Dual sport conversion - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:43 AM

Garage
also... Ninja wheels fit (rotors may differ) I have 2 sets of wheels, one rigged with TKCs

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdsharpe View Post
Not familiar with a 15/70 rear tire, but did you mean 150/70? Has anyone ever tried trials tires?
OOPS! Yes, I have now corrected the original post to read "150/70".

I HAVE run "full-knobbies", and got pretty good mileage from them running 36psiF and 42psiR.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-13-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I HAVE run "full-knobbies", and got pretty good mileage from them running 36psiF and 42psiR.
we want numbers!!! LOL

That's surprising, because my latest 6 knobbies had max pressure 35 psi. Well, I have only seen k60, k43 (both bad as it gets), tkc80 front only, anakee wild, shinko 805 (both very good).

I'm glad I lowered it from my regular 39 psi rear: letting the sides take a bit of the weight helped the center last longer. I now run 35psiR anakee wild/34psiF tkc80. I've done 10000 km and I estimate rear will be done at 11000km.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
we want numbers!!! LOL

That's surprising, because my latest 6 knobbies had max pressure 35 psi. Well, I have only seen k60, k43 (both bad as it gets), tkc80 front only, anakee wild, shinko 805 (both very good).

I'm glad I lowered it from my regular 39 psi rear: letting the sides take a bit of the weight helped the center last longer. I now run 35psiR anakee wild/34psiF tkc80. I've done 10000 km and I estimate rear will be done at 11000km.
To reiterate - I always run 36F, 42R, NEVER "air-down", and here are the NUMBERS for BIG RED in AZ:
TKC80 120/70......................8,467 MILES: and
Kenda BIG BLOCK 150/70......9,750 MILES.

I also ran a TKC80 150/70 rear (front was a Shinko E705) on the GREEN HORNET TOO, from Anchorage, AK. The "numbers" for that are in BC, but I seem to remember they were consistent w/ the AZ ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '15 V TKC80rear.jpg (284.9 KB, 10 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
I have "aired down" a few times on greasy roads and the difference is noticeable, but you have to go down far enough. Dempster, Dalton, Taylor... all those can get a slurry of chloride and in heavy rain that crap is like riding on grease. much easier to ride dropped to 18-20 psi and slowed down. no faster than about 25-30 mph on roads I have done 70 on when dry. the other choice is sit until it drys some

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Is that a fabricated front fender heightening bracket or is someone selling them?

@[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="6"]:goodidea:[QUOTE][B][I][CENTER][CODE][HTML][PHP][YT][YTHQ][YTHD][EBAY][MAP][/MAP][/EBAY][/YTHD][/YTHQ][/YT][/PHP][/HTML][/CODE][/CENTER][/I][/B][/QUOTE][/SIZE][/FONT];

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

MY concern w/ "airing-down" is that you are then more likely to 'bend' a rim when you hit rocks.

"jdrocks" runs the same pressures as I do, and he TOO does NOT air-down.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
airing down has it's place. like I said in post 25, it makes a big difference... like staying on the road or not, that kind of difference. somewhere I have pictures to prove it. the times I've done it on my Versys (and GSs), roads were extremely slippery, and speed was reduce to 20-25 mph and even that being sketchey (this is a road I can do 70-75 on when dry and not think twice). not likely to bend a rim under those circumstances. you may never need to do it, but don't be afraid of it either. obviously, use common sense as well. I used to do it a lot on my KLRs, they simply work better off road with lower pressures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode