Odometer's screen light reflection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Odometer's screen light reflection

Hi! Yesterday night I noticed a weird thing: the orange light of the odometer's screen, reflects the light only on the left side of the handlebar, but it doesn't on the right side. When I ride in dark street this is a little bit annoying for my eyes, so I just want to understand if it is normal or not. It seems strange that a rectangular screen just reflects only on the left side, I think that it's normal to reflects the light on both sides equally.

EDIT: see the picture, into the red circle you see the light's reflection; into the blue circle you can see no reflection at all

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by ryu10; 11-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

I've never noticed anything like that on my Gen 3 ('15 V650), over the 63,914 kms that I've ridden on it, however I must say that I TRY to avoid riding at night.
Duffy likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've never noticed anything like that on my Gen 3 ('15 V650), over the 63,914 kms that I've ridden on it, however I must say that I TRY to avoid riding at night.
Could you look at it if it happens to you to ride at night? Just to be sure that it's normal.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check again and see if the reflection is not from other source of light as its unlikely the ODO meter will reflect light to one side only-IMHO.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Check again and see if the reflection is not from other source of light as its unlikely the ODO meter will reflect light to one side only-IMHO.
I checked many times and I'm sure it's the ODO. You can see the orange light clearly in the picture, it seems strange to me too and I want to understand if my bike has some problems or if it's normal. I have a 2018 model, so this happens with the new dash from 2017 models

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu10 View Post
I checked many times and I'm sure it's the ODO. You can see the orange light clearly in the picture, it seems strange to me too and I want to understand if my bike has some problems or if it's normal. I have a 2018 model, so this happens with the new dash from 2017 models

I am not anywhere near a bike, so i will take a wild hit on this: just take a tape and mask off the edge on the right side of the ODO and see if you still get the reflection. If at all there is reflection, than its must be from the sides of the ODO panel where the plastic is thick and light may get reflected. I don't think there is anything wrong/problem with your bike.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not anywhere near a bike, so i will take a wild hit on this: just take a tape and mask off the edge on the right side of the ODO and see if you still get the reflection. If at all there is reflection, than its must be from the sides of the ODO panel where the plastic is thick and light may get reflected. I don't think there is anything wrong/problem with your bike.
Mhh, I don't understand. I mean, I can try this but I still don't understand why the reflection is only in one side. It's supposed to be to both sides. If one of you can look into it just a minute we can see if it's normal or not

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Could you look at it if it happens to you to ride at night? Just to be sure that it's normal....
Sorry - MY Gen 3 is about 1,700 miles (2,735 kms) N of where I am right now (and until April)....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Sorry - MY Gen 3 is about 1,700 miles (2,735 kms) N of where I am right now (and until April)....
I appreciate anyway I hope there is someone else in here that can do that try for me

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I appreciate anyway I hope there is someone else in here that can do that try for me

Since it is bothering you so much, lets do some work to eliminate some of the variables for the reflections;

1. you face shield , if you wear one-remove it and see if there any reflection.
2. The wind shield , this may be a source of the reflection. See if you can cover some angles to prevent refection
3. The ODO meter, cover it with some dark tint materiel and see if you still get the reflection.
4. The turn signal light - very unlikely but check it out also.
You can check all this at your garage at night with no other source of light, use only light from the bike. just cover each light source to pin point source of reflection. You cannot solve the problem when you ride, so sit with the bike at home and take some time to check things out.

Hope it helps.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since it is bothering you so much, lets do some work to eliminate some of the variables for the reflections;

1. you face shield , if you wear one-remove it and see if there any reflection.
2. The wind shield , this may be a source of the reflection. See if you can cover some angles to prevent refection
3. The ODO meter, cover it with some dark tint materiel and see if you still get the reflection.
4. The turn signal light - very unlikely but check it out also.
You can check all this at your garage at night with no other source of light, use only light from the bike. just cover each light source to pin point source of reflection. You cannot solve the problem when you ride, so sit with the bike at home and take some time to check things out.

Hope it helps.
You right, but my point is to understand why the reflection is only on the left side. That's all, I just want to understand if it's normal or not since it seems strange to me that it reflects the light only on the left side.

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Strange that you only get reflection on one side. It maybe normal , anyway none of us have ever brought up or notice the reflection. Will look up on the bike on my return home in a few days time.

My apologies , as i cant provide you with a solution.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Strange that you only get reflection on one side. It maybe normal , anyway none of us have ever brought up or notice the reflection. Will look up on the bike on my return home in a few days time.

My apologies , as i cant provide you with a solution.
thank you a lot, i just need someone that can do this test and see if the reflection onnly on one side is normal. In the meantime i saw some youtube's video with the versys during night and it seems that the reflection is only on the left side, but the quality is not great so i'm not sure.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Hi! Yesterday night I noticed a weird thing: the orange light of the odometer's screen, reflects the light only on the left side of the handlebar, but it doesn't on the right side. When I ride in dark street this is a little bit annoying for my eyes, so I just want to understand if it is normal or not. It seems strange that a rectangular screen just reflects only on the left side, I think that it's normal to reflects the light on both sides equally.

EDIT: see the picture, into the red circle you see the light's reflection; into the blue circle you can see no reflection at all

The light reflection on your left handlebar is emitted from the overhead street lamps high up on the posts from the right side. It is white and not orange light... Until you show me a photo taken in complete darkness, I have to dismiss this as a figment of your imagination. The reflective light source is definitely from up in the lamp posts. If it disturbs you, paint that part of the handlebar flat black.
Fastoman and Smiley like this.

Last edited by invader; 12-02-2018 at 11:00 AM.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The light reflection on your left handlebar is emitted from the overhead street lamps high up on the posts from the right side. It is white and not orange light... Until you show me a photo taken in complete darkness, I have to dismiss this as a figment of your imagination. The reflective light source is definitely from up in the lamp posts. If it disturbs you, paint that part of the handlebar flat black.
I will do a picture in complete darkness asap, but can you explain me from where the lights come? I don't understand well since I'm not English, sorry. Thanks in advance

P.s. The reflection's color is orange, you can see it in the picture I posted above. It really seems orange, not white

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:23 PM

I don't know where you're from or what your native language is, but perhaps Fastoman could translate my (light) post for you.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../matte-finish/

Last edited by invader; 12-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I don't know where you're from or what your native language is, but perhaps Fastoman could translate my (light) post for you.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca.../matte-finish/

Thanks for the head ups and i did inform him to check at his garage with no other source of light. Now that you mention its more likely the reflection is from the street lights. Thanks again.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
i will do a picture in complete darkness asap, but can you explain me from where the lights come? I don't understand well since i'm not english, sorry. Thanks in advance

p.s. The reflection's color is orange, you can see it in the picture i posted above. It really seems orange, not white

inviato dal mio sm-g965f utilizzando tapatalk
ryu10..please do a test without other light source and see if you get any reflection. What invader mention is that the light/refection is from the street light. If you check in darkness you might solve you problem.don't worry on the white or orange color.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
ryu10..please do a test without other light source and see if you get any reflection. What invader mention is that the light/refection is from the street light. If you check in darkness you might solve you problem.don't worry on the white or orange color.
Ok, i got it. I tried this morning in the garage with no lights and I see the reflection anyway. So it's not the street light. Could be possibile for one of you check it out and see if it's normal or not?

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Jeez, what is the worry? Photons reflect off of surfaces. For some reason due to physics and geometry you are getting light reflecting in one place but not another.

You aren't reporting your handlebars are bent, or that some of the lights on your bike don't work, or that any other part of your bike is not working or is not where it should be. Much ado about nothing. Though it does stir the pot and gets the natives agitated.
Fastoman and Smiley like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode