• 3 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By JimK
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Road Kill Revenge!

A few weeks back I was out riding with a car in front and didn’t see the dead possum in time to avoid it, thump, thump and a bit of squirming and it was over.

The following weekend I get ready for a ride and check my tire pressure, rear tire at 12PSI a leak! I check the tire and notice a very small off white bit embedded in the tire, sure enough there is a small leak there.

Seems to be a small bone fragment punctured my tire. That flattened possum took out his revenge on me.

Anyone else have any road kill tales to tell?

JoH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Yo Jack,

I have a question for you. How do you know it was a dead possum in the road?

He may have been playing possum...Lol.

Either way it sounds like you made short work of him.

Cheers mate.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM

I have a story if near misses count.

A few months ago was on one of my favorite mountain roads. There is this 90 degree right turn that looks like it would be fairly tight but you actually can negotiate it in 5th gear at 50 or 60 mph.

So I come flying around the turn then grab a handful of throttle, accelerating to around 70 and suddenly see a wagon train of wild turkeys crossing the road about 30 yards ahead. They were nose to tail effectively creating a small wall.

I let off the gas and take aim for what I thought was the last one in the line on the right shoulder of the road. Thinking a small space will develop as he proceeds from right to left only to discover there is another bird behind him.

Now I am thinking 2 things. Will I keep it on the rubber and how much will it hurt if I clobber a turkey. As I approach the end of the line the last turkey suddenly takes off in flight instead of steeping in front of me. Now I have an escape route and miss them all.

For sure another one of those "I'd rather be lucky than good" moments, and live to ride again.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I have a story if near misses count.

A few months ago was on one of my favorite mountain roads. There is this 90 degree right turn that looks like it would be fairly tight but you actually can negotiate it in 5th gear at 50 or 60 mph.

So I come flying around the turn then grab a handful of throttle, accelerating to around 70 and suddenly see a wagon train of wild turkeys crossing the road about 30 yards ahead. They were nose to tail effectively creating a small wall.

I let off the gas and take aim for what I thought was the last one in the line on the right shoulder of the road. Thinking a small space will develop as he proceeds from right to left only to discover there is another bird behind him.

Now I am thinking 2 things. Will I keep it on the rubber and how much will it hurt if I clobber a turkey. As I approach the end of the line the last turkey suddenly takes off in flight instead of steeping in front of me. Now I have an escape route and miss them all.

For sure another one of those "I'd rather be lucky than good" moments, and live to ride again.

I can say I had a similar event happen, except the dam Turkey took flight from right to left, hit my mirror and banged off my helmet doing 80 KM / HR, so once stopped I had to get tools out and fix my mirror and truthfully I was a little shaken up, those things up close are huge and the glancing off the helmet hurt. By the time I got turned around, it was gone in the bush. Since then I have a much greater respect for them.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I can say I had a similar event happen, except the dam Turkey took flight from right to left, hit my mirror and banged off my helmet doing 80 KM / HR, so once stopped I had to get tools out and fix my mirror and truthfully I was a little shaken up, those things up close are huge and the glancing off the helmet hurt. By the time I got turned around, it was gone in the bush. Since then I have a much greater respect for them.
I have a buddy who is an avid turkey hunter. Talked to him after the incident and asked how much they weigh?

He said a mature Tom would be around 20 pounds.

So 20 pounds at around 40 mph...yea I think it would leave a mark.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Garage
Just my thoughts. I don`t think running over a possum would flatten a tire , I think you picked up something else along the way. I would try and keep a distance between me and the car ahead so that I would have time to avoid a dead object or chuck hole before I got to it.
Brockie likes this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
...Seems to be a small bone fragment punctured my tire. That flattened possum took out his revenge on me.

Anyone else have any road kill tales to tell?

JoH
JoH - back when I owned a farm in E Ontario, one of my friends, [driving a half-ton pickup] hit a woodchuck (ground-hog for some...) and it flattened a pretty heavy-duty tire. He showed me the piece of leg-bone that was removed to fix it...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Jimk

Was definitely a bone fragment in the tire very small like 1mm wide by 4mm long coming to a sharp point. I was maintaining a safe distance (2-3 seconds) but was leading a group and glanced in my mirror to check on the group and when I looked up I didn’t have time to avoid it easily.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 01:51 PM

I was riding up by D'Arcy B.C. and I came into a lush thicket.Sure enough theres a deer grazing on the side of the road.I slow down to bypass and last second he jumps right in front of me. Five minutes later I see a grouse doing the same thing. As I was getting close the grouse got spooked and scurried into the open just when it was too late. Caught him with my boot good and in the mirror saw he hobbled into the bush,leaving some mess on my boot and peg. Feeling kinda bad about it I stopped on the way back in case I could find the injured bird although not sure what I could do about it. That spot just happened to be a unique vantage point to see up high on Birkenhead mountain and I spotted smoke, a fire way up at the top of the alpine. Called it in, I was the first report it in this kind of remote area. Its funny how things work out..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Jimk

Was definitely a bone fragment in the tire very small like 1mm wide by 4mm long coming to a sharp point. I was maintaining a safe distance (2-3 seconds) but was leading a group and glanced in my mirror to check on the group and when I looked up I didn’t have time to avoid it easily.
Wow, I`ll take your word for it. I would never have thought that possible. Yep , keeping a safe distance was just recommended to all bikers just for safety sake . I don`t want any biker buddys hurt.

]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:08 PM

Garage
Seems the possum had a bone to pick with you......
jaaklucas, hawkerjet and Devilsfan like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Garage
Last year, right on dusk, one of these popped up, attempting to cross in front of me.

I only had a moment to brake, and then released the brakes and braced the handlebars.
BumpBump, and it was all over. At the last moment he went low as he attempted to turn around and go back.

I rode home like this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J

Last edited by Brockie; 12-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 PM

Garage
Well according to the sign on the left he had the right-away. :-)
onewizard and weljo2001 like this.

]
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Last year, right on dusk, one of these popped up, attempting to cross in front of me.

I only had a moment to brake, and then released the brakes and braced the handlebars.
BumpBump, and it was all over. At the last moment he went low as he attempted to turn around and go back.

I rode home like this.
What...you did not have a Roo guard installed?

I thought all mates down under never leave home without one?

Glad you were ok.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I rode home like this.
That brings back memories, when we were in the Hunter Valley region at Eagles Reach in 2013 Eaglereach
They sold Roo food and let me say first, it is never a good idea for humans to feed wild animals unless of course you are a conservation officer doing your job to save starving animals.So my wife is feeding one of 7 and the largest kangaroo was getting aggressive, didn't take long for my wife to realize it was a bad idea eating out of her hand. I had planned on going back this month until my knee injury occurred in May 2018 , so hoping for December 2019, kicking around the idea of a X300 . Maybe around May I will start looking on Gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/ , need to test ride one in Ontario first.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Seems the possum had a bone to pick with you......
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 PM

Garage
Versys-X 300

Those 300's are great. Sure you need to rev them to make 'em go BUT they are so light, slim and nimble and yet still a full-sized motorcycle.
I bought mine as the V-Strom seems to get heavier as the years go by and I would not like to injure myself should I need to pick it up while riding a lonely dirt road. Motorcycles NEVER fall over where it is nice and flat and level.
quexpress likes this.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
What...you did not have a Roo guard installed?

I thought all mates down under never leave home without one?

Glad you were ok.
Roo guard? Do you mean like this?

Avoidance is the only real defence, just like deer strikes (only heavier).

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Roo guard? Do you mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05YuKGZjln0

Avoidance is the only real defence, just like deer strikes (only heavier).
Now that's what I'm talking about mate.

Yes indeed, except it might be just a tad big for your bike!

Cheers.
Brockie likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Well according to the sign on the left he had the right-away. :-)
😅😅😅
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode