V650 off-road conversion saga (for the 70+ riders please)
I have to apologize up front for obtaining all the great info from you guys (young and less young) and still being unable to make a decision. However, since my first thread (dual sport conversion)a few weeks ago, I managed to drop the V650. This was after traveling off road for ALMOST a quarter of a mile😁 Couldn't believe I was unable to lift bike (something I believe FastEddie mentioned) after trying for 30min, but it was a fact of life. Admittedly, I was attempting this before making any mods to my totally stock '12 V650, but in retrospect, was not very smart. Heading downhill on leaf covered big rocks, ruts and washouts and applying rear brake my speed actually increased to the point of YIKES! After being rescued an hour later, I immediately started looking at the Honda CRF250L Rally possibilities. Although, this would require the V trade, cash of at least 3k plus the still needed mods. With that in mind, I probably would have to get a JOB...YUK,
and then wouldn't have time to do the TAT (Trans America Trail), which is the whole point. Although the V650 seems the right bike for 90% of the TAT and the CRF for the other 10%.
Thanks for taking your time for this rant and I honestly do realize it's a first world problem. Thanks again.