Sliders or crash bars? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Sliders or crash bars?

Ok, so I've been pretty happy with the 15 Versys 650LT I bought a month ago. EXCEPT I've managed to drop it (twice!) while maneuvering it around the house. Yup, I'm something of a middle-aged klutz, but as I wrote earlier I've got a fairly difficult parking/storage situation, with the bike being stored behind the house, involving riding or pushing it up a fairly steep narrow gravel pathway to get around the house. So far, the LT's hand guards and saddle bags have taken all the damage - just a few nicks & scrapes. I did notice that the turn signals were also making ground contact and flexed a fair amount, but are still working.

So now I'm wondering whether it makes sense to put crash bars or frame sliders on it, mainly to keep the turn signals away from harm's reach. But it is not clear to me where these would mount, and if they would even stick out enough to become the first ground contact points in a tip-over.

Yeah, we should move, but I'm not getting any where with the wife on that one. And I'm not going to suddenly get 30 years younger... so in the meantime, any other thoughts/suggestions?

-dm

-dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Garage
Given the choice between either sliders or crash bars, I vote yes.

Here's my solution to the turn signal problem... I mean, when I get around to it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

A crash Bar will be better as it has a better coverage area than a frame slider. A bike that is going down and sliding has got no straight line projection of travel. it may tumble, flip etc so a frame crush bar is a better choice.

If you just want to protect your turn signal only, than the above is a good choice.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 PM

On my hit and run I had sliders, the did a good job and protected the engine, but still ended up needing to replace plastics.
Bars would have probably saved me a few hundred bucks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM

For the fairing to survive a tip over getting broken by the turn signals , you can remove the metal retaining clip inside the fairing. The rubber grommet will easily keep it in place.

The pieces to remove-

quexpress and jaaklucas like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
Crash bars for low-speed tip-overs, sliders are more for high speed offs.

"I've got a fairly difficult parking/storage situation, with the bike being stored behind the house, involving riding or pushing it up a fairly steep narrow gravel pathway to get around the house."

Although I do not know your exact housing situation or even where you live I would suggest that you need to reappraise your bike parking so as not to need to push/ride up a steep gravel path. Plain corrugated garden sheds are relatively inexpensive. Or build a lean-to. Depending on your security needs.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:53 AM

I know I saw crashbars that have sliders on them too.
So, both is possible, but crashbar first (it better looking anyway, if you like adv look).
I'm on 2015 v650, I got hepco becker ones, compatible with motowerks highway pegs (with some bolts length replacement only).

---

Turn signals, avoid the flushmount chineese crap. you can find some decent models on this forums, about 2" long.

my previous post:
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1583085
the those I got
https://www.admsport.com/moto/cligno...l-arrow-288102

There is a need for turn signal electronic relay and connector cable adapter, and fairing plates adaptor too. it's simple to setup but all 3 quite annoying to fetch, that's all.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Hah, yeah I've done the 0 mph tip over a couple of times. Once in my garage just moving the bike around. Both times the turn signal hit the ground and broke the fairing. The luggage was not mounted either time. I keep the luggage mounted most of the time just to make it easier to pick the bike up if it goes down.

Anyhow, I replaced the turn signals with R&G micro LED signals. They don't stick out as far, so they won't hit the ground in any kind of fall. Here's a link to my installation of them. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...n-signals.html It isn't a difficult job. R&G now also sells an adapter plate for a cheap price, so I would get that rather than make my own today.

Crash bars typically don't protect the front turn signals, because the signals stick out too far. They break the line between the end of the handlebars and the folded up footpeg. Anything that crosses that plane will hit the ground in a tip over.

There are 2 versions of crash bars. Most only wrap the upper plastics. A few designs protect the lower engine as well as the upper areas. I opted for protecting the lower engine because I sometimes go off road. I don't want the engine casing damaged by an uneven rock surface if I drop the bike.

Sliders will not protect the factory front turn signals, and neither will crash bars. Frame sliders should protect the main parts of the engine area if you slide or drop on a smooth surface. If you drop the bike on a softer surface like grass, the sliders may not really do much at all for you. Crash bars would do a better job, though I've gone down in mushy grass and the whole side of the bike was muddy. But nothing broke off, so the bars did help probably.

From what you've described, I would just replace the front turn signals with a micro sized LED set. The LED are really bright. You'll need a cheap adapter that plugs into the harness to convert to the LED so the flash rate doesn't change. Read my link above, it is super simple and cheap.

Sliders or crash bars would provide protection if you go down above idle speed. That's a different mission than protecting the turn signals and the expensive plastic they are mounted to. Now we'd be considering how good is your insurance, how do you like the appearance of crash bars, etc.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 11-15-2018 at 09:47 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Garage
While on the subject of insurance, my geico policy comprehensive coverage has a $50 deductible. The difference in cost between $50 and $500 is negligible.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Crash bars for low-speed tip-overs, sliders are more for high speed offs....
The MOTORCYCLIST videos compared the two in a video. My recollection is that sometimes 'sliders' dig-in, causing the bike to flip.

My choice is crash-bars (and I once slid a ways on the left side after a 20 to 30 mph low-side).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode