• 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Jay_Chicago
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 2 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By ryu10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

How cold temperature affects the bike's components

hi guys, i'm curious about one thing: is it true that in winter, with low environmental temperature, is normal that every bikes in general make a louder mechanic sound until they are warmed up? I refer to engine noise, clutch noise, metallic parts noise etc
i noticed that my bike is making more noise now that the temperature are between 0 and 10, than last summer.

as i said i'm just curious, i want to understand the behavior of the mechanic part

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM

I'm stupid and have been riding throughout the winter for about 30 years now. Based on my unscientific experience, yes, the engine, clutch and tranny are a little bit noisier in very cold temps, but only until the oil warms up. All of of my previous bikes have been air-cooled and the difference seems much less pronounced on the water-cooled Versys. You may find the clutch plates sticking a little bit at first, too. On most of my bikes, the rear wheel would slowly rotate with the bike on the center stand and tranny in neutral.
ryu10 likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
oil is thicker in the cold and less sticky so takes a bit longer to coat stuff in the cold and that is why there is more noise, just let it warm up and everything will be fine
ryu10 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Interesting explanation I read something about the sound's propagation with cold temperature too
Anyway I noticed too the rear wheel that spins slower than usual when I have the bike on the central stand and in neutral, ad it does a sound like rubbing too

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thermo-Bob

If you are riding in 0'C to 10'C you should install a Thermo-Bob. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...o-install.html

If your riding is less than 10 KM or is more than 10 KM but at 80 KM / HR , this will make a huge difference. Be aware , at 80 KM /HR at or below 5'C, your oil will never warm up to above 70'C, running full synthetic will help the engine, however if you look at my post with the bypass gauge that I have installed, you would be really surprised how long it takes to reach 86 'C with my Thermo-Bob, and my last ride @ 4'C to 11'C it was solid at 86'C . Bottom line, with the Thermo-Bob the engine performs the same winter or summer
SteveJ and Jay_Chicago like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Very intresting But in my case i hit 80km/h very rarely in the morning, but often when i leave the work, in that case i hit over 80km/h easily since i have a lot of straight road. Anyway i just wanted to understand the mechanical part in case of cold weather since i noticed that the bike is noisier than usual
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Don't forget your tires if you're riding more aggressively (doesn't seem to be your case). They take longer to warm up and provide that desired grip. Not to mention when there's ice involved.
ryu10 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Don't forget your tires if you're riding more aggressively (doesn't seem to be your case). They take longer to warm up and provide that desired grip. Not to mention when there's ice involved.
And speaking of tires, do check the pressure as they lose pressure as the temperatures fall.

Edit: feekst speeling air or.
ryu10 likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 12-14-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 PM

Garage
The cold will make all your metal and plastic parts more brittle. Greater potential for breakage.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Temperature and the speed of sound

Temperature is also a condition that affects the speed of sound. Heat, like sound, is a form of kinetic energy. Molecules at higher temperatures have more energy, thus they can vibrate faster. Since the molecules vibrate faster, sound waves can travel more quickly. The speed of sound in room temperature air is 346 meters per second. This is faster than 331 meters per second, which is the speed of sound in air at freezing temperatures. The speed of sound is also affected by other factors such as humidity and air pressure.

Hope the above explanation is sufficient for your curiosity on sound propagation.
onewizard and ryu10 like this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

It is, thanks

Fastoman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode