V650 off-road conversion saga (for the 70+ riders please) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
V650 off-road conversion saga (for the 70+ riders please)

I have to apologize up front for obtaining all the great info from you guys (young and less young) and still being unable to make a decision. However, since my first thread (dual sport conversion)a few weeks ago, I managed to drop the V650. This was after traveling off road for ALMOST a quarter of a mile😁 Couldn't believe I was unable to lift bike (something I believe FastEddie mentioned) after trying for 30min, but it was a fact of life. Admittedly, I was attempting this before making any mods to my totally stock '12 V650, but in retrospect, was not very smart. Heading downhill on leaf covered big rocks, ruts and washouts and applying rear brake my speed actually increased to the point of YIKES! After being rescued an hour later, I immediately started looking at the Honda CRF250L Rally possibilities. Although, this would require the V trade, cash of at least 3k plus the still needed mods. With that in mind, I probably would have to get a JOB...YUK,
and then wouldn't have time to do the TAT (Trans America Trail), which is the whole point. Although the V650 seems the right bike for 90% of the TAT and the CRF for the other 10%.
Thanks for taking your time for this rant and I honestly do realize it's a first world problem. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:55 AM

I'm not past 70 but with a weak back and overweight, I too have a hard time picking it up.
I too am looking for the 250rally, but I expect the 450 rally to be out in 2020, so I will endure another year (maybe 2 if I can't find a 4-5 gal tank for it)

For the lifting, first I remove luggage then I put together a strap system to be able to force upright on my legs, giving me a lot more power.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:41 AM

One solution is to find a riding buddy, at least for the sections off pavement.

Did you have luggage attached? The rear side bags will keep the bike from getting too flat to the ground, and thus provide a good head start on lifting it.

Honestly, I have the same worry riding solo off pavement and out of cell phone range. I leave my itinerary with my adult kids, and if I don't check-in as expected they know where to come look for me.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 11-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

my best advice , if I may say so, will be to get a riding buddy for your TAT....and get the conversion done..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdsharpe View Post
...😁 Couldn't believe I was unable to lift bike (something I believe FastEddie mentioned) after trying for 30min, but it was a fact of life. Admittedly, I was attempting this before making any mods to my totally stock '12 V650, but in retrospect, was not very smart....
Try this:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...me-skills.html

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Garage
There are a lot of 'drop the bike' sections of the TAT. There are enough videos of wrecks on the TAT that would mean you really need to prepare and get in shape to complete such an arduous journey. The bike may be spent by the time you are done depending on your skill level.

I would do it on a FI KLX250S or the Rally or a Rally Raid converted Honda 500X.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
I suggest watching the vid fasteddie suggested, those guys are geniuses! Lifting your bike can be more technique than brute force. In this video the instructor demonstrates picking up a BMW 800Gs, and he may do one of the big ones too. There is another similar vid series on YouTube that demonstrates similar lifting techniques with a Super Tenere (and that's a heavy beast once it eats dirt!). Neither are big, powerful looking guys; they just use physics and good technique. After watching, get a friend to come over, lay out some cardboard or carpet, and set your bike down on it. Once down, you can practice. The V weighs less than any of the other bikes used in the vids. You may find a technique that works well for you and the bike you have. Best of luck!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
There are a lot of 'drop the bike' sections of the TAT. There are enough videos of wrecks on the TAT that would mean you really need to prepare and get in shape to complete such an arduous journey. The bike may be spent by the time you are done depending on your skill level.

I would do it on a FI KLX250S or the Rally or a Rally Raid converted Honda 500X.
ONLY guy I know who "attempted" the TAT, was riding a side-car equipped URAL that had been an "issue" when we rode to Dawson and Alaska around '05 or '06 (I was riding an '04 KLR650).... EVERY time we went thru water (OR even 'thought' the word...), it would STOP, and Joe would end up taking carbs off and 'mucking' w/ them.

Day 1 of the TAT he had another "issue", and while the carbs were off - somehow it caught fire.

For ME, the BEST pic I ever saw of it was at the bottom of a huge column of black smoke!

BTW - IF you wonder about it - URAL is a word standing for ... UnReliable Asian Lemon....
onewizard, Buffalo_Bob and Glenn21 like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Tips for Adventure Riding - BikesRepublic

Take a look at the article and may be good to downsize your ride for safety reason based on your age.

on your TAT and trust you will make the memorable ride.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks to all you guys for all the thoughts and suggestions. The plan is for the trip to commence mid April in conjunction with the Moto GP race in Austin, Tx. So I've got a little time to decide on the BIKE. However, either the V with mods or something else, I want time in the saddle before making this ride.
Whatever it is will most likely be trashed by TRIPS end, as stated by TwoWheel.
Apologize for delayed response but ivebeen out of pocket.
PS: Loved FastEddies Ural comments🤣

I'm on a whiskey diet, lost 3 days last week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode