How to? - Routing the wiring for aux lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By as75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to? - Routing the wiring for aux lights

Hi experts,
I followed some of the suggestions in these forums, and got a couple of aux LED lights + wiring harness from advmonster.
I have a couple questions about the wiring.. can you pls share your thoughts..

1. I want to route the wiring from the battery to the lights (planning to mount them on the front forks).
-- If I want to route them under the tank, do I have to remove the fairings / tank to do this? How have the others done this (any pics would be helpful)..

2. I want the lights to turn on after I start the engine (not just after turning the ignition to ON), and I want them to be powered ON irrespective of low or high beam. I am not sure how to connect pin 86 for this.
(PS - I did read that the pin 86 should be connected to some blue/white wire to turn the lights on with key ON, but shut them off when motorcycle starts (presumably to avoid overloading them with current. But am not sure if that applies for LED lights.
PPS - I read somewhere else to connect the pin 86 to some brown wire on headlight switch, to turn it on as a parking lamp. Again, not sure if this applies for bikes).

Thanks!
AS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Motorcycle Light Bar Wiring

Follow the instruction in the link and you should be good and do some reading on the internet. You may have to remove flaring, tank depending where and how you want to conceal the wires.

Last edited by Fastoman; 12-05-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addition info
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Wiring 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by as75 View Post
Hi experts,
I followed some of the suggestions in these forums, and got a couple of aux LED lights + wiring harness from advmonster.
I have a couple questions about the wiring.. can you pls share your thoughts..

1. I want to route the wiring from the battery to the lights (planning to mount them on the front forks).
-- If I want to route them under the tank, do I have to remove the fairings / tank to do this? How have the others done this (any pics would be helpful)..

2. I want the lights to turn on after I start the engine (not just after turning the ignition to ON), and I want them to be powered ON irrespective of low or high beam. I am not sure how to connect pin 86 for this.
(PS - I did read that the pin 86 should be connected to some blue/white wire to turn the lights on with key ON, but shut them off when motorcycle starts (presumably to avoid overloading them with current. But am not sure if that applies for LED lights.
PPS - I read somewhere else to connect the pin 86 to some brown wire on headlight switch, to turn it on as a parking lamp. Again, not sure if this applies for bikes).

Thanks!
AS
Be aware that there is very little clearance on the forks, depending on the location, also be aware there is lots of vibration, this could cause premature failure.
Here is my mounting,keep in mind this is a 2015, your mount will be different, I found SW Motech to be the best and cheapest, also keep in mind the location in regards to crashing, the first thing to go may be your LED lights. Lots of guys using the crash bars for mounting, removing the plastic make sure you pay attention to the length of the bolts and locations, 07 to 14 were not consistent with size and length.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-mounting.html

Couple recommendations, look in How To under F for fuse https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/
If you are planning on locking your forks in the park position, a word of caution, you should change your tail light and city lights to LED, look under https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html
Several threads to help you, all in ://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/ one shows the routing of wiring, see post 18 , notice the red wire https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...djustment.html also see post #2 of my 2015 versys, the fuel line and fuel pump socket are identical for all years except the bung use to be plastic, I have several close up photos showing how to release the fuel pump socket and the fuel line, have a small container handy as a couple ounces of fuel will come out of the line.https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html

The simplest is to trigger a relay off the city lights, install the fuse at the fuse block , behind the seat mounting bracket. Lots of photos showing how to under the F for fuse , adding a relay etc.

Feel free to ask if there is something else you need.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-05-2018 at 09:48 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Onewizard! really appreciate it. Traveling now, hope to get to it before holidays. Will circle back here if I have more questions.
Cheers
AS
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode