Is there any normal noise while riding? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Is there any normal noise while riding?

Hi guys, i want to know one thing. I'm trying to figured out the source of one particular noise that i hear from the front of the bike when i pass over a bump, street hole, step etc. it happens at very low speed too, and it's similar at something that vibrates or that rub against something else. i've already brought the bike to my dealer and he checked it and told me that there is nothing wrong with the bike.
so my question is: are there any normal noise that the bike should do when it pass over some "obstacles"? Maybe it's only my imagination and this noise is normal, i don't know what to think anymore.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

I specify that I hear it when the bike is cold, when it warm up I don't hear it anymore. In these days the environmental temperature is between - 1 and 5

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 AM

Second topic on the same issue/noise?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepi5 View Post
Second topic on the same issue/noise?
Yes, because I want to focus about the fact that the cold temperature can affect the bike's noise and that maybe some noises could be normal

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

MAYBE you should start wearing ear-plugs when you ride....
Lours_Polaire and ryu10 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
MAYBE you should start wearing ear-plugs when you ride....
Good idea, but this is not a solution for the problem anyway (if there is a problem of course..In fact i opened this thread in order to understand it)

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM

There are many possible and perfectly normal noises when riding ANY motorcycle. Remember you are only inches away from the engine which has many gear noises, cam chains, and hundreds of moving parts. The front forks have valves that are constantly opening and closing shut; same for the rear suspension. Add to that the normal expansion and contracting of dissimilar metals, plastic attached with many bolts to metal and more.

Remember: When you are driving in a car, you are isolated from all of these noises by a cabin which is insulated so you don't hear all the same type of noises. I guarantee you if you were sitting inches from the engine, frame, and suspension components in a car, you would be just as alarmed if not more so! In my car if I hear an obnoxious creak or rattle, I just turn up the radio.
ryu10 likes this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

you're right Buffalo_Bob, but i asked a lot of people and all of them told me that they don't hear anything when they hit some bumps, street holes etc. honestly, it seems strange to me, but hey maybe i'm just bad lucky. at this point i don't know what to think, i did all in my power trying to understand and eventually fix the source of this noise
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
you're right Buffalo_Bob, but i asked a lot of people and all of them told me that they don't hear anything when they hit some bumps, street holes etc. honestly, it seems strange to me, but hey maybe i'm just bad lucky. at this point i don't know what to think, i did all in my power trying to understand and eventually fix the source of this noise
Actually, I do hear noises if I don't just "tune them out" as being normal. If I listen carefully, I can hear all the noises I described in my last post. For instance the valves in the front forks when I hit a bump.

Is the noise you hear loud?Is it like a thunk, or a rattle?

Just a thought: Do you know if the dealer checked for the correct play in the front end when they had it, or did they just ride it and say it was normal?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, because I want to focus about the fact that the cold temperature can affect the bike's noise and that maybe some noises could be normal
Cold temperatures affect *my* joints and the noises I make as a result. Seriously...it sounds like a few people provided some plausible reasons in the other thread for different noises your bike *could* make in cold weather. I'm sure your bike is fine, even though it's making a noise you've never heard before.

If it makes you feel better, my car did the exact same thing the first two or three winters I owned it. When it was cold outside, and my car was still cold, I could hear and feel a slight clunk from my front end the first time I went over a bump and my wheels were turned. After that? I didn't hear it again until the car was cold again. My axle never came off, nothing was wrong with my car, and I never even had a mechanic check it out. The car is eight years old now, and still no issues. As long as this noise, and the conditions under which it happens (or doesn't happen) remains consistent, don't worry about it. File it under, "Normal noises my bike makes."
ryu10 likes this.

Last edited by txcyclist; 12-14-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Actually, I do hear noises if I don't just "tune them out" as being normal. If I listen carefully, I can hear all the noises I described in my last post. For instance the valves in the front forks when I hit a bump.

Is the noise you hear loud?Is it like a thunk, or a rattle?
it is more similar to a thunk, is like there's something that vibrates

Quote:
Just a thought: Do you know if the dealer checked for the correct play in the front end when they had it, or did they just ride it and say it was normal?
he told me that he checked all of the possible source of the noise and that two of his mechanics drove the bike and didn't found anything
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Motorcycles are noisy machines at best.............me thinks you make too much of small noises.
Buffalo_Bob and ryu10 like this.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 PM
jpd

Garage
You currently have 3 threads open for noise from the front of your bike when it is cold. It makes it very hard for any of us to help you when we have to look through 3 different posts.
Yes bikes make noise when you ride them. If it goes away when it warms up then it is probably normal.
Yes the temp outside will affect components on a bike just like every mechanical thing including a car.
When you drive a car you are insulated from many of the noises that you will hear on your bike.
My bike makes a squeaking noise when I first start up when it is cold. It goes away after it warms up. I never worried about it and will not until it gets worse, or doesn't go away after it warms up

Your dealer has looked at your bike and told you that nothing is wrong with it. No one here can find the source of your noise with out coming to you and duplicating the noise you hear. What you are worried about may be normal to us. If you can't find the source of the noise and do not have any handling problems, just go ride it.
quexpress and ryu10 like this.

Jeff

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcyclist View Post
Cold temperatures affect *my* joints and the noises I make as a result. Seriously...it sounds like a few people provided some plausible reasons in the other thread for different noises your bike *could* make in cold weather. I'm sure your bike is fine, even though it's making a noise you've never heard before.

If it makes you feel better, my car did the exact same thing the first two or three winters I owned it. When it was cold outside, and my car was still cold, I could hear and feel a slight clunk from my front end when I went over a bump and my wheels were turned. After that? I didn't hear it again until the car was cold again. My axle never came off, nothing was wrong with my car, and I never even had a mechanic check it out. The car is eight years old now, and still no issues. As long as this noise, and the conditions under which it happens (or doesn't happen) remains consistent, don't worry about it. File it under, "Normal noises my bike makes."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Motorcycles are noisy machines at best.............me thinks you make too much of small noises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
You currently have 3 threads open for noise from the front of your bike when it is cold. It makes it very hard for any of us to help you when we have to look through 3 different posts.
Yes bikes make noise when you ride them. If it goes away when it warms up then it is probably normal.
Yes the temp outside will affect components on a bike just like every mechanical thing including a car.
When you drive a car you are insulated from many of the noises that you will hear on your bike.
My bike makes a squeaking noise when I first start up when it is cold. It goes away after it warms up. I never worried about it and will not until it gets worse, or doesn't go away after it warms up

Your dealer has looked at your bike and told you that nothing is wrong with it. No one here can find the source of your noise with out coming to you and duplicating the noise you hear. What you are worried about may be normal to us. If you can't find the source of the noise and do not have any handling problems, just go ride it.
You have right guys, I know that. I know that I'm am obsessive compulsive about noises, it's not my fault. I will try to follow your advices and enjoy my bike.
The only thing I don't understand is that if this or other noises are normal, so my logic thinking says that ALL of the versys 650 has to make those noises, instead it seems that every bike could be slightly different from others and I don't understand how is it possibile since they has same components, same parts, etc

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Red face

onewizard and Fastoman like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 PM

Im fussy about things stuck in my ears so I made foam inserts in the ear cavity of my helmut. Helps some.I think the fact that my 2015 650 stock muffler is so quiet,which I admire,makes all the other mechanical and engine sounds stand out. And after a long day riding certain sound frequencies can become very annoying! For instance...Ive done a lot of dicking around under the lid of my bike. Had the front fairing off at least a half a dozen times, LED headlights,relay,aux lights, turn signal running lights, side fairing lights,power charger,GPS compass. Now Ive developed what seems to be a buzz around 5500 RPM,right in my sweet spot. Could be loose wires,even a loose pop rivet. So next time in Im gonna clean up some loose wires,put some vibration damping,do my best. But I may not find it. Ive seen a fairing buzz fix on earlier model Versys. I like listening to the engine for shifts but may switch to some fancy musician earplugs,the ones that only filter the very high end. I guess my point is,its kinda psychological the way certain sounds can grind you.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Im fussy about things stuck in my ears so I made foam inserts in the ear cavity of my helmut. Helps some.I think the fact that my 2015 650 stock muffler is so quiet,which I admire,makes all the other mechanical and engine sounds stand out. And after a long day riding certain sound frequencies can become very annoying! For instance...Ive done a lot of dicking around under the lid of my bike. Had the front fairing off at least a half a dozen times, LED headlights,relay,aux lights, turn signal running lights, side fairing lights,power charger,GPS compass. Now Ive developed what seems to be a buzz around 5500 RPM,right in my sweet spot. Could be loose wires,even a loose pop rivet. So next time in Im gonna clean up some loose wires,put some vibration damping,do my best. But I may not find it. Ive seen a fairing buzz fix on earlier model Versys. I like listening to the engine for shifts but may switch to some fancy musician earplugs,the ones that only filter the very high end. I guess my point is,its kinda psychological the way certain sounds can grind you.
Have you see these?
2015 front cowling/headlight rattle fix

2015 Dash Buzzing
jaaklucas likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking if could be the fork's oil that need more time to warm up with this freezing temperature. Maybe the forks make some noise until the oil gets warm. Is it a stupid idea absurd?

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm thinking if could be the fork's oil that need more time to warm up with this freezing temperature. Maybe the forks make some noise until the oil gets warm. Is it a stupid idea absurd?

Or maybe could be the fairings that are more rigid with this freezing temperature. Is it absurd?

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You have right guys, I know that. I know that I'm am obsessive compulsive about noises, it's not my fault. I will try to follow your advices and enjoy my bike.
The only thing I don't understand is that if this or other noises are normal, so my logic thinking says that ALL of the versys 650 has to make those noises, instead it seems that every bike could be slightly different from others and I don't understand how is it possibile since they has same components, same parts, etc

But only your bike has the exact same wear and tear on it. Everyone rides differently. I don't hear noise on my bike, but it's still brand new, I only put 5k miles on it since I bought it new in June. But another 2018 might have a noise because it has double the miles and maybe was run offroad a bit.

Every bike, even though it's the same make and model, is different because of these reasons, especially adventure type bikes. I use mine more like a sport cruiser, some people use theirs more like an enduro. Each bike will wear differently and have their own quirky sounds after a while.

If you only hear it when it's cold and you go over a bump, it may make you feel better to have the oil checked out, it could be low, and when it's cold not giving you enough pressure, making you bottom the suspension until it gets some friction heat to expand a bit.

If it ends up being fine then just accept it as part of your bikes personality, it's yours, and nobody elses.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode