5Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By dddd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Always hot power outlet?

The factory way of installing a cigarette lighter power outlet is to put it on a relay, so it is cold when the bike is turned off. But I want to have a hot outlet all the time for charging a phone in the campground. Has anybody wired one up hot like this? If so, where did you tap for power? '15 V650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:26 PM

Garage
I have a couple of these leads on the bike connected straight to the battery....SAE 24" Battery Lead - Powerlet Products

Then when i need to charge something i just connect one of these to it i have both of these...SAE To Cigarette Socket 6" Cable - Powerlet Products
aboyandhisversys likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a battery tender cable to the battery but it is tucked under the seat. Its no big deal to pull the seat off but it would be nice not to have to do it when all my camping gear is strapped on.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:06 PM

Red face Powerlet outlet

I have installed a fused Powerlet outlet on the left side of my bike. It is connected directly to the battey and is used for my heated gear, for the battery charger and also for a 12-volt air compressor.

Note: It could be used for anything that has a male Powerlet connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerlet001.jpg (68.6 KB, 23 views)
jaaklucas likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Yeah I have a battery tender cable to the battery but it is tucked under the seat. Its no big deal to pull the seat off but it would be nice not to have to do it when all my camping gear is strapped on.

Had one behind the headlight to connect my camera to......

IMG_1479 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

On the FJR and Versys 650 i had a lead zipped-tied to the cables close to the steering column......On the Versys 1000 i had one on each side of the bike connected to the trellis under the seat...

P1010526 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010525 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hot 20 Amp '/ Compressor /Charger

Just below and to the left of the seat key , wire tied to the frame in a cross pattern, fuse is by the Innovv K1 camera
I have better photos somewhere, this is my fused outlet directly off the battery, can run my compressor and I plug in a lighter adapter with my motorcycle charger attached during the winter, saves removing the seat. I also have some cheap LED lights on a 10 foot cord , with a lighter plug, so I can have light without a key in the ignition.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-10-2018 at 07:36 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:00 AM

It's one thing to bring the 12v closer with sae or socket.

But don't leave a usb adapter charger plugged in when not used... These things will drain battery even when nothing plugged. The last two I tested leaked 5 mA and 20mA. Just a word of caution.
Fastoman and quexpress like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

But don't leave a usb adapter charger plugged in when not used... These things will drain battery even when nothing plugged. The last two I tested leaked 5 mA and 20mA. Just a word of caution.
Yeah, I went around and around in my head about whether to install a USB outlet in the dashboard, but decided not to precisely because of it using power all the time. If I put it on the relay it wouldn't be hot unless the bike was running, but I don't really have a use for USB power while riding. I don't run GPS or telephone or music while riding.

So then I came to the conclusion an old fashioned cigarette lighter outlet in the dash is the answer. It burns no power when nothing is plugged in. All I need is a suitable hot power source to tap off of, if there is one under the forward cowling somewhere.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Many use a inverter then regulator, so inverter runs , load or no load.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The factory way of installing a cigarette lighter power outlet is to put it on a relay, so it is cold when the bike is turned off. But I want to have a hot outlet all the time for charging a phone in the campground. Has anybody wired one up hot like this? If so, where did you tap for power? '15 V650.
I did this always hot install just like you describe. The location for the jack (see the link for pics) is a perfect spot to avoid interference with the hand guards. I had to change the battery tender Jr plug to the kind of plug that works with the new 12v outlet.

Originally I had the battery tender jack connected to the battery with the pig tail hanging out under the seat. I eliminated this and now just use the 12v power outlet up front for the battery tender duty as well as a power supply for my smart phone.

The cycle gear power plug comes with a cable that is plenty long to go from the front cowling along the frame and connect directly to the battery. It is best to remove body work and the gas tank for a clean install. Good luck.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-century.html

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 11-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Add New Circuit

Quote:
Yeah, I went around and around in my head about whether to install a USB outlet in the dashboard, but decided not to precisely because of it using power all the time. If I put it on the relay it wouldn't be hot unless the bike was running, but I don't really have a use for USB power while riding. I don't run GPS or telephone or music while riding.

So then I came to the conclusion an old fashioned cigarette lighter outlet in the dash is the answer. It burns no power when nothing is plugged in. All I need is a suitable hot power source to tap off of, if there is one under the forward cowling somewhere.
My advice is to add a new circuit, only live wire is going to the key switch, I would never cut into a circuit like this to save 2 ft of wire. Put the fuse under the seat and run both hot and ground on the right side. You will need to remove plastic, the simpler solution is to place the outlet as shown on my bike.I also have two more outlets, one below the faring on the left side and one in the dash, both keyed / relay driven. The one in the dash I use a lighter style USB adapter to charge my phone or GoPro batteries, the one under the fairing I use for my GPS, hooked up all the time, keying on turns on the GPS.
One advantage of my side outlet, if you decided to charge your phone, you could easily plug in the cord and stash the phone under the seat and lock it there.
All JPEG format but viewable https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...30-post63.html

Last edited by onewizard; 11-12-2018 at 04:09 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM

I run an SAE two pin conductor direct from the battery, through a 20 amp fuse. This is zip tied(yes, I own a KLR) to the trellis frame. I use it for air compressor, mattress blower and for a cable going to my tank bag where it is adapted over to two cig lighter power outlets. It works for me.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...But don't leave a usb adapter charger plugged in when not used... These things will drain battery even when nothing plugged. The last two I tested leaked 5 mA and 20mA. Just a word of caution.
I am personally against having a 12v receptacle that's "HOT" always, as some jerk-off could stick something into it, and....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Lots of excellent ideas, none of which is installing an outlet in the factory dashboard location. Fascinating!

The simplest solution seems to be to reinstall the battery tender cable to the battery connectors, piggy-backed on top of the coax wiring for heated gear and zip-tied somewhere externally accessible without removing the seat. I have an SAE USB outlet which fits that cable already.

I'd had the cable tucked under the seat to keep water away from it. But nobody has problems with theirs being exposed, so I'll stop worrying about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode