New Tires, a few surprises - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By andyversystheworld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New Tires, a few surprises

Greetings!
New Pilot Road 5's on my 650LT. Nice difference. Front axle retaining bolt and front axle in slightly more than hand tight! I bought the bike new...yikes! Me thinks the mechanic assembling the bike must have taken his lunch break and came back to it. I tightened the front brake calipers to the correct 25 Ft. pounds, which seems like a lot. Everything is back nice and dandy. Thanks to forum I had a step by step check list to go by.
mrvwbug and Jay_Chicago like this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Andy - we had reports of caliper bolts falling off a few years back, so I ALWAYS check them w/ a torque-wrench, among other things.

GLAD you 'checked' your bike!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
I would think bolts falling off would be due to lack of Loctite application.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 PM

I had the opposite problem, I had the dealer do the first front tire change on the bike and they stripped a caliper bolt. I also second the notion of applying blue loctite to most bolts on the bike, the V650 isn't the worlds smoothest bike and things can loosen up (not as bad as a Harley, but I've definitely had bolts vibrate loose, thankfully nothing critical).

You will love the Road 5s, I have them and they are nothing short of amazing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM

How do the Road 5's do on dirt? They rate very highly for wet conditions - does that translate over to dirt roads too?

Currently I run Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, a 90/10 road/trail tire which have been excellent but seem to wear quickly. Next spring I'll be looking to replace them. There's plenty of opportunity here to get onto dirt roads, sometimes fairly unimproved. Plus commuting and touring.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
How do the Road 5's do on dirt? They rate very highly for wet conditions - does that translate over to dirt roads too?
The Michelin Pilot series of tires are 100% street. They wouldn't be good for dirt or gravel roads.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
I also second the notion of applying blue Loctite to most bolts on the bike, the V650 isn't the worlds smoothest bike and things can loosen up (not as bad as a Harley, but I've definitely had bolts vibrate loose, thankfully nothing critical).
I only use Loctite on the bolts specified in the workshop manual. I have never had properly torqued fasteners loosen on my Mk1 V.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
I would think bolts falling off would be due to lack of Loctite application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I only use Loctite on the bolts specified in the workshop manual. I have never had properly torqued fasteners loosen on my Mk1 V.
I'm w/ Smiley on this - I use 'Loctite' on things like fairing bolts which get removed/replaced OFTEN, but NOT tightened w/ a torque-wrench, and VERY SELDOM on anything that I'll use a torque-wrench to tighten. (This over about 155,000 MILES on three V650s, an '08, '09 and '15.)

And VERY FEW bolts have ever fallen off my Vs.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Well, Loctite or proper torque value, it makes no difference. As long as it's properly done is what I'm saying.
In other words, "feeling it by hand" just doesn't cut it, it needs to be done with an adequate torque wrench.
That goes for all shoddy mechanics who think they're God's gift to the motorcycling world.

Setup Progress ----------- 83%
Add a custom signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode