Tank capacity issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tank capacity issues

Hi, the manual says that when the last reference mark of the fuel is blinking, than there are only 5.6l of fuel in the tank. The fact is that when my last reference mark is blinking i always do at least 100km but when I go to fill up the tank i only can put into it at maximum 16.5l even if I fill up the thank completely and i keep the bike straight and not on the side stand. How is that possible? I thought that maybe my fuel's floating is broken

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
There are several posts about the accuracy of the fuel gauge for the Versys. Long story short, this is normal for the bike. The fuel gauge is overly pessimistic, which isn't a bad thing. I would say that you have more than 5.6L (~1.5 gal) left in your tank. I run across this every tank. When my gauge starts to blink, I switch to "Range," which is also a bit pessimistic, but helpful nonetheless. If I pass a gas station (even though I know I still have at least 60 miles of range), I go ahead and fill up.

Here's the thing, motorcycle fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate, erring on the side of caution. I'd rather that than thinking I have 60 miles to the next gas station, and wind up empty after 30 miles.
Fastoman and Jay_Chicago like this.

Last edited by txcyclist; 01-07-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
There are several posts about the accuracy of the fuel gauge for the Versys. Long story short, this is normal for the bike. The fuel gauge is overly pessimistic, which isn't a bad thing. I would say that you have more the 5.6L (~1.5 gal) left in your tank. I run across this every tank. When my gauge starts to blink, I switch to "Range," which is also a bit pessimistic, but helpful nonetheless. If I pass a gas station (even though I know I still have at least 60 miles of range), I go ahead and fill up.

Here's the thing, motorcycle fuel gauge are notoriously inaccurate, erring on the side of caution. I'd rather that than thinking I have 60 miles to the next gas station, and wind up empty after 30 miles.
The fact is that the manual says clearly that when the gauge starts to blink there are 5.6l in the tank. But in my case i have 5l left AFTER i did 100km already since the gauge starts to blink! Basically, when mu gauge starts to blink it means that i have at least 10l in the tank..it's a huge difference compared to the 5.6l written on the manual.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
The fact is that the manual says clearly that when the gauge starts to blink there are 5.6l in the tank. But in my case i have 5l left AFTER i did 100km already since the gauge starts to blink! Basically, when mu gauge starts to blink it means that i have at least 10l in the tank..it's a huge difference compared to the 5.6l written on the manual.
Yep. You are correct. It's a huge difference. The manual is as accurate as the fuel gauge. As someone who writes manuals, this inaccuracy could be due to a number of reasons, not the least of which is "We're going to tell people to gas up NOW, so no one ever runs out of gas in a dangerous place and blames us."
Fastoman and Duffy like this.

Last edited by txcyclist; 01-07-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
Yep. You are correct. It's a huge difference. The manual is as accurate as the fuel gauge. As someone who writes manuals, this inaccuracy could be due to a number of reasons, not the least of which "We're going to tell people to gas up NOW, so no one ever runs out of gas in a dangerous place and blames us."
Eheh you could be right, sure, but it also could be that my gauge is damaged

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Eheh you could be right, sure, but it also could be that my gauge is damaged
Your gauge is not damaged. The numerous threads in this forum on this subject show that this behavior is common to the bike.
quexpress and ryu10 like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Usual on most motorcycles....most of my past bikes didn't even have a fuel gauge. Learn to rely on your odometer based on your riding style.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
The only accurate fuel gauge I have had on any bike is the aftermarket EMS tank on my KLR ... it's translucent!

Other'n that, they all lie.
ryu10 likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you. I really don't understand why they wrote that on the manual, it's a mistery.
Btw i fill up the tank with the bike straight and not on the side stand, i don't know if it's matter.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks to all of you. I really don't understand why they wrote that on the manual, it's a mistery.
The information in the manual was likely based on tests performed on pre-production bikes. The information might have been accurate for those tests, but not for the bike models that went to production. There's also the chance that information hasn't changed since Gen I bikes, because engineers are very good at telling technical authors, "No, no...nothing's changed from the last version, so keep this info the same" even though things did change. In short, there are any number of reasons why the information appears in the manual. Bottom line: Your gauge is fine.

And, with that, I'm going to withdraw from this convo, and enjoy my day and my bike...which, like yours, has nothing wrong with it.
ryu10 likes this.

Last edited by txcyclist; 01-07-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Over the years, all 3 of my Yamaha FJRs and my Suzuki Vstroms have always been very accurate with fuel gauge...but the Versys 650 and 1000 are so far off it's a joke.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Taking about fuel gauges and low fuel warning, the small pilot light that come on when low on fuel is actual called IDOT'S LIGHT in Engineering term. This is because, people might interpret E as ENOUGH and F as FILL , so when the light comes on what is actual saying , Idiot please fill up.

Now I may have expressed in a very bad way, but this is how designer design warning system for commoners and I was a design guy in Motorola in the 70,s

Nothing stated here should be taken as personal or offensive as its purely facts.

So when the last bar comes ON please fill up and don't let the light blink.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Better for the low fuel to go on early than late! Now you know that donít worry about it. Manufacturers will always be conservative, they donít want to get sued. Light comes on some says hey no problem I can go 70 miles, rides along at 80 mph and runs put of gas 40 miles later then want to sue the manufacturer for misleading information, pain and suffering, tow truck cost, etc. etc.

Back in the carburetor days when I had to switch the petcock to reserve I knew I had less than 30 miles at a modest pace.
txcyclist and ryu10 like this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Eheh you could be right, sure, but it also could be that my gauge is damaged...
ryu10 - I believe I can say w/out fear of contradiction, that YOUR Versys is FINE! Quit worrying about it so much.

Quote:
...Btw i fill up the tank with the bike straight and not on the side stand, i don't know if it's matter....
FWIW - I ALWAYS fill my bike that way (I straddle it, feet on the ground), and IF I'll be riding AT LEAST 30kms (18 miles) before I 'park it' for the night, I fill it RIGHT to the top which is about another .4 US gallon, but NEVER if I'll park it sooner, as it WILL leak from 'thermal-expansion'.
txcyclist and ryu10 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Ok, i got it. Thanks to all of you!

Fastoman likes this.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:14 PM

Garage
Kick stand is the ground for static electricity. I've seen safety pics of burnt crotches from fueling sitting on the bike. Is one more pint worth it? And my fuel light flashes with 2 gal. in tank.
Fastoman, Duffy and 16VGTIDave like this.

Last edited by Gibster; 01-08-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: addition
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...FWIW - I ALWAYS fill my bike that way (I straddle it, feet on the ground), and IF I'll be riding AT LEAST 30kms (18 miles) before I 'park it' for the night, I fill it RIGHT to the top which is about another .4 US gallon, but NEVER if I'll park it sooner, as it WILL leak from 'thermal-expansion'.
Here's a pic showing how HIGH I fill when I fill it up to the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1664 copy 2.jpg (287.0 KB, 21 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibster View Post
Kick stand is the ground for static electricity. I've seen safety pics of burnt crotches from fueling sitting on the bike. Is one more pint worth it? And my fuel light flashes with 2 gal. in tank.
If it's as dangerous as you suggest, how come MORE cars don't burst into flame while fueling (the four tires insulate the car from discharging static)?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

The bottom line here is that there is a huge discrepancy from the manual to reality. But since you guys are telling me that it's completely normal, I avoid to go to my dealer to check the gauge then

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If it's as dangerous as you suggest, how come MORE cars don't burst into flame while fueling (the four tires insulate the car from discharging static)?
Just something talked about at a safety class. The pics of blistered balls will really make you think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode