• 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 2 Post By Heywood
  • 4 Post By Heywood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
MojoLever Alternative

Not wanting to derail Hawkerjet's S21 deal thread anymore than I have, I'll start this.

So I've been watching some YT videos on tire changing and I know the Mojo Lever is the hot ticket but man is he proud of that stick . I'm a DIY guy and have a hard time paying for something I can make, so then I stumble across this go to 3:07 in the video
Pretty ingenious. So then I travel over to eBay and locate this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-Tire...5/201375641273 With the steel in the garage I can build the same for < $30 and it actually seems (to me at least) is easier than the Mojo Lever. Thoughts?
ETA: maybe I should make a few for sale and advertise it as the "Mojo Killer"
52Degrees and Canucklehead like this.

Last edited by Heywood; 01-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great find there Heywood.

I went with the mojo lever which works well but is a tad pricy.

Had I known about your find I probably would have gone that route.

Bought the Mojo Lee-Vah after watching this demo video.

Love listening to Aussies cool accent and funny sayings. "Alrut" and "For [email protected]$%k's sake don't lose it." Lol.

Cheers mates.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 02-04-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That's cool! Makes me think I really should pick up that harbor fright tire changer.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Wow thats a crazy price for the MojoLever. I like your idea of a DIY solution I may try that as well. I find tires arent that hard to change once I gained some experience with a solid changing stand and bead breaker, but those video make to look soooooo easy. I imagine it wouldnt work with tubed tires but those are softer anyways. Thanks for the idea, video and eBay link

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
That's cool! Makes me think I really should pick up that harbor freight tire changer.
Me TOO!

-
52Degrees likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
..once I gained some experience with a solid changing stand ...
So that got me thinking too b/c I really don't have a lot of space with all my other crap that I have amassed so I'm thinking I could make the tire stand fit into a receiver hitch for the back of my truck so I don't have to have a large stand or bolt it to my floor
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Never changed tire, but with a tool like that, i might not fear it anymore..

Thanks for sharing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
So that got me thinking too b/c I really don't have a lot of space with all my other crap that I have amassed so I'm thinking I could make the tire stand fit into a receiver hitch for the back of my truck so I don't have to have a large stand or bolt it to my floor
GOOD thinking!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I do not bolt my stand to anything, but also dont use a Mojo Lever or similar technique. I have a stand from Tusk, Rocky Mtn ATV/MC house brand, and I just set it on a concrete floor when I use it. If you are exerting so much force on the wheel and stand that it needs to be bolted down you are doing it wrong, and damage to something is about to occur. I could maybe make it easier on myself by securing it, but for changing 2-3 sets of tires a year with traditional tire irons its fine on the floor or driveway

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It's been done. These examples might prove to be interesting:

Mods to my Harbor Freight tire changer...

Harbor Freight Tire Changer - Truck Hitch Mount

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 01-09-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
That's cool! Makes me think I really should pick up that harbor fright tire changer.

Buy this changer and get the Mojo Lever for free.......https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads...er-350.119387/
52Degrees likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 PM

Garage
I only drive local now. Texas is a bit of a hump for me.
weljo2001 likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
It's been done. These examples might prove to be interesting:
Mods to my Harbor Freight tire changer...
Harbor Freight Tire Changer - Truck Hitch Mount
Oh I'm sure it's been done before, I had no intention of reinventing that wheel The second link it pretty much what I had envisioned. I might try fabbing some delrin rim holders to replace the steel ones that come with the unit. I'm sure I could probably even buy 'em as someone's probably already done those too. Or just save some time and money and buy some Plastidip...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face Mojoblocks

Quote:
I might try fabbing some delrin rim holders to replace the steel ones that come with the unit. I'm sure I could probably even buy 'em as someone's probably already done those too. Or just save some time and money and buy some Plastidip...

Mojoblocks

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
It appears I don't have an original thought... Just ask my wife...
quexpress and Devilsfan like this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

So with a recent acquisition of a upgraded bike for my son, an FZ6, it needed new tires which are now sitting the in garage waiting for some other parts to arrive before I mount them up. With my last experience trying to get a tire mounted on the Versys I figured for about the same or less than the price of a single mount I can build a hitch mount for the HF tire changer. Here's my hitch mount, it came out a little taller than I hoped but I wanted it tall enough to clear the tailgate when down. I need to make some delrin blocks like the Mojo's to hold the rim.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Great ideas here with the self made tools.

I've been changing my own tires these last few years.

I've never had much success trying to change tires with tire levers though. I actually ruined a tire once using them by bending a bead wire. Levers do work with practice but you really need two or three people and lots of sweat and tears. The problem is holding the bead in the centre channel so you have enough slack in the bead to get it over the rim lip while keeping it from popping off. Easy in theory but very, very difficult to do with only two hands in practice. A tire mounting machine though makes the job as effortless as turning a screw driver.

Do use lots of Windex or tire lube when mounting though. Lubing the bead is essential to make the job go easy.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-04-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode