3Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By dddd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Opinions ? Pegs, exhaust, lights Oh my! 2015 LT

Ok, with all the black friday sales coming on and a "season" of riding (around 11k miles) just about over - I've got a small list together of the things I'd like to do my 2015 LT - but I'm hoping for some opinions -

- Foot pegs - anyone got any recommendations for something more "off road" worthy or just a tad larger ? - I've got about size 12/13 feet and I'm slowly tweaking my LT for more "adventure" (I.E - mild off pavement) travel - my bike does have the SW Motech center stand and skid plate- so I'd need pegs that work with them (the popular lowering brackets sadly do not- so I'd also like to make sure I don't get any pegs that are taller than stock)

- Exhaust - this could get pricey - but the low exhaust makes me nervous for potential water crossings- while I haven't encountered any yet with this bike- and it likely won't happen often- I'm not really seeing any options to mount that exhaust even a few inches higher- are my fears unfounded ? Is there an option out there ? I'd rather not spend the money, but would like to know if I should start saving or not.... for the record, I love how quiet this bike is.

-Lights - seeing some killer sales on LED's - my bike came with the factory Kawi aux lights which I love- is there any reason to upgrade and/or anything significantly better out there for a reasonable price that I could replace those with ? This is the first bike I've owned with aux lighting and I must say the extra lighting is amazing- especially on those days I've been caught in deer country trying to get home - - any recommendations on headlight improvement that'd be worth it as well ?

A Terry adcox seat and new (smaller) front turn signals are high on my list of things to upgrade as well, and I'm really thinking about heated grips - and I'm considering raising that front fender based on some of the advice I've seen on here..

Another ? - My bike came with the factory Kawi frame sliders which I actually really like instead of crash bars - I've noticed if they stuck out a tad more I'd be able to rest my legs on them easier in lieu of highway pegs and they'd probably also provide more protection to the upper fairings in the event of a tip - any reasons why I couldn't hack em and extend em out a bit by welding extensions ?

I love the bike, and a recent 3 days spent on a rented 650 vstrom (a 2017 no less) had me wishing I was back on my versys for all but the two-track portions of my ride - this little bike grows on me the more I ride it as it just works deceptively well for all that I ask it and fits me almost like a glove. I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking I'd totally fall for the strom, but being on the strom has me convinced I made the right choice for me with the versys - this bike is criminally underrated.

Appreciate all input and suggestions - this forum has been a wealth of knowledge and insight - I'll be checking the valves at some point over the winter which I'm sure will lead to more questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

High enough for wet ride..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
the pegs: the DR650 pegs fit. They fit in shape and in the bracket, it`s just not a 12mm hole but a 10mm. So get a 10mm bolt and nylock and voila

muffler: don't touch, unless you are willing to go into airbox and ECU mapping too. water crossing not an issue.

heated gloves warm better, warm the outside, and suck less energy from stator.

anyhow, please search the furom, there are plenty of threads for mods. most topics are covered.

Last edited by dddd; 11-26-2018 at 06:18 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like my SW-M foot pegs. (https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-m...s-1000lt-15-17)

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macombcountykarl View Post
- Foot pegs - anyone got any recommendations for something more "off road" worthy or just a tad larger ?

- Exhaust - this could get pricey - but the low exhaust makes me nervous for potential water crossings- while I haven't encountered any yet with this bike- and it likely won't happen often- I'm not really seeing any options to mount that exhaust even a few inches higher- are my fears unfounded ?
Pivot Pegz work great. The pivot action allows you to get your left toe under the shift lever easier than if it did not pivot. The stock peg is just a small square bar. The distance from the front of that bar to the shift lever is the only space available for your foot when you shift up. An off-road peg is a larger platform, so it necessarily eats up some of that space which makes it difficult to get your toe under the shift lever. The pivot action essentially negates that problem.

Here are my Pivot Pegz. Mud on the crash bars after a fall. You may want to consider crash bars that protect the lower engine if you'll be off road.

Exhaust - I think your worry is not warranted. The exhaust valves in the front of the engine are pretty high up. Even if your engine stalls during a water crossing you won't get water into the engine unless you either drop the bike on its side or the water level is above the exhaust valves. In those cases it won't matter how high your tailpipe is. When the engine is running there is plenty of pressure to keep water out of your exhaust system. I don't think there is a problem with back pressure during water crossings either. I've not done a lot of water crossings but I've never had any issues with the stock exhaust. Having said that, the muffler itself is the low point which will take hits. A good skid plate beneath it would be advisable.

Same day as above. Low speed into a pothole which looked like just a wet spot on the trail. The bike was resting on the muffler! But no damage, luckily.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Garage
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ted-grips.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I believe those are the pegs I wanted to get but I needed something within a few days and could get the Pivot Pegz fast. The SWMotech peg adjustable height is a nice option, and the rubber pad (removable) is superior to the Pivot Pegz plastic cover which has to be zip-tied on.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Garage
https://delkevic.com/complete-system...650-2015-2017/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I have these on mine. Excellent choice!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For pegs as a test I bought this set on ebay for $12. I didn't know if I would like the wider pegs and didn't want to take the chance on the $150 set.

Glad I did. They are not for me.

IF you buy these be aware you will need to drill out the holes (1/2" bit through soft metal did it with a hand drill), and the springs wont work as they should. But again I did it just as a test to a few days to see if I liked them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-F...-/253950359181
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
- Foot pegs - anyone got any recommendations for something more "off road" worthy or just a tad larger ? - I've got about size 12/13 feet and I'm slowly tweaking my LT for more "adventure" (I.E - mild off pavement) travel - my bike does have the SW Motech center stand and skid plate- so I'd need pegs that work with them (the popular lowering brackets sadly do not- so I'd also like to make sure I don't get any pegs that are taller than stock)....
Here's a pic of what I run (DR650 pegs W/ peg-lowering blocks), mounted w/ a 3/8" bolt, appropriate length.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
-Lights - seeing some killer sales on LED's - my bike came with the factory Kawi aux lights which I love- is there any reason to upgrade and/or anything significantly better out there for a reasonable price that I could replace those with ? This is the first bike I've owned with aux lighting and I must say the extra lighting is amazing- especially on those days I've been caught in deer country trying to get home - - any recommendations on headlight improvement that'd be worth it as well ?....
I put Denali DM lights on my '15.

Quote:
...A Terry adcox seat and new (smaller) front turn signals are high on my list of things to upgrade as well, and I'm really thinking about heated grips - and I'm considering raising that front fender based on some of the advice I've seen on here....
I suggest you try RAISING the front of the seat (about $2) BEFORE spending BIG on a seat. You need TWO longer 6mm bolts (45mm), 12 = 1/4" washers, and a piece of scrap steel c/w TWO holes. Raises your seat about 9/16", and I've ridden MANY OVER 10 hour days on mine!

Quote:
...Another ? - My bike came with the factory Kawi frame sliders which I actually really like instead of crash bars - I've noticed if they stuck out a tad more I'd be able to rest my legs on them easier in lieu of highway pegs and they'd probably also provide more protection to the upper fairings in the event of a tip - any reasons why I couldn't hack em and extend em out a bit by welding extensions ?...
As long as you are a VG welder!

Glenn21 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 PM

fasteddie is right on with the dr650 pegs.
I've done a whole season and they are solid and good grip.
at 25$ for these you cannot go wrong.

don't waste 200$ + on swmotech or worse... pivotpegz.
Glenn21 likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 PM

Garage
I opted to install pivoting pegs that I found on eBay. They were priced around $70 CDN, much less expensive than the genuine item. Though I have seen the genuine items on sale for $80 CDN in the past.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:24 AM

just for visuals: dr650 peg.
The spring is quite optional, if you ask me, particularly if you don't want to scratch the right side spring which is a bit tight.

Glenn21 likes this.

Last edited by dddd; 11-27-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode