T-Rex Crash Bars / OEM Light Bar - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question T-Rex Crash Bars / OEM Light Bar

I'm looking for some crash bars for my 2017 650 but I also have the OEM light bar installed. I know the SW-Motech crash bars wouldn't be a problem but they don't look like they are particularly substantial (or worth the price). Similar objection with the Givi engine guard.

I like the T-Rex design but they route in front of the forks in the same area as the light bar. Anyone have the T-Rex crash bars installed with the OEM light bar? (Or possibly other brands that provide more protection without issues with the light bar).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Mark - when I had a "crash-lay-down" w/ my '15 V650LT that shattered the left saddle-bag (tried to start out w/ my front-brake disc-lock STILL LOCKED), the bike hit QUITE hard on its left.

I have the SW-Motech crash bars which certainly did their job, as nothing else was damaged. [Check the pic.]

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the T-rex "crash" bar in my 2015 along with the SWMotech light bar with absolutely no interference issues. I think the SWM light bar and factory are quite similar.

Auxiliary foot pegs on the T-Rex also work a treat.

I did have an issue with a mounting clamp near the cam chain tensioner but a little sophisticated work with an angle grinder fixed it right up.

The slider bonus on the T-Rex is also a benefit, though I've fortunately haven't yet had to use them.

Have fun farkling.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
mark.a.thompson likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.a.thompson View Post
I'm looking for some crash bars for my 2017 650 but I also have the OEM light bar installed. I know the SW-Motech crash bars wouldn't be a problem but they don't look like they are particularly substantial (or worth the price). Similar objection with the Givi engine guard.

I like the T-Rex design but they route in front of the forks in the same area as the light bar. Anyone have the T-Rex crash bars installed with the OEM light bar? (Or possibly other brands that provide more protection without issues with the light bar).
I also have the T-Rex engine cages (crash bars) and I can say these are probably the best for the price. The SW-Motech is a joke for the 2015+ models. It is simply a way overpriced bar. The T-Rex setup is much better and substantial. In addition, it includes UHMW sliders, which are great.

If you're interested, I can post a pic. But I don't have any light bar installed.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I do like that the cage is more substantial and includes the sliders (I also want to install highway pegs and some point, which, with the TRex design shouldn't be difficult). I decided to take the plunge and ordered them. I think I can work around the light bar issues.

I'll post some pics when I'm done (assuming I'm successful) in case others have a similar concern.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Ed - Thanks for the pics. They do seem to get the job done. It's always nice (for everyone else...) to see a real world example. I'm sure you would have just as soon not have the proof...
Stephen Hewett likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to RocketyMan
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I do like that the cage is more substantial and includes the sliders (I also want to install highway pegs and some point, which, with the TRex design shouldn't be difficult). I decided to take the plunge and ordered them. I think I can work around the light bar issues.

I'll post some pics when I'm done (assuming I'm successful) in case others have a similar concern.
Hey Mark, if you have any questions on installing the T-Rex crash cages, you can PM me and I can also help. There are pretty much no instructions to install them other than a T-Rex youtube video. It's generally pretty intuitive.

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650
MODS: Thermo-Bob 3, Barkbusters Storm, Scorpion Slip-on Exhaust, Givi Rear Tire Hugger & Topcase Plate M7, T-Rex Racing: Engine Guard Crash Cages; Skid Plate; Front Axle Sliders
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Ed - Thanks for the pics. They do seem to get the job done. It's always nice (for everyone else...) to see a real world example. I'm sure you would have just as soon not have the proof...
Yes, and "You're welcome."

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 PM

Please do let us all know how they install with the factory running lights in place, I've got the same question that I want answered before I order some!

-dm

-dm
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I got around to installing them today and as I suspected, they route right where the light bar is. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to handle it but for the time being, I have detached each light from the bar and just have them zip tied to the crash bar.

The weather is going to suck for the next week or so, so hopefully I can come up with a solution in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1453[2211].jpg (140.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1454[2215].jpg (118.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1455-2.jpg (30.9 KB, 43 views)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The temporary position look good, get some clamp and secure the lights.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Agreed...I like how they would look just attached to the crash bars. Just need to find some clamps that would work. The lights have a unique shape.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cool P Clamps

Quote:
Agreed...I like how they would look just attached to the crash bars. Just need to find some clamps that would work. The lights have a unique shape.

There are many models on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oz_mini-light002.jpg (49.5 KB, 38 views)
jaaklucas likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
https://www.google.com/search?q=clam...&bih=641&dpr=1

Surf through to get the idea to make one. This things are pretty expensive.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:13 AM

So now the next question, do the frame sliders stick out enough to actually do any good on the LT model (with saddlebags installed). Or will it make contact on the hand guards/turn signals/saddlebags first?

Thanks
-dm

-dm
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
So now the next question, do the frame sliders stick out enough to actually do any good on the LT model (with saddlebags installed). Or will it make contact on the hand guards/turn signals/saddlebags first?

Thanks
-dm
Ive had a couple of standing still easy drops when I first got the bike,once when a full tank deeked me out and another from being so cold at a stop I lost my balance. The contact points were the OEM pannier and the handle bar end . The front turn signal popped out,its gonna give for sure. I see some riders take out the metal plate holding the turn signal arm to the side fairing,allowing it to pop out without cracking the fairing. The crash bars should be called engine guards,protects your engine from damage. A banged up engine is bad news!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=clam...&bih=641&dpr=1

Surf through to get the idea to make one. This things are pretty expensive.
$7.89 on Aliexpress:

Fastoman likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Ive had a couple of standing still easy drops when I first got the bike,once when a full tank deeked me out and another from being so cold at a stop I lost my balance. The contact points were the OEM pannier and the handle bar end . The front turn signal popped out,its gonna give for sure. I see some riders take out the metal plate holding the turn signal arm to the side fairing,allowing it to pop out without cracking the fairing. The crash bars should be called engine guards,protects your engine from damage. A banged up engine is bad news!
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I've already had 3 slow/no speed drops:
1. Botched a hill start, stalled the engine, left foot slipped when I tried to put it back down.
2. While trying to roll backwards downhill down a gravel path from it's parking spot to our driveway.
3. While trying to learn "rolling dismounts".

No serious damage yet.. Scratches on the saddlebags and the hand guards. I already removed the bolts holding the turn signals in, so during (3) the left one popped out. I've since glassed the inside of the fairings as further insurance.

I like the Versys, but it is tall, heavy, and top-heavy to be sure. I'm not interested in single-track riding on it, but I do want to feel comfortable on dirt/gravel/muddy roads and generally uneven terrain.

-dm

-dm
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 PM

I like the Versys, but it is tall, heavy, and top-heavy to be sure. I'm not interested in single-track riding on it, but I do want to feel comfortable on dirt/gravel/muddy roads and generally uneven terrain.

-dm[/QUOTE]

Speedy lowering kit, it loses 1 1/2" clearance but you will appreciate the lower center of gravity. Lowered Sargent seat or do your own OEM seat mod,save a lot. Boots with a heel. Tall Versys has a lot of clearance, depends how off-road you like. Im 5 foot,8 inches,can flat foot now but dont ride off road much..I do that on my Electric mountain bicycle, I dont mind dropping it or hopping off and bailing out! That said, the Versys 300 looks like a good compromise. My buddy decided to go from the tall and heavier Africa Twin to a Honda 250, now hes full on off road. But lots of folks on this forum use their Versys 650 off pavement with great satisfaction, theres always a compromise with the concept of "Adventure" bikes.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Even though I'm 6 feet and can flat foot the Versys fairly easily, I still went with the speedy lowering kit and really enjoy the lower center of gravity. The bike really doesn't feel top heavy at all any more and I never feel like I'm going to drop the bike.

At my age, 71, I'm certainly not as aggressive as I was in my youth, but I've never really gotten close to dragging anything in the turns. I understand that some people want/need the extra ground clearance as they ride their bikes in the dirt. I've got a KLX 250 for that.
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode