• 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By Dirtpilot
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys 650 to Versys 650?

Hello. I recently sold my 2015 versys 650 due to the reason it doesnt have abs and some other things but i still love the v650. The thing is now i wanted to buy bike. Do you think its practical just to buy the 2019 model or just save up and upgrade to higher cc? I dont ride so much i just want to have a bike again because it feels like some part of me are missing. Peace. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Upgrading to a bike with ABS can be a practical move. Question is, what are "some of the other things" your 2015 Versys lacked that you wanted? Getting another 650 with ABS but lacking other things you desired may still bother you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtpilot View Post
Hello. I recently sold my 2015 versys 650 due to the reason it doesnt have abs and some other things but i still love the v650. The thing is now i wanted to buy bike. Do you think its practical just to buy the 2019 model or just save up and upgrade to higher cc? I dont ride so much i just want to have a bike again because it feels like some part of me are missing. Peace. Thanks
From your "handle" it sounds like you want MORE "dirt-creds". I've ridden over 155,000 miles on my V650s since I got the FIRST in Sept '08, and that includes 'some' dirt miles: rode part of the AZBDR a few years ago, some of it VERY 'GNARLY'; the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back (about 1K miles of dirt); as well as LOTS of dirt roads here, and in Canada, running SHINKO E705s, or TKC80s, or METZLER TOURANCE rubber.

But then - I'm 'slowed-down' by OLD AGE....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you don't ride much , than you need to be wise in spending $$$. Take a break and shop around and do some comparison with the new bikes in the market.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I 2nd what Fastoman stated!

You should first ask yourself how much riding you're going to do and what percentage is done off-roading/touring/street/weekend meet-up's/etc...

Then research the market. There are a lot of motorcycles that should fit your "want's" that may be better than a new Versys.

Depending on the above answers you can get, for example, a brand new Honda CB500X for about $5K, then there's the Versys 300. (Just throwing a few things out there! ) But if you're looking for something more powerful then the sky is the limit!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

The Versys 300 is half the price of the V650 (using rough numbers). Around here they go for about $4300 plus tax/title/license. Wow! Depending on how you will use the bike, there's a Versys for you. V300, V650, V1000.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Upgrading to a bike with ABS can be a practical move. Question is, what are "some of the other things" your 2015 Versys lacked that you wanted? Getting another 650 with ABS but lacking other things you desired may still bother you.
Actually i loved my versys until i got into an accident locked the rear wheel fall and slide no serious damage. Everytime i think about what happened to me that day it always comes to my mind maybe if i had an abs bike it should have saved me. I know i should improve my riding but i dont ride so much because of work. I only ride and go when free. I like the versys because its fast simple reliable affordable. If only it has abs i wont let it go.

[/QUOTE]From your "handle" it sounds like you want MORE "dirt-creds". I've ridden over 155,000 miles on my V650s since I got the FIRST in Sept '08, and that includes 'some' dirt miles: rode part of the AZBDR a few years ago, some of it VERY 'GNARLY'; the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back (about 1K miles of dirt); as well as LOTS of dirt roads here, and in Canada, running SHINKO E705s, or TKC80s, or METZLER TOURANCE rubber.

But then - I'm 'slowed-down' by OLD AGE....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG][/QUOTE]
Just got stuck with that handle dirtpilot when i was still teenager. Read a lot from your post thats why i got the versys wish i can do all that road miles i only have a lot of air miles. 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
If you don't ride much , than you need to be wise in spending $$$. Take a break and shop around and do some comparison with the new bikes in the market.:-)
Yeah trying to control myself not buying a bike yet but until now still leaning on the 2019 v650 abs and 2019 v1000se if ever if comes to our shores here in the philippines but the price omg. 😵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I 2nd what Fastoman stated!

You should first ask yourself how much riding you're going to do and what percentage is done off-roading/touring/street/weekend meet-up's/etc...

Then research the market. There are a lot of motorcycles that should fit your "want's" that may be better than a new Versys.

Depending on the above answers you can get, for example, a brand new Honda CB500X for about $5K, then there's the Versys 300. (Just throwing a few things out there! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG] ) But if you're looking for something more powerful then the sky is the limit!
Not looking for superbike power. Just touring. I think i only ride 8-12x a year atleast 1000kms or more per ride. Yeah still researching sometimes cant sleep thinking of what bike is perfect for my situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

The Versys 300 is half the price of the V650 (using rough numbers). Around here they go for about $4300 plus tax/title/license. Wow! Depending on how you will use the bike, there's a Versys for you. V300, V650, V1000.
Mostly road riding. Some highway but not so much highway here. I like the v300 also spoke wheels off road capable but 300cc is not allowed on our highways here 400cc and above only. Hopefully the new v1000 will come here with all that amnesties but i think price will be the deciding factor
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:08 AM

ABS might not have saved you. A lot of more inexperienced riders will just grab the brakes and pull in the clutch and hold on for dear life when in an emergency. Not saying you did this, but it sounds like it could have been the case.

While ABS is great (I have it on my 2018 650 and love it) like all things on a motorcycle there are a lot of stuff people tend to forget. The most important one in this case is engine braking. Using your engine to help you slow down and downshifting is a significant part of your braking. Even with ABS if you slam on the brakes, you won't slide, your tire won't lock up, but if you aren't engine braking you will still not slow down to a stop very fast.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually i loved my versys until i got into an accident locked the rear wheel fall and slide no serious damage. Everytime i think about what happened to me that day it always comes to my mind maybe if i had an abs bike it should have saved me. I know i should improve my riding but i dont ride so much because of work. I only ride and go when free. I like the versys because its fast simple reliable affordable. If only it has abs i wont let it go.
Mostly road riding. Some highway but not so much highway here. I like the v300 also spoke wheels off road capable but 300cc is not allowed on our highways here 400cc and above only. Hopefully the new v1000 will come here with all that amnesties but i think price will be the deciding factor
I am a big fan of ABS. There is really no downside for the typical rider. If you are a professional who races, or you are expert off-road, then yeah you may not want ABS in those situations.

Would ABS have saved you from crashing? Maybe, maybe not, but it is hard to come up with scenarios where it would have hurt you.

I am also a big fan of excellent tires. The additional cost is not much compared to the cost of buying and operating a vehicle. The factory tires on the V are pretty bad (at least on my 2015 they were). In the Philippines you have a lot of rain, so I would swap out the tires for something much better in the wet.

You may be able to find a motorcycle skills class. Practicing very slow maneuvering, emergency stops, and other skills will improve your confidence as well as your abilities.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinion and suggestions sirs. Still liking the v650 until now because of the price. Not so much highways here for high speed also so v650 is much practical i guess.

Any diffrence between 2018 and 2019 versys 650? Havent seen the new one yet?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the opinion and suggestions sirs. Still liking the v650 until now because of the price. Not so much highways here for high speed also so v650 is much practical i guess.

Dirtpilot - for the amount of riding that you stated you do a year, again, I would suggest looking at other models and brands. Bottom line, you enjoy riding motorcycles. Therefore, try some others out if you can.

My reasoning is from my recent (past 4 year's) experiences. I've been riding for 30 years. Started with a Ninja back in the day. Then went to the standards until I finally bought my first, brand new, cruiser. From there I was ALWAYS a cruiser guy - would NEVER go to a sports bike. And those ugly-ass ADV bikes...NOT A CHANCE!
Then I straddled a CTX700. Didn't want to but, while waiting for my VTX1800 to get a tire change, the salesman said to sit on the CTX. So I did. And it lit a fire.
Rode a CTX at AIM and loved it - nimble, light weight, extremely comfortable. It wasn't a "cruiser" but a "sport-cruiser". I bought one 3 days later! There were times when I had the cruiser feel, and other times it felt a little sport bike-ish. So I went from 1800cc's to a 700cc bike!
After a few years with the CTX I saw a V-strom for cheap. Bought it. LOVED IT!!! Remember, this is coming from someone who would have "never" bought an ADV bike!
Now I have my 2018 Versys. I also picked up a Ninja EX500 for my nephew but the more I rode the Ninja, the more I really enjoyed the handling of it!

My suggestion...try a few other bikes. You discussed your crash on your old Versys and I think that's fishing around in your head and making you somewhat hesitant. I wound up wrecking my VTX and, until I rode a lighter, more nimble bike I never would have thought I'd go smaller. Now, I've realized that for my style and comfort for riding fits better on the ADV's or standard/sportier motorcycles.

Same may be true for you.
quexpress likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
Quote:

Dirtpilot - for the amount of riding that you stated you do a year, again, I would suggest looking at other models and brands. Bottom line, you enjoy riding motorcycles. Therefore, try some others out if you can.

My reasoning is from my recent (past 4 year's) experiences. I've been riding for 30 years. Started with a Ninja back in the day. Then went to the standards until I finally bought my first, brand new, cruiser. From there I was ALWAYS a cruiser guy - would NEVER go to a sports bike. And those ugly-ass ADV bikes...NOT A CHANCE!
Then I straddled a CTX700. Didn't want to but, while waiting for my VTX1800 to get a tire change, the salesman said to sit on the CTX. So I did. And it lit a fire.
Rode a CTX at AIM and loved it - nimble, light weight, extremely comfortable. It wasn't a "cruiser" but a "sport-cruiser". I bought one 3 days later! There were times when I had the cruiser feel, and other times it felt a little sport bike-ish. So I went from 1800cc's to a 700cc bike!
After a few years with the CTX I saw a V-strom for cheap. Bought it. LOVED IT!!! Remember, this is coming from someone who would have "never" bought an ADV bike!
Now I have my 2018 Versys. I also picked up a Ninja EX500 for my nephew but the more I rode the Ninja, the more I really enjoyed the handling of it!

My suggestion...try a few other bikes. You discussed your crash on your old Versys and I think that's fishing around in your head and making you somewhat hesitant. I wound up wrecking my VTX and, until I rode a lighter, more nimble bike I never would have thought I'd go smaller. Now, I've realized that for my style and comfort for riding fits better on the ADV's or standard/sportier motorcycles.

Same may be true for you.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will try your suggestion if i have time and budget to try other bikes. 9 years ago i had a cb400 then switched to ninja650 stopped riding for 5 years then bought the versys650 on 2015 because i saw that bike one time on 2013 in thailand told myself this will be my dreambike then yes i bought it when it came to the philippines. I just dont know if im ready to try the biggies as of now i like the v1000 but practicality wise i still like the 650. Anyway i still have time to think about it since i work abroad and riding time is only once a month when i come back home. Also dont have garage for the bike so when i buy a bike it always stays outside rain or shine with outdoor covers only. But it works fine for my previous bike
Devilsfan likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
...Do you think its practical just to buy the 2019 model or just save up and upgrade to higher cc? I don't ride so much I just want to have a bike again because it feels like some part of me is missing....
As you are not tremendously experienced, my suggestion is to stick w/ what you know - a V650 w/ ABS.

I have ridden the V1000, and had a Bandit 1200S before the V650 - and I do NOT need that extra power over the 650's....

Quote:
...Still liking the v650 until now because of the price. Not so much highways here for high speed also so v650 is much practical i guess.

I can't think of too many places where you can ride even a V650 to its limits, much less a V1000.

Except for color, I believe the '18 and '19 V650s are identical, but you could PROBABLY get a 'left-over' '15 or '16 V650 w/ ABS for cheaper....

quexpress, Turk and jaaklucas like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised your country doesn't allow 300CC motorcycles - in most of the world that is considered "mid-size". Only in the USA would it be considered small. I think most states in the USA allow 150CC and above on their highways. That may not always be optimal, but I've ridden my 200CC scooter on highways here and alway felt just fine when the speed limit was 60 mph (about 100km/h) or lower. BTW, the scooter has ABS.

I test rode several Versys 300s before buying me (still new to me) used 2015 650LT with ABS. Part of me would still prefer the 300 with ABS. My biggest reason for buying the 650 was the lack of new or used 300s with ABS locally. Living in one of the dampest parts of the USA I will not ride w/o anymore, at least on pavement. To me, the 300 seemed like the much more beginner/casual rider friendly bike. It's an inch lower, almost 100 pounds lighter, has a slipper clutch, and very low gearing. Although I'm tall enough to flat-foot the 650, I still live in perpetual fear of dropping it (see previous note about damp, slimy roads) just due to a foot sliding out at a stop. I've seen enough videos of folks riding 75 mph on a 300 to know it can be done, and I'm not interested in riding faster than that.

I find the ABS brakes on the 650 to be awesome. I've done practice panic stops from about 30mph on wet roads where I've just squeezed the lever as hard as I could... the ABS kicked in and the bike came to halt in about 30 feet with no skid. Hardest part was making sure my feet were firmly on the ground when the front forks rebounded. Neighbors who ride other motorcycles were watching me do this and were pretty amazed.

Good Luck!

-dm

-dm
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
...Do you think its practical just to buy the 2019 model or just save up and upgrade to higher cc? I don't ride so much I just want to have a bike again because it feels like some part of me is missing....
As you are not tremendously experienced, my suggestion is to stick w/ what you know - a V650 w/ ABS.

I have ridden the V1000, and had a Bandit 1200S before the V650 - and I do NOT need that extra power over the 650's....

Quote:
...Still liking the v650 until now because of the price. Not so much highways here for high speed also so v650 is much practical i guess.

I can't think of too many places where you can ride even a V650 to its limits, much less a V1000.

Except for color, I believe the '18 and '19 V650s are identical, but you could PROBABLY get a 'left-over' '15 or '16 V650 w/ ABS for cheaper....

<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/goodluck.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Good Luck" >:-)</a>
Yeah your right. Practicality wise v650 is the best. Looking now at a used 2018 3000kms for 7000$ equivalent in our money. But this 2019 v1000 looks nice also but im just dreaming.haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmccrohan View Post
I'm surprised your country doesn't allow 300CC motorcycles - in most of the world that is considered "mid-size". Only in the USA would it be considered small. I think most states in the USA allow 150CC and above on their highways. That may not always be optimal, but I've ridden my 200CC scooter on highways here and alway felt just fine when the speed limit was 60 mph (about 100km/h) or lower. BTW, the scooter has ABS.

I test rode several Versys 300s before buying me (still new to me) used 2015 650LT with ABS. Part of me would still prefer the 300 with ABS. My biggest reason for buying the 650 was the lack of new or used 300s with ABS locally. Living in one of the dampest parts of the USA I will not ride w/o anymore, at least on pavement. To me, the 300 seemed like the much more beginner/casual rider friendly bike. It's an inch lower, almost 100 pounds lighter, has a slipper clutch, and very low gearing. Although I'm tall enough to flat-foot the 650, I still live in perpetual fear of dropping it (see previous note about damp, slimy roads) just due to a foot sliding out at a stop. I've seen enough videos of folks riding 75 mph on a 300 to know it can be done, and I'm not interested in riding faster than that.

I find the ABS brakes on the 650 to be awesome. I've done practice panic stops from about 30mph on wet roads where I've just squeezed the lever as hard as I could... the ABS kicked in and the bike came to halt in about 30 feet with no skid. Hardest part was making sure my feet were firmly on the ground when the front forks rebounded. Neighbors who ride other motorcycles were watching me do this and were pretty amazed.

Good Luck!

-dm
yeah here im my country they prohibit 400cc below motorcycles to use the expressway. Thats why when i started riding i bough a cb400 then jump to 650 after 6 months. I liked the v300 but yeah i have to use the service roads and the traffic here sucks. I’d like to practice that also when i get a hold of the new bike with abs.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 AM

For day to day use I would go for the 650.

I use mine all year to commute to work.

But If money wasen't a problem and the motorcycle was for fun not mainly for pacticality I would go for the New 1000 cc. Cruise control is major for long dintance riding.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
For day to day use I would go for the 650.

I use mine all year to commute to work.

But If money wasen't a problem and the motorcycle was for fun not mainly for pacticality I would go for the New 1000 cc. Cruise control is major for long dintance riding.

Rostra cruise fit just fine on my '15, though it is a project to install.

Quexpress did up a nice thread on the install.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Rostra cruise fit just fine on my '15, though it is a project to install.

Quexpress did up a nice thread on the install.
If you could afford and have it come with the bike would'tyou rather go that route.? Besides the extra power of the bigger engine would be fun and good for touring.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoMt View Post
If you could afford and have it come with the bike would'tyou rather go that route.? Besides the extra power of the bigger engine would be fun and good for touring.

There is no doubt that the extra power would be more fun but I'm having problems with short rear tire life as it is. I usta get about 10-12,000 miles on my C-10 Connie. The best I've gotten with the 650 is 6500 miles on an Angel GT. BS 023 were toast at 4-4.5k miles. Shinko 705 tires lasted about 3.5k miles. Yes, I ride fun.

And while I have the funds to get the 1000 I chose the 650 for lighter weight, fuel range, and smaller size. And performance wise, the 650 is only about a half second slower than the C-10 Connie in the quarter mile.

A friend of mine, on this forum as Steve in Sunny Florida, has a new 1000 V the he keeps trying to get me to take it for a spin. He says I'd really like it. That's mostly why I haven't ridden it yet.

Unsure, though, on my next bike. I was leaning toward the Tracer GT but have cooled on that. But I am happy with this 650 and will likely be keeping it while. Maybe even go for 200,000 miles on it. I had 234k miles on my C-10 when I sold it. The next owner crashed it after it rolled over a quarter million miles. And that bike still ran crazy good and never had the cyl head off and it never left me stranded on the side of the road.
quexpress likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 01-14-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was under the impression all Versys from 2014 forward came equipped with ABS. At least those sold in the US and Canada did.

Kawasaki upgraded the ABS in 2015 to a newer version from the 2014 model.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-14-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode