THIS is what needs to happen to the Versys!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
THIS is what needs to happen to the Versys!!

https://www.facebook.com/advpulse/ph...type=3&theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 PM

I like those! The CB500X is actually next on my list. I have a used Ninja 500 that I've grown to like as it's lightweight and a great bike for just getting around town. But it's old and that Honda has grabbed my attention.

They look like fun bikes and I know Honda's are great motorcycles.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM

I could see a 19 inch front on a wire wheel Versys. It would ruin the V650 to do a 19 inch alloy wheel, the V650 is known for its incredibly light and flickable steering due to the 17 inch front. Go ride a V-Strom sometime and notice how much slower the steering response is.
jaaklucas likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 AM

Garage
I already have a 19" front wire wheel thanks. I also have a V-Strom, and you are correct in that it has a heavier feel at the bars, but perhaps that could be a rake/trail thing.
You really do not want a quick steering bike when traveling on rough or unsealed roads. I've even seen a Harley do quite well on dirt roads.

Devilsfan likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Garage
The 700X felt anemic compared to the '11 Versys 650. IMO, Honda makes great commuters. I ride bikes because I want to, not because I want to save money or filter through traffic.

Hopefully Kawasaki comes out with a 400cc based VersysX next year. That may scratch my itch for something that will allow me to go on some roads I wouldn't go on with my current bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM

The trick really is to have a bike light enough for off road but heavy enough for the highway ride getting to the dirt. A V-400 might just be that sweet spot. Were money no object and if I had a 2 car garage, I'd certainly already have a V-300 to cover all the bases.
Brockie and Tcruarceri like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 AM

it would also ruin the versys 650 if they were to put a stupidly huge large pipe on the side like that.
I love the current dissimulated exhaust; don't touch it.
Smiley and jaaklucas like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 PM

One of the reasons I bought the Versys was because of the alloy wheels vice spokes......spokes are a PITA to clean and they tend to "loosen" under heavy use. The Versys has adequate suspension travel for most mild off asphalt use. I like the steering with the 17" front wheel so that is not an issue for me.......if I had wanted a die-hard off road bike I would have bought one. I just wanted a bike that was comfortable to ride on gravel tracks and forest service roads.
Smiley, dddd, SteveJ and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 AM

I know many Versys riders want more adventure in their bikes but I bought the Versys because of it's road bias. I like the alloy 17" wheels, the underslung exhaust. Personally I'd rather have the Versys go in the other direction, maybe a half inch lower, centerstand, belt/shaft drive and maybe just a few more horses in the motor.
turn8a and jaaklucas like this.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I know many Versys riders want more adventure in their bikes but I bought the Versys because of it's road bias. I like the alloy 17" wheels, the underslung exhaust. Personally I'd rather have the Versys go in the other direction, maybe a half inch lower, centerstand, belt/shaft drive and maybe just a few more horses in the motor.
Agreed! Could get 3 out of 4 below.

Lowering- Speedy's kit
Centerstand- multiple choice
Belt/shaft drive- nope
More horses (and much more drivability benefits!)- Shoodaben ECU flash
jaaklucas and Tcruarceri like this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Agreed! Could get 3 out of 4 below.

Lowering- Speedy's kit
Centerstand- multiple choice
Belt/shaft drive- nope
More horses (and much more drivability benefits!)- Shoodaben ECU flash
Yea, I know about those mods but I'm not a big fan of lowering kits. I've purchased a bike with one and it messed up the handling and one of the attributes I really like about the Versys is the handling. I've read up on the centerstands too, they all seem to have possible issues with chain interference so I've stayed away.

I've been thinking about the ECU flash for some time. That's a possibility.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yea, I know about those mods but I'm not a big fan of lowering kits. I've purchased a bike with one and it messed up the handling and one of the attributes I really like about the Versys is the handling. I've read up on the centerstands too, they all seem to have possible issues with chain interference so I've stayed away.

I'm really picky about changes to my bike, so for what it's worth:

I've got the Shoodaben Mountain Runner ECU flash and it's the best thing I've done for the bike. Drastically changes the character of the power output for the better.

I also have installed the Motowerk (Speedy's) lowering kit and have noticed absolutely no adverse handling effects. You must follow the instructions carefully and lower the front end as well.
onewizard, jaaklucas and Randyjaco like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I'm really picky about changes to my bike, so for what it's worth:

I've got the Shoodaben Mountain Runner ECU flash and it's the best thing I've done for the bike. Drastically changes the character of the power output for the better.

I also have installed the Motowerk (Speedy's) lowering kit and have noticed absolutely no adverse handling effects. You must follow the instructions carefully and lower the front end as well.
Good to hear about the ECU flash. How about your mpg afterwards? I like the range I get on my Versys, I would hate if that were altered.

I doubt I will do a lowering kit, I can get my feet down mostly and have no issue swinging my leg over the LT with the bags on I just think there is no purpose for the tallish nature of the bike so thought I would put that on my list of wishful updates.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:18 PM

Haven't checked mileage yet. Still feeling the bike out on roads the roads that I prefer, especially the roads in the foothills of the Sierra. I don't commute and longer trips right now are not on my horizon as we are in our rainy season in Northern CA. which is day or two of rain, a day or two of fog or wind, followed by a day or two of nice weather. I'll spend some more time on the bike after the holidays. Weather permitting (rain or windy) we can ride pretty much all year.
Turk likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:

I installed the Hepco Becker center stand. Left stock, there is very little wiggle room on the chain slack. As a believer in having the slack to the looser side($800 mistake on a too tight chain on my KLR), this was not acceptable.

So out came the pneumatic angle grinder. I removed some of the CS frame where the chain interfered. I ground it at a 45* angle. The CS frame is quite over engineered so no worries there. I have about 40k miles on it and there are no issues on that.

The stand works a treat.

For me, the belt drive is a no-go as you really can't do dirt roads safely with it. Now shaft? sign me up. I would gladly carry the extra weight around to not have to deal with a chain. The stock gearing works well for me so changing the ratio is not on my radar as it seems to cruise at 85-90 mph(out west) just fine.

Quote:
Good to hear about the ECU flash. How about your mpg afterwards? I like the range I get on my Versys, I would hate if that were altered.
I have about a thousand miles on the flash. No discernible difference in mpg. A huge difference in "ride-ability", especially in the lower to mid rpm range. Enough of a difference that I won't be replacing the V anytime soon.
onewizard, Turk and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...I have about a thousand miles on the flash. No discernible difference in mpg. A huge difference in "ride-ability", especially in the lower to mid rpm range. Enough of a difference that I won't be replacing the V anytime soon.
You gonna let ME try it when you visit, Steve...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You gonna let ME try it when you visit, Steve...?

Absolutely. I'd already figured on that.
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
it would also ruin the versys 650 if they were to put a stupidly huge large pipe on the side like that.
I love the current dissimulated exhaust; don't touch it.
But you risk damaging the muffler off-roading unless completely protected by a bash plate.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
I was really hoping for a 650x at the Milan show this year. Now the closest thing that Team Green has to replacing the KLR is the Versys 300x. I really want a little more horsepower for slab riding than the 39 horses on the 300x. I love my 650 but to make it an x for the adventure market would require IMO a massive redesign to achieve a lower weight, longer suspension travel, and higher ground clearance. Without that it will be behind many of the other offerings on the market. For example:

KTM 790 Adventure is claiming 417lbs dry so you add 40lbs in fluids and you are at 457lbs. It has 95 hp.

Versys 650 in present state is 454lbs (comparable) and much less hp and longer suspension would add more weight.

I have not ridden the 300x but I don't think that the 19" front would give me that much more confidence off road however the lower weight may.

How did they shave 68lbs on the 300x? It can't all be engine weight.

Last edited by Heavyhiking; 12-18-2018 at 04:41 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyhiking View Post
I was really hoping for a 650x at the Milan show this year...
the heck with Milan, the 2019 Versys 650 will be introduced soon in the USA

16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode