Spark Arrestor - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By asphaltaddict33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Spark Arrestor

Does anyone know if the '15 has a spark arrestor ? The USFS and BLM folks kinda like it if you use one, at least they really don't like it if you don't have one.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Does anyone know if the '15 has a spark arrestor ? The USFS and BLM folks kinda like it if you use one, at least they really don't like it if you don't have one.
I did a quick search, what I found relates to the catalytic converter, the topic was USFS spark arrester, they discussed the fact that a catalytic converter runs hot enough to start vegetation on fire if it comes in contact, so that means it would need to be shielded. in the discussion it was referenced to a GS which apparently has a sticker on it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 AM

Garage
Last I heard, catalytic converters were considered to be adequate spark arresters, but heat was a problem.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 AM

A great question to consider with all of the fires out west this summer. The best way to get an answer would be to contact your local USFS or BLM Ranger station, or one near where you plan to explore. The local Rangers are going to be the ones that determine if you get ticketed while encountering them on a trail, so their attitude is the most relevant IMO. I have had good experiences with BLM folk, and none with USFS. The poor USFS budget is too small to staff enough patrol rangers around here!

With a stock exhaust I wouldnt worry about sparking a fire via the exhaust, but would take care not to park in tall grass that would contact the CC/muffler chamber under the engine. We have all seen low slung cars set green grass on fire via the YouTubes so its a real concern.

Spark arrestor or no, you DO NOT want to take a chance on starting a fire on federal land. If that happens, and you are identified as the ignitor, you get to supply the funds needs to contain the fire! A dunce-worthy young couple decided to fire tracer rounds at a closed shooting range earlier this summer near me, and they started a 12,500 acre fire that the state says cost $13M to contain..... not anything I want to be considered to be on the hook for, or charged with arson for as those kids are currently facing (Lake Christine Fire, CO)

For me, I decide based on current conditions, if its a tinder box out there ill for sure only take a spark-arrested bike off-road or even dirt county roads. Glad to see this discussion here, asking the question and being concerned in the first place is half the battle!
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quick search

No KLE650 found, don't be put off by the first page, this was updated 2012/
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/f...ts/2012_GP.pdf
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info. There is an USFS near me that I'll swing by in a coupla weeks to check it out for sure(?).

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode