3Likes
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front Rotor OEM or ???

Hello all,

Looking to replace a bad front rotor on a 2009 Versys in the very early spring. I was wondering, as I've seen the front rotor being an issue on these bikes. What have you all replaced with? Is there better than OEM, I'd like to not run into this issue for as long as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

another 09 here and the front rotor is fine after 60K km. Whats the actual problem with the rotor?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Fastoman,

The rotor is way off of round. Every time front brake applied front end bounces. Makes riding smoothly a bit difficult. The previous owner has said they cleaned the bobbins and all the other solutions on this forum, but I'm open to hearing any ideas?

Charlie H

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

If there is a way to lift the front wheel up, can you actual see the front rotor wobble and any deformation in its shape.

If indeed the rotor is way off round as you say, then confirm the damage first before replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/b/EBC-Brake-Rot...22/bn_20696847

Front end bounce when brake applied can also be from other set backs beside brake rotor.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 PM

Garage
I have a 2016 V-1000 that I'm replacing the front rotors on. I got mine off eBay. They are from China fasteddie a Moderator here on the forum got a set for his 08 Versys 650.......https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...s+650&_sacat=0

P1020387 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Fastoman and quexpress like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 AM
jpd

Garage
Get into the service manual and do the disc warp inspection. A dial indicator makes it easier, but it can also be done with any kind of pointer (pin punch secured to a toolbox) and feeler gauges. Start with the pointer away from the disc and spin the wheel, move the pointer until it just touches the disc at the closest location. Then spin the wheel until you get the most clearance and measure it. If it is way off it will be easy to see. Lock your steering when you do the check. Check your wheel bearings while the tire is off the ground. Look at the surface condition of both sides of the discs. (Glased, rusty in one spot, pitted ect.)

Know that the part is bad before you spend the money on a new part.

Jeff

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
My '07 (bought used) came with EBC rotors. Original owner said the OEM rotors warped.

They work well and have worn very little. With EBC HH pads the braking is positive, with two fingers on the lever. My only complaint is that the bobbins do not completely rotate so cleaning them becomes a bit of a chore. They move in and out and have some rotational slack, as stated, but not a full 360 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fast2.jpg (108.1 KB, 7 views)
onewizard likes this.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

When I replaced the rotors on my '08, it was BECAUSE they were approaching the "wear-limits", but there was NO run-out!

Bought from China via Ebay as weljo pointed out, and I selected them in 'gold' color....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-24-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fastoman,

What other issues should I look at that would cause the front end to bounce when the front brake is applied. Bike rides fine besides this one issue.

Please advise.

Charlie H
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 AM

Garage
Steering bearings, wheel bearings, suspension (stiction), a flawed tire, wheel alignment- all could contribute to the problem.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I replaced the rotors on my '08, it was BECAUSE they were approaching the "wear-limits", but there was NO run-out!

Bought from China via Ebay as weljo pointed out, and I selected them in 'gold' color....

How are they holding up?

How many miles have you put on them?

Any warping?

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
How are they holding up?

How many miles have you put on them?

Any warping?
1. FINE!

2. Replaced the OEM ones around 59,600 miles; presently about 82,300 miles; so about 22,700 miles.

3. No warping.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
1. FINE!

2. Replaced the OEM ones around 59,600 miles; presently about 82,300 miles; so about 22,700 miles.

3. No warping.

That's good to know. Mine are still fine and in limits but...the day will come.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...2. Replaced the OEM ones around 59,600 miles; presently about 82,300 miles; so about 22,700 miles....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
That's good to know. Mine are still fine and in limits but...the day will come.
I just went out and measured the RIGHT disc (at ONE place) to see how they're doing: came up w/ 6.12mm against the wear-limit of 4.5mm!, so LOTS of miles left....

And remember that I'm running AGGRESSIVE "HH" pads....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I just went out and measured the RIGHT disc (at ONE place) to see how they're doing: came up w/ 6.12mm against the wear-limit of 4.5mm!, so LOTS of miles left....

And remember that I'm running AGGRESSIVE "HH" pads....

Wow that's some great mileage.

Cookin Wid Gas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode