Great Deal on Bridgestone S21 Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great Deal on Bridgestone S21 Tires

Rockey Mountain ATV always has good prices on tires.

Just took a look at current prices on the great Bridgestone S21's and found this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...otorcycle-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...otorcycle-Tire

That's only $85 for the front and $97 for the rear. $182 delivered to your door. Free shipping and no sales tax.

If you have been toying with the idea of trying a set of these, now is the time.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What are you guys doing for mounting after buying online? I've found shops around here will gouge for mount/bal ($50/tire) if you don't buy from them but they'll price match RMATV and others and then mount/balance is only $25. I found a shop that did my last one for $30 but I won't go back after my experience.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Killer deal on those hypersports, I wonder how many miles they last?

I mount the tires myself, and its not too hard! After doing multiple tube and eventually tire swaps on my KLR I decided to try a street tire, and wont be shelling out any dough to shops anymore. I can ding my rims just as well as they can

The $75 Tusk tire stand and bead breaker (also from RMATVMC) has handily paid for itself now

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM

tire mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
What are you guys doing for mounting after buying online? I've found shops around here will gouge for mount/bal ($50/tire) if you don't buy from them but they'll price match RMATV and others and then mount/balance is only $25. I found a shop that did my last one for $30 but I won't go back after my experience.
When I got the price from my local dealer I found that I could by the tools & tires online and still be money ahead.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Killer deal on those hypersports, I wonder how many miles they last?

I mount the tires myself, and its not too hard! After doing multiple tube and eventually tire swaps on my KLR I decided to try a street tire, and wont be shelling out any dough to shops anymore. I can ding my rims just as well as they can

The $75 Tusk tire stand and bead breaker (also from RMATVMC) has handily paid for itself now
I've got 3500 miles on a pair. The back is almost to the wear bars. Front probably has another 1000 miles to go.

Great tire. Grippy and great handling. Holds a line better than many.

Got a new pair in the closet. Will be mounting them up soon.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Got tired of getting ripped off by dealers mounting tires.

I now do my own. Went with the Harbor Freight tire machine and motorcycle accessory. Mojo Lever to mount and dismount. Tusk wheel stand for balancing.

It's more than paid for itself many times over. Plus I change tires when I want to...not when the dealer says I can.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I do my own tire replacements after bad shop experiences.

1) install 90 degree valve stem pointed to right side of bike when the tire is off, checking tire pressure and adding air a lot easier.

2) I use a 600lb trigger clamp to break the bead very easy. And use the clamp for all kinds of other projects.

3) For balancing I use counteract balancing beads. I find they keep the ride smooth from first to last mile over the life of the tire. I buy the big bags for truck tires as the cost is a lot less.

4)Use a food scale and weigh 1 oz portions of beads. Got some 1mil 2x2 zip lock bags. When doing a tire change just toss 2 bags in rear tire or 1 bag in front tire. Ride slow 30 mph or less with frequent stops for a couple of miles. The thin 1 mil bags break and release the beads so they can disperse. The recommended install is through the valve stem on motorcycles but this is very slow and more so with 90 degree valve stem. The recommended install for truck tires is to just throw the bag of beads in the tire. So basically I am just using the truck tire method via a much smaller and thinner plastic bag. Key is to NOT use a bag thicker than 1 mil as you want it to beak open to disperse the beads.
quexpress and AuroraTom like this.

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 01-06-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 AM

Too much No Mar paste during install? That's a failure of the installer or not knowing that beads would be used to balance but since we don't know the original install procedure it's pure speculation. There is no technical possibility of ceramic beads by themselves would stick or clump outside of the addition of an external material.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
using DYNA-BEADS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I have used GENERIC "DYNA-BEADS" for MANY years, and I have NEVER had a situation as shown in that video.

YES - they can be messy when you drop some onto the floor (and always clean any from the wheel-bearings area) as they will PROBABLY destroy the bearing or "score" the axle, as they are VERY hard.
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Garage
I've heard anecdotally of many problems with balance beads. The opinions seem to be in one of two camps. Either people love them and have never had a problem with them, or they've found them embedded in the inner carcass, resulting in tire failure and will never use them again.

I have yet to find an instance where someone actually used them and didn't fall into one of the 2 opinion categories.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 PM

So all this talk of balancing beads got me to convert the front tire this a.m. to beads from a clip on weight. I've had some vibration at highway speeds and looking to solve it. The back is running 2oz beads without issue (from what I can tell). I add 1.25 oz to the front and get it all put back together and aired up.
Dilemma:
I pull the weight off the rim and notice it's 2.0 oz. Should I let the 1.25 oz ride or add another .75oz as it appears it took that amount of weight at one point.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
If I had a tire machine, a balancer and time on my hands, I'd try turning the tire on the rim with no weights in or on it until it was as close to balanced as it can get, and go from there. 2 ounces on a motorcycle tire seems a bit excessive to me.

However, since I have none of those 3 things... Lol.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
If I had a tire machine, a balancer and time on my hands, I'd try turning the tire on the rim with no weights in or on it until it was as close to balanced as it can get, and go from there. 2 ounces on a motorcycle tire seems a bit excessive to me.

However, since I have none of those 3 things... Lol.
Ha! That's exactly where I'm at. That's my thought too, esp. in a front tire.
52Degrees likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That looks like too many beads for that size of tire. Mine never stick like that, perhaps too much lube used.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So all this talk of balancing beads got me to convert the front tire this a.m. to beads from a clip on weight. I've had some vibration at highway speeds and looking to solve it. The back is running 2oz beads without issue (from what I can tell). I add 1.25 oz to the front and get it all put back together and aired up.
Dilemma:
I pull the weight off the rim and notice it's 2.0 oz. Should I let the 1.25 oz ride or add another .75oz as it appears it took that amount of weight at one point.
I would try it with the1.25 oz you put in. Maybe the vibration was too much weight on the front weight. I don’t think going with 2 oz of beads would be a problem other than perhaps a waste of beads.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face Balancing beads

I have been using Dyna-Beads (generic) for over 15 years without any of the beads sticking in the tire such as shown in the video.
Tire lube should only be applied to the tire bead seat and bead heel. No tire lube should be in the interior portion of the tire.

Note: I always mark the heavy location of my rims with yellow dots because the heavy portion is not always where the valve is located.

Then the light spot of the tire (yellow dot) is lined up with the dots on the rim.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I have been using Dyna-Beads (generic) for over 15 years without any of the beads sticking in the tire such as shown in the video.
Tire lube should only be applied to the tire bead seat and bead heel. No tire lube should be in the interior portion of the tire.

Note: I always mark the heavy location of my rims with yellow dots because the heavy portion is not always where the valve is located.

Then the light spot of the tire (yellow dot) is lined up with the dots on the rim.

What brand tire change stand are you using in the picture?

Love your signature: "I still have a full deck, I just shuffle slower."

Classic! And boy can I relate...Lol.

Cheers.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Dilemma:
I suggest you just stick w/ the 1.25 ounce you already put into it.

FWIW - I put 2oz in rears, 1.5oz in fronts, UNLESS it's the 130/80 x 17 rear that rides on my '08 front wheel - it gets the 2oz.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
What brand tire change stand are you using in the picture?

Love your signature: "I still have a full deck, I just shuffle slower."

Classic! And boy can I relate...Lol.

Cheers.

... and lately ... I have been shuffling much slower that I'm willing to admit.

It's a modified Harbor Freight tire stand.
IMHO we should start a "Modifications to HF Tire Changer" post.
I'm willing to bet that a few here have "tinkered" with their HF tire changer.

Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode