before we get to my subjective aversion to "beaks" on motorcycles.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Based on that assessment, I'd prefer the dynamics of the Versys, and gee, I have a Versys! I do, however, like the practical aspects of the NC700x. The storage space is genius. I'd rather see the fuel filler somewhere other than under the rear seat, as I often strap a waterproof bag with camping gear across the rear seat...PITA if I had to loosen that to buy gas. And just because the MPG goes up, doesn't mean the fuel capacity should go down. Range is a huge advantage on two wheels. I'm also not a big beak fan. The new GS is downright comical ("Careful with that thing...you could put somebody's eye out!").

Nice to have choices. Next choice I'd like to consider is the Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM

I would go for the Versys every time. Besides having great economy (around 50mpg), the versys is FUN. Turns quick, easy to ride, and still has plenty of "fun" if you go above 6k RPM. The fun factor is what keeps me from jumping ship to another bike.

This is something that the Honda just doesn't have. If I really wanted to be 100% focused on economy, I would think to just go towards a scooter.

I also agree that I could never buy a bike that I had to take the rear seat off in an effort to fill up. That would be such a burden while going camping or when riding 2 up (which I do very often).

I do wonder though, a lot of manufacturers claim "It can hold a full size helmet", but I call BS on a lot of that. I don't have any proof that the NC700 can or can't, but I know my GIVI v35 side cases can't hold any of the helmets I have (large size), and they claim they do.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FWIW - I contrasted the two bikes in a thread (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20316 ) last spring. Prefer the V, and the "under-seat" fuel cap would be a deal-breaker for ME.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM

nice article, thanks for sharing - they pretty much nail all the reasons why I would always prefer the versys - I know mpg is a huge focus for some but I tend to just ride bikes as I please and not think about it much...I ride for enjoyment and fretting over mileage is just not enjoyable - I'm among those that certainly can appreciate the look of the honda, and I found it comfy enough sitting atop one at the dealerships, but everything I read about the motor's characteristics leaves me with an uninspired feeling about it

the V's tuning, rev character, and geometry just make it the all around better suited bike for me - it's just a fun and nimble bike with nice ergos that gladly accepts an abusive throttle hand without protest - the low redline and character of the honda would just leave me wanting something else

I already have a smooth and strong bike in the 1250 bandit so I wanted the versys for a lighter more spirited mount - the bandit can be ridden with plenty of spirit too, but you do have to respect the heft and layout of the bike - it is a torque laden beastie without any drama...just twist and go and cruise at high speeds with low revs all day - my xrl satisfies my offroad ambitions so I don't have any pretense of doing any "adventuring" on the versys - I'd honestly sell the xrl before I ever considered selling the bandit or versys
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Nice review. As for short shifting I think it's just something you get used too. My MT-01 has a red line of 5500rpm and previously to that I had an FZ8 (which red lined at about 11000rpm). I didnt miss the high revs, as the torque is all down low (peak torque is at around 4000rpm), and the revs don't go up as fast as on other engines (while your speed does though). You don't drive a Diesel Golf like you drive an Acura NSX. Personally, if I could trade my 2011 Versys for an NC700X I think I would simply for the mpg, the great tank compartment, and that I have my MT-01 to have fun, so my 2nd bike can be a bit less fun and simply practical and economical For sure both the Versys and Honda are great bikes!

Last edited by Kawa007; 01-18-2013 at 08:36 AM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Great video/write-up--thanks for posting it. I thought it was well written, straight forward and seemingly unbiased. Funny, as I watched (and then read) it, certain things just jumped out that pointed to my favorite. Bumping off the rev-limiter merging on a freeway you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
I do wonder though, a lot of manufacturers claim "It can hold a full size helmet", but I call BS on a lot of that. I don't have any proof that the NC700 can or can't, but I know my GIVI v35 side cases can't hold any of the helmets I have (large size), and they claim they do.
I think there is a picture of a full-face helmet in the Honda's compartment somewhere, but I know what you are saying. I have an OEM top case on my V and it used to hold and lock a "normal" full faced helmet fine. I switched over to an "adventure" helmet (the ones with a visor above the face shield) and it will fit in the case but now the top will not close all the way to lock. I am thinking it will be the same situation with the Honda's compartment--the picture I saw of the "normal" full face helmet in there looked real tight. And everybody knows everybody is wearing those "adventure" helmets on "these types" of bikes nowadays, right?

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Based on that assessment, I'd prefer the dynamics of the Versys, and gee, I have a Versys! I do, however, like the practical aspects of the NC700x. The storage space is genius. I'd rather see the fuel filler somewhere other than under the rear seat, as I often strap a waterproof bag with camping gear across the rear seat...PITA if I had to loosen that to buy gas. And just because the MPG goes up, doesn't mean the fuel capacity should go down. Range is a huge advantage on two wheels. I'm also not a big beak fan. The new GS is downright comical ("Careful with that thing...you could put somebody's eye out!").

Nice to have choices. Next choice I'd like to consider is the Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport.
I went from a 1050 tiger to a Versys...Dont do it..Maybe the newest one is much better but my 08 1050 had way to many problems. Stupid design problems and used oil....I could not believe how much better the 650 Versys is..
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Don't do it. I went from a Tiger 955i to a Versys. Tiger's are quirky as hell and a bit expensive to maintain. It seemed like something was always not quite right and had to be adjusted.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM

I had a 2009 Speed Triple and had no problems at all in 20000km. You can always find someone who had problems with a bike regardless of the brand (even some Versys owners on here

As for the compartment I've seen it in person, and you can sure fit a full face in it, the compartment looks so much bigger in person, I coudlnt believe they found the space to make it that big, the downside is the gas tank under the seat when you're fully loaded it must be a bit cumbersome.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 AM

If you like to ride fast and aggresive buy the Versys, if you cruise and do lots of highway touring buy the NC700. The bikes are too different to have to think long.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Very nice article.
While I'm very happy with my V and it has done everything I've asked of it, I must admit that I have always been a Honda guy at heart. All of my bikes growing up and even into my 20s were Hondas. I didn't get my first "non-Honda" until a few years ago when I bought a KLR650, and then the V last year. Maybe that plays a part in my thought process, I don't know, but if something were to suddenly happen to my V, there would be an NC700 sitting in my garage a week later. I would like to think it's because the NC is basically set up for exactly what I do on my motorcycle (daily commuting short distances). I don't usually go out carving canyons or long distance traveling or anything rougher than the occasional gravel road and I very seldom venture above 6000-7000 RPMs (even on the V).
Don't get me wrong, I won't be selling my V to buy an NC (unless I got a killer deal on one), but if I were to find myself motorcycle-less for some reason, I would go shopping for an NC before a V just because it seems to be designed for 95% of my riding needs.

Last edited by ray h; 01-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Yeah, even though the motor and wheels are pretty similar, the end result is a lot different.
The bike the NC reminds me of is the G650GS-

The engine performance of the NC is pretty similar to a 650 thumper in terms of acceleration. Underseat fuel tank, check. Single front disk, check. Beak, check. The old F650 CS even had the hat box!

New Concept indeed!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
MTS

I think its really cool to have all these choices!

With the ergo up right riding position!

Really these are all great bikes and none of them would leave you on the side of the road.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 01-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not a big fan of beaks either, but as beaks go Honda's isn't all that bad. Well, perhaps it is, but it isn't a BMW maxi-beak. Or is BMW's really a pedestrian impailer?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Garage
Great review, thanks for posting it.

Despite a long list of similarities, still two very different bikes. The review did a great job pointing out the similarities and differences.

The NC is as close as anything on the market that could make me replace my Versys, but still not close enough.

Always trust your cape.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 PM

This compartment is deep and the top cover is concaved to make even more room. It will fit a full faced helmet. No problem! I put a 11.5 lb Butterball in there with the fixings. That is not just one 4 pack of 16 oz beer but two. One on top of another! Glock 19 Blackhawk Holster and a Sig Sauer P238 Sports .380 Auto De Santis Nemisis Pocket Holster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0901121126-00.jpg (29.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg 0113131102-01.jpg (26.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 1123121640-00.jpg (30.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 1123121643-00.jpg (32.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 1024121025-01 (1).jpg (32.2 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg 1024121023-01.jpg (34.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 1121121342-00.jpg (30.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 1016121243-00.jpg (44.7 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by Yankee Bob; 01-19-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode