Bluetooth Headset Communicators - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bluetooth Headset Communicators

Looking to invest in a bluetooth headset for my helmet. Thinking about the Sena SMH-10 dual pack. Does anyone have this unit? If yes, how do you like it? Or, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 PM

I have it, had some problems with it. The sound quality isn't great. Neither is build quality, I had my unit taken for warranty repairs, a different 10R unit was replaced after a slight drizzle (and I hear they don't always replace them, cause apparently Senas are not technically waterproof). You can't hear much at highway speeds.

Battery life is fine, BT pairing with phone isn't problematic, range is fine.

If I were to buy again, I think I'd go with Cardo, but all my riding buddies have Senas as well so now we're stuck I'm not the only one of our grup that had problems with the SMH-10, mind you. The newer one, 10S, is reportedly a bit better in the sound quality department, but still doesn't carry an IP68 rating.
docbrendon likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:20 PM

Garage
I've been using Scala Cardio units since 2010 and never any issues. The last one i got was the PackTalk which works great and now they have a newer one the PackTalk Bold.....

P1020099 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020103 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Shibumik and docbrendon like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:30 PM

Garage
I'll be in the market for one soon.

The only good thing I've heard about Sena is everyone has them.

I'd heard good things about the Scala product until yesterday when someone told me they were crap, without equivocation. He drives a Chevy, so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.
weljo2001 and docbrendon like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Garage
I have been using a Sena SMH10 for about 5 years now. I can use it for a full days ride on a full charge. It can pair up with 3 other units and it has compatibility with non-Sena products too. Sena's warranty policies are tough to beat, I damaged the contact pins on mine after about 1 1/2 years and they replaced it free. I've used the Sena in absolute torrential all day rain and it didn't miss a beat. Personally, I'd have nothing else.
16VGTIDave and docbrendon like this.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Garage
I used a Sena 20S on a number of trips with friends. I loved it. The battery lasted all day and it was easy to use. Range was great, as was the audio quality. I wish it was a little louder, but that might be a problem with my bike/windshield/helmet/earplugs. It's nice that you can plug in headphones if you want. One of the guys in our group used in-ear speakers plugged into this jack. He could hear everyone easily.
docbrendon likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:47 PM

I have a 20S Evo. Phone is clear and anything under stupid speeds they can hear me just fine. Even in city traffic with my modular open up to 45 or so people do not hear the wind noise.

I do not use it for talking person to person so cant discuss that, but for music and phone I love it.
docbrendon likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:33 PM

Garage
If you ride with other riders look to see what they are using. The Cardio Pak Talk is top dog performance wise if you read the many reviews but may be more than you need if you only ever want to just communicate with a passenger.

I would not even consider buying one of the many cheap no name blue tooth communicators on ebay and aliexpress. They are throw away quality and do not work above 30mph due to wind nose. I bought one which is how I know. Sena 10 is OK, I also have one, but a little dated compared to what is available now. I works OK connecting with a single other headset but not capable of multiple simultaneous connections which is desirable when riding with a group. I find it is also hard to hear at highway speeds and the auto mic keeps getting triggered by wind noise. If I was to do it again I would spend more and get a pak talk for myself and a cheap/basic unit for occasional use in a passenger helmet.

You will also probably desire a RAM phone mount with one as much of the functionality comes from linking with a phone, such as voice prompts from GPS, music, phone calls, audible texts, etc..
Shibumik and docbrendon like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-19-2018 at 05:45 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:53 PM

My wife and I have the Sena 10 for when we ride our separate MC's together. They work fine for that. You do have to be sure to update the software on line when you get them and be sure to turn on the VOX function while on line. I can sync with my other riding buddies that have higher numbered models. If I were you, I would see what my riding buddies were using, if that is what you need. If it is Sena, then I would get a higher number model like a 20 or 30. I think my buddies like how their Senas work for music, GPS, etc. The geek rider among us uses a Cardo because he uses it for tunes, tele, GPS, etc and NOT for talking to riding buddies.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:18 PM

Garage
I have a Sena 30k and would not recommend it. Mine is currently at Sena being replaced. My major gripe is that above 50 mph, I can't hear the thing. I use it mainly to connect to my phone and GPS and it is marginal for these tasks. Music is awful above 50 mph. My Ali Express cheapie worked better than my expensive 30K 8-(

Randy
weljo2001 likes this.

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Garage
I was told the Uclear Amp and speakers are a nice upgrade to add to the Sena. But that's another chunk of change to shell out. Just get it right the first time.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have some cheap noname "6 rider intercoms" i got off ebay, sound quality is ok till you hit 60+ mph (tho a big part of that is my crappy helmet) and i can get multiple days out of one charge and have rode in heavy rain and never had a problem due to its fully sealed design..the speakers can be easily upgraded by taking the speakers from good headphones , and rang is quite good. if you need infinite range you can always just link to your phone and call the person...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-BT-Motor...atHK:rk:3:pf:0

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 PM

I have been using smh10 for 5 years, no complaints, stream music and get turn by turn nav from my iphone. I got the ear phone jack mount and use active noise cancelling ear buds, they work a little too well sometimes but them I am half deaf already. A typical ride for me will have 50+ road changes so I am quite dependant on my turn by turn instructions.
Glenn21 likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Garage
Been using Scala Packtalk for several years now. Will never use another. Excellent quality, pairs perfectly with my iPhone, range is awesome and the self-healing networking makes it a no-Briainer for us. Ours are paired with iPhones and our GPS units and work perfectly between them. Some here use the voice control. Also, if you crash, they can call someone for you. Oh yes, the voice isolation while riding is truly amazing.

The only drawback is they donít record conversations for vids, etc. Ours also talks with Sena if need be.

Strongly recommend Paktalk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B0ED99BE-F086-4C70-93D1-21C5D537B4E0.jpg (15.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg A14F9707-9A4D-4B35-BA92-1F59604B0970.jpg (11.5 KB, 22 views)
onewizard and weljo2001 like this.

ďIt would be nice to spend billions on schools and roads, but right now that money is desperately needed for political ads.Ē

Andy Borowitz

Last edited by Shibumik; 12-26-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Garage
I'm on my second season using The Cardo Packtalk Bold now and I'm very happy with it. Great sound quality (and loudness), easy pairing and easy voice controls.
onewizard and Shibumik like this.

Not all who wander are lost
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 AM
jpd

Garage
Tthe Sena SMH-10 is an older tech, but they work well. I have several and have been able to 3 way connect with my wife and son with no problems. My wife and I will run intercom all day long and the battery will run out sometime the second day. We recharge every night. I am able to stream music from my IPod touch or tablet along with phone calls from my phone. I talk to my wife on my ride to work. great call audio. I found that I get better music audio with ear plugs in.
onewizard likes this.

Jeff

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
Currently using the Cardo Packtalk Slim, and it has been seamless. Got the Dual pack for myself and my brother for Christmas, and my only complaint is that my brother gets chatty when we are riding, and talks, and talks. Really cool to overlay nav directions, music, or even phone calls over the intercom; and the voice activated controls are awesome. Pretty much has the functionality of my old Sync system in my former Mustang GT.

A Degree and a DD-214.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

i bought a set from china and has served me well over 5 years.. bought a second unit as spare and didn't cost me a lot.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/h...l?prm=1.30.1.2.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Garage
I know this isn't quite what you're asking, but I figured I'd offer my experience for your consideration: I have the Nolan N104 helmet (handsome, modular, light, and quiet, with a flip-down sun visor--10/10!) and Nolan has special "N-COM" bluetooth systems designed to integrate seamlessly into their helmets, which have recesses and removable inserts that make room for the speakers, wires, battery, control panel, mic, and charge port. The controls are small and easy to use even with thickly gloved hands, the mic boom is unobtrusive, and the sound quality is still great after 3 years. And since it's designed around the helmet, it just looks much much better than any of the hulking attachments folks are talking about above.

I'll be replacing my helmet soon, and I'm definitely going with the N105, which is the newer version of this one. I will also definitely be buying the N-COM setup to go with it! The helmet is $440--and it's IMHO the best mid-high range modular helmet on the market even without the bluetooth installed--and the N-COM system is an additional $120 or so. Steep by some standards, but my helmet is a place where I'm comfortable spending higher for quality, features, and fatigue reduction. You use it every time you ride.

So, that's the long explanation behind my short suggestion: If it's not way too soon to replace your helmet or you're open to buying another, consider a Nolan for your bluetooth needs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode