New Front Tyre - 120/90-17 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Front Tyre - 120/90-17

G'day everyone,

I had a Mitas E-09 Dakar 120/90 tyre fitted to the front of my V today. It looks tough and ready to go anywhere.

http://www.motorcycletyres.net.au/ty...ari/index.html

Before fitting the tyre, I knew it was going to slow the steering, and it certainly has. But, I'm not sure what's had the greater effect on steering, the heavier tyre or the fact that because it's almost 2" taller has it increased the rake angle too much?

So, I have a question of those who have gone with this tyre size at the front. Have you experimented with pushing the forks up through the triple clamps more to get the rake angle closer to stock?

I'm going to give it a go, but I thought I'd ask if anyone's tried it before and had success.

Cheers,
Glenn

Motorcycles...the only true freedom man has left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 AM

No worries there if you don't pull too much through, but you will have less head shake and more stability if you leave it... Your not doing single line enduro are you?. If you are Bloody well come get me too.. I'll take some photo's for this lot..

Maybe try it where you really like to take it off-road the most before getting too carried away with your worries. You can always make a trail side adjustment with the help of a mate in 5 minutes if you want to do comparision runs too.. but with the weight of the bike in relation to what your trying to achieve I think you might appreciate it left alone..

Raising the front guard will save you some pain down the track or trails too if you run a knobbie front tire..

Get your suspension sorted is best and first advice on any bike, it is really not at all off-road oriented for Adventure riding. That will be your best investment by far... If the bumps are sorted then it will be lovely anywhere and safer, faster and tens times the fun too... Teknic are great but you can do a bit yourself to save some coin too..

What tire you running on the rear?

Last edited by crow; 01-08-2013 at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Crow,

I've almost got the suspension as good as it can be with the factory gear. If I keep the bike (I'm tempted by the Tiger 800XC and the 2014 V-Strom 1000 looks interesting) I'll be investing in some spoked wheels and new suspension better equipped for my requirements.

As for the front fender, I have no issues! I took mine off and am running an aftermarket high mount super motard fender. See pics in this thread...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=Adventure

Rear tyre is currently an Anakee 2, but it looks rather meek in the company of my new front knobbie. Once the Anakee is gone, I'll replace it with one of these Mitas E-09 Dakar knobbies.

As for my original post and subsequent question re steering geometry, I think I will persevere with the new handling characteristics for a while. I just came back from a 50km blat around town and am slowly getting used to it. Funnily enough, the faster I went into and out of corners, the better the new knobbie felt!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I installed my 130/80 Tourance on the front I was REALLY concerned about how 'heavy' the steering felt compared to with a 120/70. But, after about 100 miles I was used to it, and now I don't even notice it, with forks still at stock height.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I installed my 130/80 Tourance on the front I was REALLY concerned about how 'heavy' the steering felt compared to with a 120/70. But, after about 100 miles I was used to it, and now I don't even notice it, with forks still at stock height.
Did you find with the 130/80 that the bike felt like it wanted to fall into corners midway through the corner?

Mine does, and it's easily controllable by either going faster or literally turning the bars into the corner....which is a new feeling for me as I normally counter steer into and through corners and now I'm doing the opposite (or counter steering the opposite way).

I am getting used to it, and gaining more confidence in it, after only 40-50km.

I'm yet to test the knobbie offroad.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
Crow,

I've almost got the suspension as good as it can be with the factory gear. If I keep the bike (I'm tempted by the Tiger 800XC and the 2014 V-Strom 1000 looks interesting) I'll be investing in some spoked wheels and new suspension better equipped for my requirements.

As for the front fender, I have no issues! I took mine off and am running an aftermarket high mount super motard fender. See pics in this thread...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=Adventure
yeah that's neat.. I like those fork protectors too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
Did you find with the 130/80 that the bike felt like it wanted to fall into corners midway through the corner?....I'm yet to test the knobbie offroad.
Yes it DID, but I don't even notice it since that first 100 miles or so....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

You are right, fasteddie, Ive now done about 600km on the new front tyre and it all feels normal to me now!

Furthermore, for a knobby it sticks very well on dry bitumen. And, even with a rear tyre profile, I can still get some decent lean angles in the twisties!

I thought that going to a full on knobby on the front, especially one thats meant to be on the rear, was going to detract from the fun I have in the twisty stuff, but it really hasnt.

I imagine Ill be slowing things right down if ever get caught on wet bitumen however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode